Preffered engine oil check.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I didn't realize that it was such an important factor to own a car with a manual dipstick :D

As said in a previous post, if I check my vehicle a petrol 6.2 on a cold engine I don't get an accurate reading. The reading is different every time the dip is pulled.

But on a fully run to temp engine, and wait the 5/10 minutes. I get an accurate reading every time, every single time I reinsert the stick and pull it out, I can get an accurate reading. It works for me this way, but like has been stated on here there is argument a car should have both options available. I think that would be the best solution.

Without getting into arguments regarding the correct time to check, going back to the method used I much prefer a dipstick though it does seem to be a vanishing option nowadays.

The reason for this is not just to check the amount but it's a lot easier to see the quality which can tell an awful amount about the health of the motor. Clean, fresh looking/smelling oil = good. Dirty, black and sooty = less so.

That was how we were brought up to check the oil on stuff, the same applies to transmissions, at least to me...

Regarding the quality of the engine oil, if you change according to the manufacturers recommendations ( or like quite a lot, at even shorter intervals) then once the dipstick shows the correct level, you will be fine regarding quality, especially with diesels, as diesel oil goes black very quickly even after frequent changes, its the nature of the beast. Petrols are a different thing, seriously black petrol engine oil could be a sign that a change is long overdue, and if I was inspecting a petrol engined car with a view to buying it and the dipstick showed black treacly oil, I'd walk away. You are right about the transmission fluid color and smell,,as a French friend was telling me," the Fish is very honest,,a sniff will tell you all you need to know about it about its freshness" ATF, with little or not much trace of it's original color, is long overdue..and a burnt smell will definitely confirm it. Pity that the process in the 722.9 boxes is so complicated though.. up on a lift ( or lying down on the ground,,:wallbash: remove the protective trays pump some oil in, and then let the excess drain back out,,,@45c. A ensor in the box would go a long way to make live a bit easier !!! 722.6 not so bad, get it up to 80c, on level ground and dip it ( of course, you will have to invest in a dipstick and some lock tab's )

Now on our e320 CDI it's a different story.

But I find it's just as handy with the digital method. I also like the fact you have two ways of checking the oil level on the s/w211 e320 CDI. Both via the cluster.

Leaving Diesel engine oil checks to one side, What about rad top ups?
Water is unusual in that it expands on heating, also on freezing, in fact adding 10% by volume frozen. So, when peering into expansion/filler tank on engine should it be just just below the lid/cap or roughly an inch down when cold? And how much antifreeze or not?
With Winter fast approaching what to do? Just a wondering.

Regarding the quality of the engine oil, if you change according to the manufacturers recommendations ( or like quite a lot, at even shorter intervals) then once the dipstick shows the correct level, you will be fine regarding quality, especially with diesels, as diesel oil goes black very quickly even after frequent changes, its the nature of the beast. Petrols are a different thing, seriously black petrol engine oil could be a sign that a change is long overdue, and if I was inspecting a petrol engined car with a view to buying it and the dipstick showed black treacly oil, I'd walk away. You are right about the transmission fluid color and smell,,as a French friend was telling me," the Fish is very honest,,a sniff will tell you all you need to know about it about its freshness" ATF, with little or not much trace of it's original color, is long overdue..and a burnt smell will definitely confirm it. Pity that the process in the 722.9 boxes is so complicated though.. up on a lift ( or lying down on the ground,,:wallbash: remove the protective trays pump some oil in, and then let the excess drain back out,,,@45c. A ensor in the box would go a long way to make live a bit easier !!! 722.6 not so bad, get it up to 80c, on level ground and dip it ( of course, you will have to invest in a dipstick and some lock tab's )

looking forward to changing my transmission oil soon, when I do I will make a YouTube video as I will do it on my drive.

Leaving Diesel engine oil checks to one side, What about rad top ups?
Water is unusual in that it expands on heating, also on freezing, in fact adding 10% by volume frozen. So, when peering into expansion/filler tank on engine should it be just just below the lid/cap or roughly an inch down when cold? And how much antifreeze or not?
With Winter fast approaching what to do? Just a wondering.

Would it be ok to still discuss petrol engined cars 🤣🤣

I believed the max level on the expansion tank was the level for a cold engine. Similar to how engine oil expansion is measured.

Has always worked for me.

looking forward to changing my transmission oil soon, when I do I will make a YouTube video as I will do it on my drive.
I've heard it can be difficult, looking forward to your video, how many miles on your engine? Do you have the 9 g box? Think mine doesn't need change until 137,000mls.?
Good luck.

I wouldn't leave an automatic gearbox oil change to 137K miles. That sounds awfully close to 'sealed for life', and as we all know, when it comes to automatic gearboxes, sealed for life = shorter life...

I'm looking forward to it too, geoffus,,,I have already changed the ATF on the previous car, a 2010 E class W212 200 CDI, and did it on the driveway too. It had the 722.6 Trans, whereas the new Merc has the 722.9 transmission, so is a slightly different job. From watching video's on changing the 722.9 fluid, Parts pf the job look simpler, and parts a bit more difficult,,,checking the levels after doing the change, being one....but having a drain plug on the TC of the 722.9 is a bonus.. Anyway, in the next few weeks, I will change it, as I cannot get confirmation on when it was last changed,,,,,its a bit surprising really, as it has full MB service history, with the first change recorded, but not the 2nd,,, If I could dip it as in the 722.6 trans, and see what the condition of the oil is like, I'd be a bit happier, but if I'm going to have to go to all the trouble of removing the under trays, and hook up a pipe and pump to the sump just to check,, I may as well go the full hog, and do a complete oil and filter change, and be finished with it.

I didn't realize that it was such an important factor to own a car with a manual dipstick :D

As said in a previous post, if I check my vehicle a petrol 6.2 on a cold engine I don't get an accurate reading. The reading is different every time the dip is pulled.

But on a fully run to temp engine, and wait the 5/10 minutes. I get an accurate reading every time, every single time I reinsert the stick and pull it out, I can get an accurate reading. It works for me this way, but like has been stated on here there is argument a car should have both options available. I think that would be the best solution.

How do you know which is accurate and which is inaccurate 🤔
Or did you mean consistent and inconsistent?

I've heard it can be difficult, looking forward to your video, how many miles on your engine? Do you have the 9 g box? Think mine doesn't need change until 137,000mls.?
Good luck.
[/QUO
Oops! Should have said 77,500mls, for 9g box hydraulic oil change. :dk:

After my BMW which only had electronic check and had a history of dodgy sensors , I would always go for a dipstick
See for real ☺️

Can you add anything to the thread other than sarcasm?

Can you add anything to the thread other than sarcasm?

It was a serious question,

But if you can't construct a sentence with correct grammar, and mis-present assumption as fact, don't be surprised if you are called out.

It was a serious question,

But if you can't construct a sentence with correct grammar, and mis-present assumption as fact, don't be surprised if you are called out.

Why dont you f.u. off with your grammar and stick it up where the sun don't shine how about that!!!!

Why dont you f.u. off with your grammar and stick it up where the sun don't shine how about that!!!!

oooh - a swear word response. Aren't you a clever boy...mummy must be so proud of you using those big words... 😂

You know the dipstick is accurate. Dipsticks don't go out of calibration. TBF, Mercedes electronic oil level sensors don't seem to do so either, but I'd still rather have a dipstick.

True - but not quite the point I was seeking clarification on, which was a dipstick gives different results at different times, depending on whether the engine is cold or hot.

Logically I would expect a more consistent reading from a cold engine as oil will still be returning to the sump in a hot engine (that has been switched off). A consistent reading isn’t necessarily an accurate reading as different engines have different protocols, making it difficult to generalise.

I'm looking forward to it too, geoffus,,,I have already changed the ATF on the previous car, a 2010 E class W212 200 CDI, and did it on the driveway too. It had the 722.6 Trans, whereas the new Merc has the 722.9 transmission, so is a slightly different job. From watching video's on changing the 722.9 fluid, Parts pf the job look simpler, and parts a bit more difficult,,,checking the levels after doing the change, being one....but having a drain plug on the TC of the 722.9 is a bonus.. Anyway, in the next few weeks, I will change it, as I cannot get confirmation on when it was last changed,,,,,its a bit surprising really, as it has full MB service history, with the first change recorded, but not the 2nd,,, If I could dip it as in the 722.6 trans, and see what the condition of the oil is like, I'd be a bit happier, but if I'm going to have to go to all the trouble of removing the under trays, and hook up a pipe and pump to the sump just to check,, I may as well go the full hog, and do a complete oil and filter change, and be finished with it.
I have studied the videos and although awkward without a ramp it shouldn't be too difficult. Mine has the 722.9 transmission, and although it has mercedes service history, there is no mention of changing the oil. The car has done 44,000 miles and I believe its probably overdue so lets have a go, there are plenty of kits on Ebay, some from Mercedes dealers, how hard can it be ?

This thread has become a grammar lesson and and transmission debate.

Some odd personal on this forum. Myself not included ofcourse.

I'm glad your mummy pointed you in the right direction green man's slk, who's a good little mummies boy 👶

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom