PB5 long tube headers on e55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benjy88

Car
E55 AMG
Hi everyone

I have a w211 e55 and I have bought some PB5 long tube headers that are for a LHD Car so there going to take a little bit of work and fettling to get them on.

I have fitted the passenger side header and all went well but the issue is going to be the drivers side due to the steering column being in the way. After loads of searching I found out there’s a chap on here that’s had the same brand modified to fit and I have messaged him a while ago but no reply as of yet, but I didn’t know if anyone else has done it or know of it done.

If so do you know how much work was involved as I’m going to an exhaust centre this Saturday to get it done and if I can give them some pointers to save some time and money in the long run as someone’s already done it then happy days.

Thanks

Cant help with the exhaust fitment but I would mention fitting new engine mountings whilst the exhaust is out of the way.
Apparently its a devil once LTH are fitted.

Good advice, my Engine had dropped so much before i fitted new engine mounts, I couldn't believe how much higher the lump sat once the new ones were fitted, Perhaps this would make the small modification needed easier if new mounts were fitted.

New vs Old

43236123_10156215962427284_4329618727071907840_n.jpg

I did all of mine a couple of months ago luckily as I had a nasty vibration on idle and could feel the engine moving about quite a bit. One had separated and they both had dropped loads.

Well I had it done and the sound difference is amazing. Seems a touch quicker also.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1549975723337.jpg
    FB_IMG_1549975723337.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 43
Were they a straight forward fit Benjy?

I assume they were imported from the US?
Do you have a ball park figure of the cost please?

The passenger side went straight on just needed to push a head shield up a touch.
The drivers had to have the back 2 branch's redone to clear the steering column.

I bought them from someone over here who imported them and decided not to fit them so I got them for a good price, cost me 450 to get done.

Are you having it remapped? also does your car have a secondary decat, Did you keep the primary's?

Now THAT was a bargain.

I seem to remember it was wise to remap after headers but I can't remember now if essential.

You will have to do a decent sound clip of the car now and post up...

Just looking at the picture of your car in the Avatar - they still look amazing to me even now. Timeless!

The car was already mapped by msl before and I spoke to him recently and he said I don't need to yet. No all the cats are gone and resonator just the e55 back boxs left.

Ye I love the look of it looks lovely when it's clean.

Sorry, I've barely been on here recently.

The work done to modify your headers looks little better than mine.

Do yours vibrate anywhere at all? I put 1cm shorter polyurethane engine mounts which completely solved my residual fitment issues on both the driver and passenger side.

Sorry, I've barely been on here recently.

The work done to modify your headers looks little better than mine.

Do yours vibrate anywhere at all? I put 1cm shorter polyurethane engine mounts which completely solved my residual fitment issues on both the driver and passenger side.
So you did away with the oil filled engine mounts completely ?

They did a very good job on them. I had to push up a heat shield on the passenger side at the point where it starts to go under the belly pan on the corner, I also strapped the passenger mount so it won’t lift up and I don’t get any rubbing at all and it makes it so much better to drive when strapped I wish I had done it earlier.

Correct. They're anodised billet aluminium housing adjustable/serviceable polyurethane inserts.
Since your post I have seen them on line. proper sturdy looking things. I have just replaced mine wiht Lemforder units, As mine is the weakest of the AMG V8 M113 engines I think they will do the job but the billet ones look the 'business' :thumb:

Can anyone let me know who modified the the runners on the LT's as I'm in need of this doing

My engine mounts were replaced at same time as headers fitted

How are you getting around the no cats issue?

I've read somewhere that LTH people remove the primaries but keep the secondaries.

How are you getting around the no cats issue?

I've read somewhere that LTH people remove the primaries but keep the secondaries.

The only way to get around, if you are referring to the MOT situation, is to either have a friendly MOT station or fit 200 cell racing CATs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom