OSX Leopard today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tiger will be getting one more update, according to industry websites.

Miro, I understand what you mean, and to a point agree - but isn't the whole 64 bit thing now in place, without being obvious? Having now used it for a couple of days, it really is just a refined version of the OS as far as I can see.

Decided to UPGRADE to Leopard on my internal disk. Nightmare. Cutting a very long story short I was left a a Blue Screen Of Death (BCOD) as it's called on the Apple Discussion forums.

Ended up having to perform these actions found here
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1195031&tstart=0

1. Reboot into single-user mode (hold Cmd-S while booting machine)
2. Follow the directions OSX gives you when you get to the prompt (I think these were them - just type the two commands it tells you to):
fsck -fy /
/sbin/mount -uw /
3. Remove the following files:
rm -rf /Library/PreferencePanes/ApplicationEnhancer.prefpane
rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/ApplicationEnhancer.framework
rm -rf /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/ApplicationEnhancer.bundle
rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.unsanity.ape.plist
4. Exit, to continue booting normally
exit

Not exactly pretty, or slick. Far from impressed with Apple for letting this go out in this state. Looks like quite a number of people were affected, although not all.

That's self-inflicted. If you'd checked to see if the Unsanity apps were Leopard-safe before installing you might have had a different result. You can't blame Apple for what you've installed yourself

http://forums.macresource.com/read/1/374353

Apple will continue security updates for Tiger. They support the current OS and the previous OS for security updates. I doubt there will be non-security updates for Tiger as the development will have been solely on Leopard for quite some time now

Nick Froome
www.pvision.co.uk

Agree with scotch_uk, never EVER do upgrade of OS. Be it Win (horror of upgrading xp home to pro) or OSX or even Linux (suse to be precise). Keep data separate, install os from 0, reinstall applications, restore data. Job done.

Agree with scotch_uk, never EVER do upgrade of OS. Be it Win (horror of upgrading xp home to pro) or OSX or even Linux (suse to be precise). Keep data separate, install os from 0, reinstall applications, restore data. Job done.

You don't need to do that with OS X - that's the long way round. You install the OS on another drive then use Migration Assistant to pull your data, preferences and apps over. If the app serialisation is keyed to the HD in some way you'll have to reserialise it but that's the only downside

Migration Assistant is utterly brilliant and almost no-one knows about it. You'll find it in Applications > Utilities

Nick Froome
www.pvision.co.uk

You don't need to do that with OS X - that's the long way round. You install the OS on another drive then use Migration Assistant to pull your data, preferences and apps over. If the app serialisation is keyed to the HD in some way you'll have to reserialise it but that's the only downside

Migration Assistant is utterly brilliant and almost no-one knows about it. You'll find it in Applications > Utilities

Nick Froome
www.pvision.co.uk

It's as slow as bejayziz though, handy all the same.

Can anyone tell me about parental controls - apparently, you can limit the time teenagers can spend on the PC....or limit the amount of time on a per application (ie msm messenger) basis.

MacOS X 10.5.1 update - Leopard

Thought you Mac users might like to see this.

Apple Inc. has released the first update to the latest version of its MacOS X operating system. Users of MacOS X 10.5 (Leopard) are strongly encouraged to download and install the 10.5.1 update which resolves a number of problems with the operating system.

The most important fix resolves a serious problem that could have led to loss of data when files were copied between hard disks. Other fixes have been made to wireless networking support inside MacOS X and the firewall which helps protect Macs from attack. There are also a large number of updates to applications that generally improve performance and reliability.

The 10.5.1 update is 110 Mb in size and works on the current range of Intel-based Macintoshes and older PowerPC Macs.

The easiest way to perform the update is to use the Software Update application which can be found inside System Preferences on the Dock, or through the Apple menu at the top-left of the screen. If you are a more experienced Mac user you can download the update from the Apple Website (linked below).

Please save all work and close any unnecessary applications before running the update. You will need to restart your computer after performing the update. Some Macs might take longer than normal to reboot the first time they are restarted after updating, this is nothing to worry about and will not occur on future start-ups.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

W E B L I N K S
MacOS X 10.5.1 download:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx1051update.html

About MacOS X 10.5.1 :
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306907
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember always to update anti-virus systems daily, to use a personal firewall and a spyware inhibitor and to check for system updates regularly.

Safe Computing!

Cheers

Vic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom