Palmers W124 Superturbodiesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can average over 35 if i want too. They really are superb on fuel for the power. Its amazing.

I've been speaking to Luke at DPUK for a while, just finding the time to go up there as I'm not aware of anyone who can work on my C250TD in terms of tuning down here in London.

Looking superb though mate...!

I've been speaking to Luke at DPUK for a while, just finding the time to go up there as I'm not aware of anyone who can work on my C250TD in terms of tuning down here in London.

Looking superb though mate...!

I know its a trek but he is the best by far.

Thanks man :)

Ritual clean for mod nats tomorrow.

HQ4Mn72.jpg

Also got my original grill and new bonnet star on

Psv6Uxw.jpg

Replaced the passenger side check strap as my door got jammed open too.

Belated pic of the merc on out clubstand at modified nationals

ZD07xu3.jpg

Not much has been happening. Just driving her and annoying other motorists ha!

My throttle cable snapped a few nights ago. Had to drive her home on the clutch. Used the slack to repair. It never occured to me to actually take any photos when i had all the inlet off showing the pump. But DPUK is sending out a new cable so ill get some pics when i fit the new one :)

Harry, for a mild increase to 180 bhp there's the SeanyT socketed chip remap available for around £300, for the 605 and 606 engines.
Very good, apparently, I know two people who have them.
All done by post. ECU / ESL 'security' bypassed.

New cable arrived yesterday. So this morning i whipped the inlet off and got to it.

QFQED0a.jpg

You can see the cable fraying slightly. Hence why ive fitted a replacement. Also lots of slack from my half assed attempt at fixing it last time. I adjusted it all properly this time so i now have full throttle movement and a tight cable with no slack.

Harry, for a mild increase to 180 bhp there's the SeanyT socketed chip remap available for around £300, for the 605 and 606 engines.
Very good, apparently, I know two people who have them.
All done by post. ECU / ESL 'security' bypassed.

I was gonna do that bud, but he's moved to the Netherlands now and said he hasn't much time now as he's working now. Have been looking for other people but no one else seems to do it.

Love this motor, I’ve got a HUGE itch to scratch in the form of a daily high mile commuting super turbo W124. Can’t find any for sale at the mo which is annoying, although I can understand why they don’t get sold very often!

I’m half tempted to buy a good nick 300d S124 and send it to DPUK for the conversion. But it’ll be expensive! I’ve spoken to them briefly via their Facebook page, but it’s not the best platform to chat and I have a billion questions involving a conversion!

I’m not sure if it’ll be the same involvement to buy a petrol version for conversion or if it has to be the diesel! Questions questions!!

A petrol donor would only need the ignition switch / vacuum changing, which is easy!
But...It's the rest of the car that costs, when putting 400+ BHP through 25 year old mechanicals, there are no short cuts there.
It would be interesting to see what Palmer has spent so far on his beautiful white diesel beast. He might not want to tell..

I'm not a betting type, but it may be close to buying early C63?

It seems as though Palmer had bought the car already converted to super turbo. So MOST of the major work had been carried out already. I’m guessing by the spec, that DPUK did the work in the first place (it maybe even a DPUK numbered vehicle, with their own ID plate under the bonnet?).

I was thinking about trying to acquire a 320 petrol 124, as from what I’ve read, they have the larger diff/prop setup from factory (210mm diff over the 185mm on lesser models?). That would save major issues other than new doughnuts at least!
Gearbox wise I was thinking BMW ZF 6 speed, so thats more of the driveline taken care of!
Just getting the intercooler/rad setup, throttle cable and clutch/brake pedal assembely, oh and not forgetting brake upgrades (W163 ML430 calipers and discs supposedly bolt right on and under 17” wheels too, 343mm discs + 4pot stoppers should be adequate!)

The thing you have to remember is when you put 400-500 ponies through a (in my case) 28 year old car, things will break. But stick with it, and you eventually iron out all the foibles.

My issues were:

- Sticky full throttle (thats quite scary when it was 562whp)
- Prop doughnut obliteration (fitted a quaife with mahuuuusive doughnut)
- Slow speed driving (fixed by the anti jerk kit)
- Snapping a heavy duty shaft (dont be a knob)

Other than those its been fairly reliable. And with it being a fully mechanical diesel - i actually trust it more than my mondeo daily in terms of reliability.

It is indeed a DPUK car. Number 2!

Did you need to do anything to the rear subframe or its mounting bushes?

My 124 is with DPUk as I type :devil:

It won’t be ready until Sept/Oct but it’s a fully loaded ‘96 E320 S124, 7.5mm 603 pump with anti jerk, Borgwarner S200 turbo (not sure on specs but I’ll find out later on, it’s what Luke recommended), manual conversion to BMW ZF 6speed (530D). Custom ex manifold, straight through exhaust (2 silencers + screamer pipe), speedo converter box etc etc. I’ve told him I want to retain A/C and if poss, cruise control! Not sure on 2nd option as he didn’t actually answer me on that 1, so I will reiterate that 1 soon!

At the moment I’m like a kid waiting for Xmas!!!! :banana:

Something ive been tinkering with the center air vent. They only ever blow cold and with no A/C its pretty useless.
I used the ends of the front fascia and some abs plastic to make a mouting area for a boost and egt gauge. I will eventually dip it in carbon like the rest of the trim when i have the gauges in.

UuRc4Ts.jpg

Oh, I see it's for sale now?
Looks lovely.

Its taken me a while to decide properly but yeah, i need to let it go unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom