• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Paint damage in car park

PaulOliveira

Car
C220 W205
My car was damaged today in a car park in Farnborough (wife and the goddam tkmax).
The DEEP paint chip with nasty dent angle makes me absolutely sure it was hit by the rear door of this mercedes GLC.
My rear dashcam seems to show this reg: HK67 XUX

Me and the driver of the GLC (with is family) arrived at the same time to leave.
When I got in the car and drove off, my wife said: "Strange... that guy was looking at you!". All made sense when I stopped at Shell for Petrol 2 minutes later!
This disrespectful lack of accountability makes me so angry!!

Do you guys have recommendations where I could have this damage fixed?
Any experiences with this company "chipsaway"?

Attachments

• mercedes.jpg
    mercedes.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 57
  • damage.jpg
    damage.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 61
HK67 XUX is showing up as untaxed. Here's the dilema, do you report him now, or wait until the 24th Jan when his MOT is up in the hope he does not renew that either. Your call?

My car was damaged today in a car park in Farnborough (wife and the goddam tkmax).
The DEEP paint chip with nasty dent angle makes me absolutely sure it was hit by the rear door of this mercedes GLC.
My rear dashcam seems to show this reg: HK67 XUX

Me and the driver of the GLC (with is family) arrived at the same time to leave.
When I got in the car and drove off, my wife said: "Strange... that guy was looking at you!". All made sense when I stopped at Shell for Petrol 2 minutes later!
This disrespectful lack of accountability makes me so angry!!

Do you guys have recommendations where I could have this damage fixed?
Any experiences with this company "chipsaway"?
If you intend to Upload the Cam Footage to one of the Police Footage Sites, please be aware that you need to Upload it before 7 Days are up, as after that time they won't accept it!:oops:

Unfortunately neither of the dashcam’s shows irrefutable evidence.

I’m now looking at this “SMART paint repairs” as an option to remove the dent and fix the paint.

Daylight photo
This won’t be cheap!

Attachments

• IMG_4709.jpeg
    IMG_4709.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
Unfortunately it's another bite out of life's Shit Sandwich.
You need to suck it up and move on.
Don't let these scumbags get inside your head.
Chips away are expensive nowadays, for what they provide.
Look to your local independent bodyshop. Give them your work.
Incidentally I use my wife's Twingo for shopping trips now, after both my A7 and my C class have both been (slightly marked) in car parks.
Good luck getting it sorted anyway.

Hello OP

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. Though this won't help, there are tens of thousands of ignorant/nasty/rude/careless people around that don't give a stuff for other people's property/etc.

Happen to me years ago and old guy, close to his 80's getting out on a very windy day let go of the door and it slammed in to my C class, around 2014 - I got out to have a look and he started on me "what's your problem.." at that point I'd said noting to him. I had a look and a small surface paint mark and told him politely that he did that and he said "God did" meaning the wind and squared up to me. I was in a no win situation if I'd took to hand to hand combat m win or lose would have looked bad so I said "you don't intimidate me and if you can't mange to open your door without damaging others property you should not be on the road." thankfully he walked off without saying anything else

More recently 24th Dec 2023 a young guy about 30's loading his sprog into the back of his banger as i sat in car park/supermarket waiting for mrs to return - was loading his 3 kids ( I was parked in an end bay and parked right on the edge of the lines so to give the car on the otherside more space if a fool was getting in/out - as the fool was loading the second kid and his wife munching a cream cake standing watching his large backside kept hitting his rear door and then door hit my car. I got out he did not even look backwards but I knew he knew - I said you have made that mark on my door - credit to the clown he said "Sorry" and turned around carrying on strapping his 3 kids into the car, one child seat. When he finished I asked him politely what he intended to do about the mark on my car and he ranted about being a dad, difficult to look after 3 young kids. I told hi he did it and perhaps his wife could help and told him we had 4 kids but that did not make us "irresponsible and ignorant" - he just got in the car and drove off.

Both occasions there was not a lot i could do about it as it was the donkeys word against mine. I managed to hand polish out both but when the car is washed and i look for the damaged paint i can see it but generally can't

Therefore, put it down to experience, get it touched up and as always try to park away from the irresponsible, dim-witted donkeys that have no respect/decency for other people's hard-earned property.

Please do move on, time is a good healer. Good luck

I used to use chipsaway when they first started many years ago when they were brilliant, but as technology has changed they have become less interested, and rely more on technology rather than experience. I would also go to my local body shop. The position of your problem would make a Smart repair unlikely.

HK67 XUX is showing up as untaxed. Here's the dilema, do you report him now, or wait until the 24th Jan when his MOT is up in the hope he does not renew that either. Your call?
I won't be making a report (I honestly did thought about it after seeing what you wrote).

It would feel like vengeance or retribution, and that does not sit well with me.

Shopping centre car parks are a curse and a nightmare .... For all the above stated reasons.
Some years ago, the late Mrs J used to visit the Owlcotes Centre near Pudsey (Leeds).
I warned her repeatedly to park well away from the main area and in a side area which was less risky.
Sadly she didn't believe me until one day she returned to her car to find that some bar-steward had shunted it and driven off.
The shopping centre security were less than helpful with CCTV coverage.
Quelle surprise !

Free tip. If you see a baby seat in a car, try to park as far away from it as possible just like you would when you see a battered car parked up. Yes, we have a baby/car seat in our cars but we respect other people's property, unlike the misfits who could not care less.

I won't be making a report (I honestly did thought about it after seeing what you wrote).

It would feel like vengeance or retribution, and that does not sit well with me.
I'm afraid that I never have any qualms about reporting untaxed vehicles; I always work on the premise that if there's no tax and or MOT, is it insured also?
Some people work extremely hard to maintain their vehicles to a road legal standard and I personally have no time for those who consider the rules don't apply to them.

I'm afraid that I never have any qualms about reporting untaxed vehicles; I always work on the premise that if there's no tax and or MOT, is it insured also?
Some people work extremely hard to maintain their vehicles to a road legal standard and I personally have no time for those who consider the rules don't apply to them.
Well said.

Still showing as untaxed, MOT runs out on Wednesday. It does show as insured though.

Find an independent witness (from somewhere if you get my drift). Contact your own insurance. tell them what happened. With his details. They will chase him up and hopefully get his insurance to cover the cost. your independent witness will swing it.

Hello OP

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. Though this won't help, there are tens of thousands of ignorant/nasty/rude/careless people around that don't give a stuff for other people's property/etc.

Happen to me years ago and old guy, close to his 80's getting out on a very windy day let go of the door and it slammed in to my C class, around 2014 - I got out to have a look and he started on me "what's your problem.." at that point I'd said noting to him. I had a look and a small surface paint mark and told him politely that he did that and he said "God did" meaning the wind and squared up to me. I was in a no win situation if I'd took to hand to hand combat m win or lose would have looked bad so I said "you don't intimidate me and if you can't mange to open your door without damaging others property you should not be on the road." thankfully he walked off without saying anything else

More recently 24th Dec 2023 a young guy about 30's loading his sprog into the back of his banger as i sat in car park/supermarket waiting for mrs to return - was loading his 3 kids ( I was parked in an end bay and parked right on the edge of the lines so to give the car on the otherside more space if a fool was getting in/out - as the fool was loading the second kid and his wife munching a cream cake standing watching his large backside kept hitting his rear door and then door hit my car. I got out he did not even look backwards but I knew he knew - I said you have made that mark on my door - credit to the clown he said "Sorry" and turned around carrying on strapping his 3 kids into the car, one child seat. When he finished I asked him politely what he intended to do about the mark on my car and he ranted about being a dad, difficult to look after 3 young kids. I told hi he did it and perhaps his wife could help and told him we had 4 kids but that did not make us "irresponsible and ignorant" - he just got in the car and drove off.

Both occasions there was not a lot i could do about it as it was the donkeys word against mine. I managed to hand polish out both but when the car is washed and i look for the damaged paint i can see it but generally can't

Therefore, put it down to experience, get it touched up and as always try to park away from the irresponsible, dim-witted donkeys that have no respect/decency for other people's hard-earned property.

Please do move on, time is a good healer. Good luck
Didn’t even offer of a slice of cream cake perhaps? Nevertheless, sounds like you handled the situations with decorum. Time is a healer indeed - well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom