• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Pond Cleaners

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
In the new house we have a small pond. I spent a few hours draining as much as I can and got rid of a lot of weed and general carp. But of a bonus also found the hose had popped of the pump, which I thought was fubared.

Still has plenty of dirt in it though. Has anyone tried any of these? Good Ideas Tornado PondVac-Pond Cleaner-Pondvac-487 | eBay UK Seem good value, but wonder if a bit too cheap...

Cheers

David

That looks a bit small and lightweight to me.

Why not use a sealed barrel, filter sock and vacuum cleaner with hose...

say again? Now I am confused.... Would that be a heath robinson get up.

I'm not sure if I am brave enough to face the ramifications of introducing Dolly Dyson to water...

Use a decent sized barrel with a hose leading into the water and exiting into the barrel via a filter. Apply suction using the vacuum cleaner which will suck water and filth into the barrel, thus filtering it.

When the barrel is nearly full empty the water out and clean the filter.

A waste of time.

What do you call a small pond? And does it have fish in it?

Just empty using the pump or a bucket.

In effect if if it natural and balanced it will remain clean and clear with only a once a year emptying required, to cut back weeds and remove any leaves that have sunk etc.
can still do that with fish and wildlife in it. ( put them in a bucket)

Most people would advocate some sort of filter, ultra violet or just sponge etc.

I have nothing in either of my two very small features, the waterfall always goes green, the "wilder" pond does really well.

In fact it is a requirement if you want to buy fish, I put 5 goldfish in mine for a couple of quid from the garde ncentre at Brigg and the guy said " what filter do you have"?

Nil I reply.
Cannot sell you the fish then he says, fish welfare!

He did and no doubt they will die eventually.

Hello are there fish in the pond?

We inherited a pond with our current house, filters, uv lamps, pumps all sorts of gizmos. I love watching the fish but it does require regular cleaning of the filters, checking the water ph, algi control etc etc...

A steep learning curve as the sellers were going separate ways and left us to it with no 'instructions'.

Worth it though
fishy.jpg

I would advise not messing with it. Itś not a good idea to change all the water,itś harmful to the fish.Also,if it has more than one filter pad,don´t clean them all at the same time. Never clean them with tap water,remove some pond water and clean them in that.

For the third time (thankyou photobucket for crashing IE.)

Pond is about 3 ft wide, 2ft deep. No filter box that I am aware of, but that's not to say that there is not one hidden in the undergrowth that I have yet to find.

No fish as yet, but a couple of gold fish may follow.

02d22956.jpg

5083250f.jpg

In terms of water quality etc. I have a steeper learning curve elsewhere...

e159e632.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom