OOps ! I could be in the doghous

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merc220cls

SUPPORTER
Car
220 CLS Shooting Brake & 350 SL
The missus was out yesterday at a pre Christmas lunch with her ex colleagues so I had the pleasu

Sorry about this, my iPad is going haywire and jumping all over the place so it posted before I had finished typing.
I'm now on the desktop so to resume the story,

I had the "pleasure" of doing the taxi run, no problem there so I now had a free afternoon and as my grille arrived for the SL, (thanks Matt) I had time to fit it and it looks fab.
Later on the missus called to say "pick us up at 5.30pm" so now I was under pressure as I had a meeting to attend at 6.30pm so it was going to be really tight on time to travel to Irvine and back.
So just a mile or so from home I pulled out of a junction with around 50 yards to go to reach a round-a-bout. As I pulled out of the junction I thought there was very little power then 50 yards later my realisation was true I had little or no power at all so at that time of night and with two lanes of traffic bearing down on me whilst travelling at tick over speed. I immediately hit the hazard switch and managed to clear the round-a-bout without incident. I then had to travel half a mile on tick over to reach the safety of a lay by where I phoned the missus to give her the "good news"
By now I was in panic mode as I had to get home in time for my meeting and would have to travel about two miles before I could circle back for home. I had no warning lights showing, well none on the dash that could help me so I switched off the engine and re started it. I now had to re enter a heavy flow of traffic not knowing if I had full power or not so I waited what seemed to be ages for a gap in the traffic and pulled out. By now power seemed to be restored but within the first mile I was in very heavy traffic queuing up to the next round-a-bout but everything was back to normal and I finally arrived home with just enough time to get changed and out to my meeting.
Speaking about my experience earlier two of my friends said, are you sure you didn't hit the speed limit switch, Doh! This got me thinking, as I had approached the junction where it all started I was "fumbling" with the wiper setting as the Merc auto wipe does not work as good as the one I had on my previous Rover 75 and I think I may have pushed the limiter down as my hand returned to the steering wheel and with the car down to about 3mph. Perhaps it was the time pressure I was under but yes I think I may have been the cause of my own dilemma, its just by good fortune nobody hit me as I rounded that round-a-bout at such a slow speed.
As for the missus, well she was tucked up in bed when I got home thanks to my daughter in law who rescued her and her sister to bring them home.
Speaking this morning the missus admits she has on several occasions hit the same switch restricting her speed but not as I had done at such a low speed.
I know there is a warning light which appears on the stalk plus the speedo would show up in white, the speed restriction but in my case that would have shown very little.
I like cruise control in my car but never use speed limiter, I have a throttle pedal to do that but one criticism I do have with Mercedes and many other cars is why they cannot have one simple switch like on the Rover 75 which controls both resume off and back on. The Mercedes stalk is very confusing at times so much so I don't use cruise as much as I used to.

Now where is that humble pie !

I thought there was a minimum speed. (20mph??) at which the limiter can be activated?

Minimum speed for the limiter always used to be 20mph on Mercedes cars, but on the W177 A-Class (and perhaps other recent production?) its 15mph.

15 mph may be about right but I was too busy checking my mirrors etc I wasn’t looking at the speedo

I thought Speedtronic limit was overridden by depressing the accelerator to the kickdown point?
Only the 'hard' limit set via the cluster menu couldn't be exceeded?

Sorry about this, my iPad is going haywire and jumping all over the place so it posted before I had finished typing.
I'm now on the desktop so to resume the story,

I had the "pleasure" of doing the taxi run, no problem there so I now had a free afternoon and as my grille arrived for the SL, (thanks Matt) I had time to fit it and it looks fab.
Later on the missus called to say "pick us up at 5.30pm" so now I was under pressure as I had a meeting to attend at 6.30pm so it was going to be really tight on time to travel to Irvine and back.
So just a mile or so from home I pulled out of a junction with around 50 yards to go to reach a round-a-bout. As I pulled out of the junction I thought there was very little power then 50 yards later my realisation was true I had little or no power at all so at that time of night and with two lanes of traffic bearing down on me whilst travelling at tick over speed. I immediately hit the hazard switch and managed to clear the round-a-bout without incident. I then had to travel half a mile on tick over to reach the safety of a lay by where I phoned the missus to give her the "good news"
By now I was in panic mode as I had to get home in time for my meeting and would have to travel about two miles before I could circle back for home. I had no warning lights showing, well none on the dash that could help me so I switched off the engine and re started it. I now had to re enter a heavy flow of traffic not knowing if I had full power or not so I waited what seemed to be ages for a gap in the traffic and pulled out. By now power seemed to be restored but within the first mile I was in very heavy traffic queuing up to the next round-a-bout but everything was back to normal and I finally arrived home with just enough time to get changed and out to my meeting.
Speaking about my experience earlier two of my friends said, are you sure you didn't hit the speed limit switch, Doh! This got me thinking, as I had approached the junction where it all started I was "fumbling" with the wiper setting as the Merc auto wipe does not work as good as the one I had on my previous Rover 75 and I think I may have pushed the limiter down as my hand returned to the steering wheel and with the car down to about 3mph. Perhaps it was the time pressure I was under but yes I think I may have been the cause of my own dilemma, its just by good fortune nobody hit me as I rounded that round-a-bout at such a slow speed.
As for the missus, well she was tucked up in bed when I got home thanks to my daughter in law who rescued her and her sister to bring them home.
Speaking this morning the missus admits she has on several occasions hit the same switch restricting her speed but not as I had done at such a low speed.
I know there is a warning light which appears on the stalk plus the speedo would show up in white, the speed restriction but in my case that would have shown very little.
I like cruise control in my car but never use speed limiter, I have a throttle pedal to do that but one criticism I do have with Mercedes and many other cars is why they cannot have one simple switch like on the Rover 75 which controls both resume off and back on. The Mercedes stalk is very confusing at times so much so I don't use cruise as much as I used to.

Now where is that humble pie !
I once did exactly the same in a Vauxhall Insignia hire car, took quite some time to figure it out...

Back out in the car yesterday and everything’s normal so looks like it was the speed limiter
Another lesson learned

I've had the same experience. Tried to squirt out of a side into busy traffic and... ...nothing! Realised reasonably quickly that in my haste I'd knocked the limiter stalk, but not before being rather embarrassed at the lack of progress. Bit of a design flaw I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom