Over 2.5k miles in 10 days in my W212 E63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds like a fantastic trip, nice post :thumb:

Several years back my wife & I plus our two teenage lads did a similar trip, drove to southern Italy for a fortnight stay there - on way down we went through France, Belgium, Luxemborg, Germany (took a wrong turn and ended up on the autobahn :rolleyes: ) and then Switzerland. We all absolutely loved every minute of it.

You mention the roads, I can honestly say that during the whole trip we were only held up once due to roadworks and even then we were stationary for no more than 15 mins or so. Just proves what a terrible road network we have here!!

Shame that I had didn't have an AMG at the time - now that would have been the icing on the cake :cool:

One day maybe. I have a big birthday next year and i'm very tempted to take a trip to the Nürburgring, anyone done that? Very tempted and quietly confident about my own driving ability but worried that some other numpty might get a little over enthusiastic!!

We were only held up when we were at a road block to be pulled over, otherwise it was just continuous driving, over 1,000 miles or more all over Germany, Belgium, France, Holland etc. The journey back to Newcastle from Dover where we had stayed after getting off the shuttle so we would be fresh the following day was the worst bit, delays, road works, accidents. We set off at 9.30am and got home about 6. Ridiculous. Our roads and some rules pertaining to them and speed limits etc. badly need updated.

Our roads are smoother, but that doesn’t bother me, it’s the stop starting, delays, queues, being restricted to 70mph or 50mph and having lorries up a hill causing a mile tailback because they are all trying to overtake each other, it’s so frustrating and makes you not want to drive. Driving abroad was great despite the huge miles and an actual pleasure which I’ll be doing more of.

I usually get frustrated by middle lane hoggers as soon as I hit motorway on a way back from ferry. Difference in driving style between continent and UK is very visible straight away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom