PB5 long tube headers on e55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The only way to get around, if you are referring to the MOT situation, is to either have a friendly MOT station or fit 200 cell racing CATs.
Ive never had any MOT issues with my car since primaries were removed for headers

I left the secondaries and passed MOT emissions without a problem, officially they have to do a visual and if cats are missing its a fail.

Mine used to fail but then I had no CATs to be fair so I was thinking from that perspective.

Mine probably failed emissions without any too.

As stated by Alps - MOT testers are supposed to look and fail if any CATs are missing.

And the secondaries are 200 cell too I believe so if they are still fitted that should be OK.

But like any MOT-related thing, it would depend on how anal the tester is and what knowledge they have (i.e. how many CATs it left the factory with).

I left the secondaries and passed MOT emissions without a problem, officially they have to do a visual and if cats are missing its a fail.
If it passes the emissions test they will never fail the car for cats missing

If it passes the emissions test they will never fail the car for cats missing

That is what I found with my previous E55 with secondary cats removed.
But legally an MOT tester can fail it if he notices the cats have been removed.

I think the question i was essentially getting at was if you put headers on, what do you do about the cats? I take it the primaries won't connect up so do you ditch them and just keep the secondary.. ? That then passes the "visual" and the emissions?

If you put long tube headers on, you have to remove the primary CATs and the LTHs won't fit otherwise.

If you still have your secondary, keep those as you state.

Technically, it shouldn't pass the visual because you are missing the primaries (and a tester probably know they are normally there) but it depends how jobsworth they are (they will see the secondaries and be OK with it, or, they can see you are missing primaries and fail it), and whether you pass on emissions which you should do with just secondaries as has been the case for others.

Secondaries are there to heat up the exhaust gases quicker and make the primaries work more efficiently but they are enough to do the job alone.

If you put long tube headers on, you have to remove the primary CATs and the LTHs won't fit otherwise.

If you still have your secondary, keep those as you state.

Technically, it shouldn't pass the visual because you are missing the primaries (and a tester probably know they are normally there) but it depends how jobsworth they are (they will see the secondaries and be OK with it, or, they can see you are missing primaries and fail it), and whether you pass on emissions which you should do with just secondaries as has been the case for others.

Secondaries are there to heat up the exhaust gases quicker and make the primaries work more efficiently but they are enough to do the job alone.
Thanks that makes sense, its a job I've thought about in the future, got my secondaries sitting in the garage.

Oh I see - when I said if you still had them, I meant fitted to the car but if you still have them in the garage, you can get them re-fitted. Cheaper than buying racing CATs.

I had an H pipe on mine, so despite later-buying a cheap set of secondaries from shytebay in case I really needed to fit them back, I never did need to refit them and just ran with a full de-CAT.

Car stank though so I would re-fit at least the secondaries if I still had the car or racing CATs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom