• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

PS2 stopping playing dvds

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
Me laddo's PS2 has started to stop playing dvds. It will play the odd one or two, but won't play some that it used to quite happily. Bought Eragon today and it doesn't want to know. Plays all its games OK. Any thoughts? It's the orig PS2 not the slimline model.

Very likely the laser is on the way out, or a control chip - one experiment you can try is playing with the unit placed a different way up.

Probably not worth repairing - new PS2s are around £90 (Black or Silver)

Mike

Thats a good idea to buy a new PS3 where did he bodge his screwdriver!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Thats a good idea to buy a new PS3 where did he bodge his screwdriver!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Oy!! he's only just got a Wii!!:crazy: :crazy:

You can try a straightforward lens cleaner if you have one around (or you can pick one up for a fiver and clean all your players(!)) I'd agree with MikeL though, it doesn't bode well for the PS2 and given the residuals it's probably a write-off.

Last edited:
Could it be Sony have done this to themselves??

Just a thought though, this could be because of ARccOS.

This is Sony's new 'tougher' copy protection system currently used on any new Macrovision DVD disk titles released under any of the Sony distribution labels and soon to be adopted by other labels.

It's designed to fool PC's into believing the disk is bad (by putting the electronic equivalent of a scratch across it) so they won't copy it.

It is causing problems with low-end players though as they don't have the ability to compensate for the fake error messages.

Some schadenfreude here I'm afraid - if it is because of ARccOS that is one hell of a shot in the foot for Sony if their own PS2 drive can't cope!

See if older (pre 2006) disks play but not more recent titles (I think one of the earliest to use ARccOS was Pirates of the Caribbean II)

Update - we now have a fully working PS2. I found our lens cleaner disc just now and we ran it through - result - all his discs are now working:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Happy bunnies:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom