Preffered engine oil check.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With transmission and grammar put into touch, (hopefully)🤪

With cars like the E55k which had the digital engine oil check. It also had the engine oil tube for the technician to check the level of the engine oil. I bought the workshop tool to check my oil manually also.

I'm curious do other MB engines have the engine oil tube that have the digital method.

I have never checked our s211 to see if it has :rolleyes:

What a lot of fuss about oil level checks. As long as the level is anywhere at all between min and max then it's fine and there is not the slightest need for knowing the exact level or knowing exactly how much to add - unless that is you have a oil burner. I check mine once between changes if it's lucky and even if I didn't the low oil level warning is a backstop.

I would much rather MB spend the money they invest in electronic oil level measurement on something more useful like for example an oil pressure gauge which once you get to know it, doubles as an oil temperature gauge. both are more important parameters of oil than the exact level.

Hell of a lot of fuss, would rather my engine oil be at nearer the max than the minimum.

I could have checked my oil in the time it took you to right your post!!!!;)

I think it's a major check one should do more regularly to be totally honest. Who's to say the low level warning will show.

How a car is driven what litre engine it is, many factors to how much oil a certain engine will use to the next man's.

Last edited:
Hell of a lot of fuss, would rather my engine oil be at nearer the max than the minimum.

I could have checked my oil in the time it took you to right your post!!!!;)

I think it's a major check one should do more regularly to be totally honest. Who's to say the low level warning will show.

How a car is driven what litre engine it is, many factors to how much oil a certain engine will use to the next man's.

Less than 5 mins once a week, thats all it takes.......lift bonnet, remove dipstick and clean it, insert back into the dip tube, leave for a few seconds, then remove and check the level. If it's within say 1/8" of the max, that's fine. If its 1/8" ( or more ) over the max, you need to remove some. If on the next check ( in my case one week later) and the oil level is still high, even after removing some after the previous dip, then you have a problem that needs to be investigated.
On the other hand, if the dip shows the level to be 1/8" above the MIN mark, top it up to within 1/8" under the MAX line. On the next check, one week later, you find that the level is again on the low side, then that will need to be investigated too. The oil is going somewhere, and that needs investigation. For all of you who have cars where the electronics do the checking, there are plenty of posts on the forum about sensor failure..and not necessarily just oil level, but lots of other location's too. Sensors can and do fail, just like any other electronic components in the car. So while I can, I'll stick with the old tried and true method that I've always used, 1st thing in the morning, before starting the engine, and that way every dip is done under the same circumstances.

Think most of us then do agree,
Do check it cold, and you will see,
If oil sits nice, on your dipstick,
Conclude your level, is in good nick.
checking-the-oil-level-on-the-dipstick-in-a-car-engine-compartment-D77H2E.jpg

there are plenty of posts on the forum about sensor failure..and not necessarily just oil level said:
My fears exactly with the BMW I had . That's why I'm glad I have a dipstick with my c200

It is very interesting the conflict between manual and electronic, and min and max marks.
You are supposed to top up to the max, so if the engine burns/uses some it will still be within the parameters of the manufacturer.
I am old school ex-mechanic and prefer to see the oil on a dipstick.

I find on the m156 I get the same reading on the dipstick if I have had the engine up to temp then check 5/10 minutes after shutdown. Checking my m156 oil on a cold engine doesn't seem to work for me.

Just to answer my own question. Our e320 CDI does have the engine oil tube. Capped off with the red cap. This car has the digital oil check method, so I can use my workshop tool to look at the oil level and condition if must via the tube also.

My Rolls has a dash monitoring system and a dipstick. The handbook states that the dash reading is only a guide, if the reading is near the lower end of the scale, an accurate check of the level should be made using the dipstick.

It goes on to say that when checking the oil level using the dipstick, it is recommended it is done when the engine is cold and hasn't been run. If it has been run, sufficient time should be allowed to let the oil drain to the sump, otherwise an inaccurate reading will be obtained.

Therefore, whilst we still have the opportunity to check using a dipstick that will remain my preferred option, even if onboard systems allow for a quick 'check'.

Of course, in time people will only worry about it if the App on their phone highlights a problem and then they'll probably need to read the 'onboard handbook' to remind them, or find out, how to open the bonnet. Unless, that is, EV progress means that not much time/effort/money will now be expended on petrol/diesel engines, so there won't be much change.

Of course, in time people will only worry about it if the App on their phone highlights a problem and then they'll probably need to read the 'onboard handbook' to remind them, or find out, how to open the bonnet.

Ouch 😣

It is very interesting the conflict between manual and electronic, and min and max marks.
You are supposed to top up to the max, so if the engine burns/uses some it will still be within the parameters of the manufacturer.
I am old school ex-mechanic and prefer to see the oil on a dipstick.
Same here Jockcl500....and never known it fail :banana:

My Rolls has a dash monitoring system and a dipstick. The handbook states that the dash reading is only a guide, if the reading is near the lower end of the scale, an accurate check of the level should be made using the dipstick.

Simple common sense. well done Rolls-Royce

Checked mine tonight on a cold engine got the same reading every time I pulled the stick. Apart from the first pull. Wiped it clean reinserted the dip. Left it in 4 seconds and pulled it. The level was just below the max marker. 3 times on the trot. Odd, as when I checked it this way months back. I couldn't get an accurate reading on the stick!!:dk::doh:

Just curious to what owners prefer. The manual check using the dipstick, or the digital check via the instrument cluster.

Having had the E55k I had the digital check option. As well as the manual workshop dipstick tool. That I also used to use.

Now I only have the manual oil level check option with the dipstick on my E63 6.2

The S211 e320 CDI has the digital option on our car. The digital check is much more straight forward and if sensors are all working correctly is perfect, but there is always that fear they could fail at some point.

I personally like the both options, but the digital check is a lot easier it has to be said.

It's also strange that the cars with a manual check dipstick option can't be checked via the instrument cluster as a back up method if you like.

Just curious as to what most owners prefer.

I've only ever had the dipstick .

Also calculating fuel consumption using brim to brim method .

I've only ever had the dipstick .

Also calculating fuel consumption using brim to brim method .
Same here, Pontoneer... first thing in the morning for checking the oil. Ditto for fuel consumption. And never had a problem with either. If it was filled correctly after an oil change, then at the max mark on the dipstick it will have 6.5 litres. So if it's dipped cold in the morning, that will give a true reading. You have to remember that after an oil change, the new oil is ambient temperature, and thats the temp that its dipped at after refiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom