Only one fog light???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
Today I had to check my bulbs as the warning light came on, turned out to be one of the reverse bulbs.

Anyway, whilst checking all the bulbs I noticed that only my drivers side rear fog light was working, I changed the bulb but it still wasn't working.:mad:

On closer investigation I came to the conclusion that I am only supposed to have the one!:crazy: The passenger side rear light cluster has one wire less than the other side.

Has anybody else noticed this too? I can't believe MB could be so stingy by leaving out one wire for the other side!!! Surely not.:eek:

Most of the dubs are the same....I wired both of mine on my dubs ... a simple wire run from the other lamp and a bulb livened things up.
I'm going to investigate and do the same with the Benz....

I'll let you know.....

Originally posted by Wheelie
Most of the dubs are the same....I wired both of mine on my dubs ... a simple wire run from the other lamp and a bulb livened things up.
I'm going to investigate and do the same with the Benz....

I'll let you know.....

This may screw up the "bulb out" warning!?!?!? I will be interested to find out the results.

Paul

All Benzo's have one fog light on the drivers side.

MB's reasoning is that the driver behind you will be able to see your brake lights come on more quickly with one fog light than with two symetrical fog lights dazzling away. i.e. they think it's safer (as opposed to cheaper ;) :p ) Most modern cars seem to be following the trend of one fog light these days, with some cheapo marques only having one reversing light :crazy:

S.

On the subject of failed bulbs, the one behind my speedo and fuel gauge on the dash cluster has decided to fail :mad: Another minor job for GF :) I could swear my car knows it's in for a visit.

S.

As I understand the track on the circuit just needs to be soldered and voila 2 foggies.

oh at your own risk, if you blow your car up then I want the bits.

Originally posted by Koolvin
As I understand the track on the circuit just needs to be soldered and voila 2 foggies.

oh at your own risk, if you blow your car up then I want the bits.

I dunno, mine has one less wire going to the NS rear cluster, I might investigate at the weekend but then Steve's theory seems a good one when you think about it.;)

When mine went for it's first MOT they said the wrong fog light worked :confused: , It was the left one working.

Seems that although it was ordered to UK spec they forgot this means the off side (right) fog light :mad:

Company wanted to charge to rewire the fog light, until we pointed out that it was their company (Lancaster) that sold us (my brother) the car in the first place, although a diffrent branch.

Hence they kept quiet and sorted it out :p .

just wanted to say I despise people who drive with thier rear fogies on when it's not foggy and espicially so when it's raining!

There really is one less wire to the taillight on the passenger side.

It isn't "cheapness" because the taillight works on either side, the only difference is the wiring to it...

Koolvin: your taillights are from NL and the bulb works on the correct side doesn't it?

I was thinking of wiring up the other lamp (all you need is a single piece of wire, IIRC it earths through the tracks in the housing) , but I decided against it in the end...well...maybe for the time being ;)

Originally posted by Koolvin
just wanted to say I despise people who drive with thier rear fogies on when it's not foggy and espicially so when it's raining!

I followed a 'K' reg Fiesta today, on the way home from work, he pootled along at agonisingly slow speeds with his rear fog light blazing away on a gloriously sunny clear day. :mad: I don't blame the old duffer in question but more the car manufacturers like Ford and Vauxhall, if MB can design a switch that automatically switches off fogs then why can't they?!? grrr.

S.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
I followed a 'K' reg Fiesta today, on the way home from work, he pootled along at agonisingly slow speeds with his rear fog light blazing away on a gloriously sunny clear day. :mad: I don't blame the old duffer in question but more the car manufacturers like Ford and Vauxhall, if MB can design a switch that automatically switches off fogs then why can't they?!? grrr.

S.

They would still have a bloody bright light somewhere on their dash to tell them though!

To me it is just a sign of how unaware the driver is and how unalert they are.

As for front foggies......................................:devil:

Originally posted by GrahamC230K

As for front foggies......................................:devil:

:bannana:

1.jpg

Double rear foglights are dangeruos IMHO...whenever I drive behind a car with 2 foglights lit for quiet a while, I have difficulties seeing the brake lights coming on because the foglights already half blinded me by then...there is a reason why car manufacturers only use 1 rear foglight instead of two...

the second rear foglight should be rewarded with a fine IMO...but then again, I never ever even use that one foglight myself...

greetingz,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom