• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Petrol sounding like a diesel..

jimbob35

Car
C180 W203 Coupe (2003) 1.8L Petrol, Manual.
When starting from cold the engine spends the first second or two clattering like a diesel, there is also a momentary metal grating noise and then all is well..

The oil has recently been topped up, but this has been occurring pre/post last service a few months ago. I neglected to mention it at the service.

It does sometimes happen when starting a warm engine, but less noticeable.

Any ideas fellas?

Hi, what milage are you at and has it been serviced regularly?
Could it be two seperate issues like initial cam rattle oil starvation and also a worn alternator bearing?

'Petrol sounding like a diesel' is exactly how I would describe a clatter which is occurring in the engine bay of my 2010 A Class at present,awaiting dealer investigation. It's when the engine is idling - or at least that's when it's most apparent.

Someone with more knowledge than me said it sounded like 'a belt noise' - maybe 'alternator pulley'. Will report further in due course.

Likely culprit is the belt tensioner damper.

Thanks for the responses. I'll give the Wynns a try for sure.

The alternator is new, and the noise occurred before and after it was replaced so I think I can rule that out.

I'm close to 80k, full Mercedes service history. B service due in 3k miles.

The belt tensioner dampener 'feels' like something I could check myself, would that be possible?

I had someting similar on my W202 @ about 120k.

To fix it I used engine flush, follow the instructions on the tin, then drain the old oil (notice the sludge and crap) then change oil filter and fill with new good quality oil. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom