Performance Exhuast for SL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SL Rookie

Car
SL500 (129)
I'm looking into changing the centre sections of the exhaust on a 1991 SL500. The purpose is to allow some freeflow and remove the restricted feel of the response from the throttle, oh and it may sound nicer too.

Has anyone replaced these sections and have there been any issues to report?

Is the CAT likely to cause a problem?

SL Rookie,

IMHO, changing the centre sections will not make a noticable difference to anything.

If your car is J reg or older, you can take off the Cats with a clear concience. Any newer than that, you'll probably have to replace them for the MOT.

I say probably, you might just get away with it....;)

The change in performance will not be that great though, but you may see 1-2 mpg improvement in consumption.

NOT TRUE AT ALL, my god

mercedes catalytic converter and exhaust is probably THE MOST restrictive of ANY manufacturer,

on your SL500 you should get roughly 40HP boost with straight pipes and high flow exhaust, not to mention it would sound absolutely amazing under full throttle. That would be the very first mod i do, ALong with high flow ram air cold air intake

Originally posted by S32 AMG
NOT TRUE AT ALL, my god

mercedes catalytic converter and exhaust is probably THE MOST restrictive of ANY manufacturer,

on your SL500 you should get roughly 40HP boost with straight pipes and high flow exhaust, not to mention it would sound absolutely amazing under full throttle. That would be the very first mod i do, ALong with high flow ram air cold air intake

You don't think 40BHP is a bit exagerated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom