Phaeton update.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't speak for what an installer would charge , as I have always just bought the kits and fitted them myself - it really is very simple .

The basic CC9060 kit is about £150 - this includes the touchscreen , the main electronic module , the backplate onto which the phone cradle fits , microphone and loudspeaker .

In addition , you need to buy the correct cradle to suit your phone - these can range in price from £30 or so for basic phones up to £70 or so for smartphones .

You will also need an aerial - this can range for a simple 'tax disc holder' antenna which sticks to the inside of the windscreen , through various 'glass mount' types to roof or wing mounted types which require a hole to be drilled in the bodywork but do offer the best performance - prices from about £15 to about £50

You may also need mounting brackets for the touchscreen and/or the cradle mount - you can use 'sticky fixers' or drill into the dash if you want , but brackets avoid the need for this at only a few pounds - people like Brodit have a range of brackets to suit different cars , or if you are handy like me you can make your own.

Connecting the carkit up only requires four wires -

Permanent live
Switched live
Ground
Telephone mute ( if your radio supports this )

Since all of these are available at the back of the radio , and most radios now use ISO connectors , you can buy a loom with the carkit which has male and female ISO connectors and just plugs in making all necessary connections . You can also buy a relay box which again just plugs in behind a standard car radio if you want to used the car speakers ( it switches the speakers between the radio and the carkit ) .

I would normally reckon on between one and two hours of my time to fit a carkit ( most of this is removing bits of trim and running cables out of sight ) . A fitter who does this daily would certainly be quicker , but if you wanted to DIY it is no more complex than fitting a new stereo system and would be easily done on , say , a Saturday afternoon .

The Bury kit comes with easy to follow fitting instructions .

Cost of all the components is likely to be in the region of £200-£250 , what a fitter would charge to do the job I can't say .

So what would be the price, roughly, of a Bury kit and a mobile installer please?

My phone stays in my pocket & uses bluetooth, so no need for cradles etc. Supplied & fitted at your home or work should be around £250 all in. (that includes cable loom to mute MB radio & use existing speakers)

Russ

Last edited:
I have a Passat that has the premium bluetooth kit installed that uses rSap and as you know will really only sync with rSap Nokias.
I have looked into this in great detail and have found the solution to be an upgrade of the phone controller which in my car is easily accessible under the front seat.
I changed it for a module available on eBay for about £100 and now I can connect any phone via Bluetooth and even stream music to my stereo system and use all the functions like steering wheel buttons and nav screen to dial out and receive calls. It really is what it should have been from the start.....

Check out one I have found on eBay but I think it has ended.....hopefully it's a similar system in your Phaeton!

EBay listing Bluetooth item

Mark.

heres my parrot kit installed in my w202 with hidden mic and stereo integration. i really like it. Never puts a foot wrong and easy to use when in motion.

Attachments

• IMG00217-20110403-1738.jpg
    IMG00217-20110403-1738.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 104
Whenever I have bought a new to market handset , Bury's lead time for a new cradle ( and software , if appropriate ) has been around 12 weeks .

I was referring to the CC9060 Bluetooth kit, not the cradle Uni8 kits.

I charge £220 for the CC9060 fitted, unless there is a boot mounted amp or something else that requires a more expensive interface.

The CC9060 has Bluetooth built into the main unit , therefore uses the System 9 cradles which charge and hold the phone as well as providing the antenna interface . The System 9 cradles still cost about the same as the older System 8 ones , though . The CC9060 will work with earlier non-Bluetooth cradles from the System 8 , but not with later ones (such as iPhone) cradles which have Bluetooth built in .

Regardless of which system you are using , the lead time from release of a new handset to availability of the cradle is about 12 weeks .

While you could use the system without a cradle , you then don't get the benefit of an external antenna , nor can you charge the phone from the kit .

Since I also use the phone for navigation , it needs to be in a cradle ; those who want to use it as a music player will also need the cradle .

My Sony system has no amplification in the head unit , with DSP , amplifiers , changers in the boot but still only requires the simple 4 wire interface I mentioned above .

Last edited:
Regardless of which system you are using , the lead time from release of a new handset to availability of the cradle is about 12 weeks .

As I said in my post, software updates are not as frequent for the CC9060 bluetooth kit, I made no mention of cradle productions times.

Anyway all this is way OT from issues with a Phaeton

I'd ring and make an appointment with the most senior member of the dealership about a very serious legal matter.

I'd print off this

Sale of Goods Act 1979

Arrive stoney faced with a list as a covering note of the car's initial selling spec. 2 owners, bluetooth etc.

Then circle the bluetooth and 2 owners and say "these items here directly contravene THIS" (1979 selling of goods act).

"You have 24 hours to tell me how you intend to resolve this". And walk out. No iffs, no buts, just walk. Smell the fear. :cool:

I'd ring and make an appointment with the most senior member of the dealership about a very serious legal matter.

I'd print off this

Sale of Goods Act 1979

Arrive stoney faced with a list as a covering note of the car's initial selling spec. 2 owners, bluetooth etc.

Then circle the bluetooth and 2 owners and say "these items here directly contravene THIS" (1979 selling of goods act).

"You have 24 hours to tell me how you intend to resolve this". And walk out. No iffs, no buts, just walk. Smell the fear. :cool:

Now that sounds like a plan. That will make someones Monday morning.

My friend had similar experience, the Phaeton was advertised loaded with options, many of which did not materialise when he came to collect the car (he had not seen it in the flesh before agreeing the deal!). Sunroof was one of them... luckily he had the advert printed out and brought it with him, and got a hefty discount off the pre-agreed price (after telling them how much he earns a day which he would seek to recover from them as they made him come all the way to the remote dealership on false pretences...). So it seems that misleading advertising may be a pattern with VW - if so then I am not sure why they do this, as they ultimately end up compensating unhappy customers... Good luck.

Hmmm... Ditch a car that you feel is in all material ways a good one - because of phone niggles and understated prior owners. And jump into an unknown car with who knows what issues?

Not sure I'd do that - I'd just negotiate.

A big bit of me wants to keep the car as there are no 3.2 petrols with low mileage (49K)about it seems.

Full VW service history - if its genuine given the owners question.

It's a nice blue - as opposed to the usual silver, light grey, dark grey and black

It's pre March 2006 so cheaper Road Tax, none in VW AUC system similarly dated.

I just need a jolly good sweetener from the garage.

There has to be a good fix for the phone. Saw this kit on eBay, I wonder what it does.

phaeton blue tooth | eBay UK

Looks like a MB viseeo version but my car doesn't have the phone-prep.

But this looks promising perhaps???

OEM Geniune VW Bluetooth KIT RCD 510 RNS 510 MFD3 A2DP | eBay UK

I'll ask the dealer when I have him pinned to the wall tomorrow

I'd print off this

Sale of Goods Act 1979

I think I'd take this option as a first step

At the negotiation stage I'd then be looking at (or getting them to look at) alternative phone kits.

I would study service history carefully with the V5 to be sure of the accuracy of the history (I bought a citroen XM once having seen the full service history. Burried deeper in the glove box was the original service history which had different dealer stamps and missing stamps. Turned out that the one they had showed me was false and the incomplete one was correct. Through the main dealer computer system I was able to track down the missing stamps. The supplier had just found it easier to buy a new book & get fraudulent stamps)

Finally, be prepared to walk away from the deal. Contracturally you are on strong ground. There will be another car along soon. Although there is the risk that another car may also have problems, there is the chance that it doesn't and you will enter the negotiation with your eyes open wider than before

Chaps,

Just got back from VW garage.

No drama, no hassle. Blood pressure stable. Decent coffee.

They are very sorry to hear of my problems, understand my reasons for rejecting it and are happy to swap the car if I wish.

I get the feeling the phone install will continue to be a problem and it seems highly unlikely a suitable kit can be fitted. I don't know enough about them and the garage must be the VW experts, so I'll bow to their judgement.

The 4 owners issue is one that slipped in under their radar it seems - he showed me the cars history on the VW system and it is possible it has been registered by two VW dealers during its early life. It was a VW corporate car for 6 months or so as it was registered to VW UK HQ. It then went to a dealer(s) as a demo.

They only have one Phaeton in group stock at £35K. Probably a bit too much !

They also sell Lexus but I prefer cars from The Fatherland thank you very much.

There is a nice looking (diesel unfortunately) low miler at another VW dealer. He is going to call them and see what he can do for me. I have made it clear my wallet is staying tightly shut.

It looks good in (shiney battleship?) grey with grey interior and has the added advantage of a factory phone / bluetooth install. Yippee! It does have some 19 inch wheels that I'd be happier without, but it also has a number of other vital toys missing from mine. i.e. Power boot close, TV, upgraded leather and massage / memory seats.

As a post March 2006 car it will qualify for the higher Road Tax though so that's an extra £245(?) to HMG. Grrr!

Anyway, I am expecting a call before close of play today with a let's make Palfrem happy solution.

Watch this space.

I would not have the car they have left... Your already not happy with the spec, its more money, more to tax...

Wait for the right one.

So whats the deal are you handing the car back and they give you your money back?

If you have to pay higher tax, get the biggest engine :D

mmm, I'm suspicious of that threshold. I wouldn't mind betting there'll be further brackets added to separate family MPVs from supercars/ v10s etc

Just tried to look at used Phaetons on the VW website - is it me or is it the most unfriendly complicated used car search site ever? I gave up in the end and looked at Autotrader - much easier!

^ I had a quick look on piston heads?

Seems V10's and 3.0Tdi's popular and the v6 not so?

Whats the difference in the figures between the 3.0Tdi and the 3.2? V6?

I would guess the TDi's will be easier to sell, more to choose from now also. Even the V10's look good value and probably 'as' economical as a 3.2 petrol?

How many miles do you do in it?

ooh and having a quick look some very odd wood trim colours.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom