Poor Starting E350 Cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza0210

Car
2009 E350 Coupe CDI Sport
Morning Everyone.

My 2009 E350 Cdi Coupe really struggles in these cold mornings to start. I have to turn the key and wait for the pre-heat light to go out 6 or 7 times before the engine turns over properly......then it feels lumpy until its warmed up.

There is no warning light on the dash at all, just really struggles to start.

Has anyone had this happen to them?? I don't want to start changing Glowplugs unnecessarily and its then the control module and vice versa. Does anyone know of a way in which to test the control module or the plugs to see what is causing the issue??

Thanks in advance people :)

Get it connected to Star

Yes I believe so
Yes it should show codes for anything that had caused the the warning lights

Well if you have a big battery in the boot,I would get somebody to test it,costs practically nothing and might solve the problem,but it is best to get a star on it,that can trace the whole starting procedure.

It will still show faults even if no warning lights. I would be surprised if all or most of your glowplugs are faulty , my guess would be glow plug controller but am not an expert! Just had problems with both previous V6 engines which needed glowplugs and controllers replacing, but never took more than a couple attempts to get started even when they were defective, so am sure other more expert forum members will comment

mind had no warning light and did have a bit of trouble starting esp when it was cold. Star diagnosed that i had no output from my glow plug relay module (a very common item ) £160 later and 10mins to change problem gone

^ what he said. Very common issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My E350 has recently had a glow plug relay. Light on dash was intermittent, so you may find it has "not failed enough" yet.

New unit, and perfect starts, even when the oil is -2 or lower :)

My light would go out as normal but the car took a minute of cranking to start from cold. New relay sorted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom