R129 4/5yr old news front wings. Rust spots appearing already

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not specifically no. My feedback is more generic, I've never seen a decent fibre glass replacement panel
My bad - as you had quoted Penrhyns question which related specifically to the link I had posted I assumed you had some experience with that particular company...
Rather than just pouring cold water on something based on anecdotal 'evidence' I've asked the seller if he has photos of fitted item. Response I had was:

Hi. No fitted pics as yet but will put them up ASAP. As you can imagine it’s quite a project due to their shape. Merc make them in two parts we are making them in one. Have fitted mk1 to one of mine but not quite right. We are currently making mk2. They have to be right or no point doing them. Saying that. My experience of new Mercedes wings they aren't a perfect fit. Prob due to the 25 year old press. Thanks.
Baz

So as this guy is an R129 owner himself I'm optimistic that there will be a good final product. Also confirmed in a subsequent email that these are for the facelift model, so on a pre 96 would need to trim out hole for repeater (if required).

I can also confirm that my 95 has had replacement steel wings in the past and the fit is far from perfect - especially given the cost the previous owner was invoiced for the work!

My bad - as you had quoted Penrhyns question which related specifically to the link I had posted I assumed you had some experience with that particular company...
Rather than just pouring cold water on something based on anecdotal 'evidence' I've asked the seller if he has photos of fitted item. Response I had was:

Hi. No fitted pics as yet but will put them up ASAP. As you can imagine it’s quite a project due to their shape. Merc make them in two parts we are making them in one. Have fitted mk1 to one of mine but not quite right. We are currently making mk2. They have to be right or no point doing them. Saying that. My experience of new Mercedes wings they aren't a perfect fit. Prob due to the 25 year old press. Thanks.
Baz

So as this guy is an R129 owner himself I'm optimistic that there will be a good final product. Also confirmed in a subsequent email that these are for the facelift model, so on a pre 96 would need to trim out hole for repeater (if required).

I can also confirm that my 95 has had replacement steel wings in the past and the fit is far from perfect - especially given the cost the previous owner was invoiced for the work!
I hope it all goes well for you. Are you thinking of fitting these yourself or is someone else fitting them?
Whatever, keep us posted as to how this goes.

Cutting a hole for the repeater shouldn't be a problem to be fair. The likely issues will be around the gaps to adjacent panels, lamps etc
Yes, agreed that steel wings can also be a poor fit, particularly pattern panels, but generally OEM are the best of the bunch

I would be concerned about the wing inner surface finish- if the wings are made by a mat lay up process in a mold the finished inner surface ma be quite rough-while not seen and won't rust it may be prone to habour road mud/salt etc and serve as a reservoir of moisture to attack remaining metal panels- --as well as outer surface pics I would like to see the F/B wing inner finish????

Baz

At that price, almost wonder if it's worth removing the originals, fit these for use, and then refit the originals before selling, thus preserving the originals

https://wikivisually.com/wiki/Fiberglass_spray_lay-up_process
DEPENDS pOSSIBLY ON HOW the wings are made -- Corvettes used a version of spray lay up which is about the best F/B finish I have seen - that said there's still something different about the surface texture.

Just as an aside, the W639 Vito/Viano had moulded plastic (not GRP) front wings up to the 2010 facelift. I can only assume the steel ones used from that point on were cheaper ... the original ones look great and obviously can't rust. Of course many MBs (including the R129) have used plastic cladding panels on top of steel.

The seller's email raises some concerns - I have no doubt they're being fabricated in one piece because it wouldn't work in GRP otherwise, the relevant sections would rapidly become too thick. To claim that being one piece vs two made them inherently superior would be disingenuous.

There's a couple of other comments in there that have an air of finger pointing when really their product should be able to stand on its own merit.

Don't both pre and post-facelift cars have side repeaters (UK spec., anyway)??

Yes. I'm also fairly sure the panel itself is the same through all years.

Don't both pre and post-facelift cars have side repeaters (UK spec., anyway)??

Good point - most images of UK cars I've looked at, either pre 96 or later facelift do seem to have repeaters - but not all..... US and some EU models don't seem to have them as a rule. Only thing I'm really sure of is that clear lenses were used on face lift as standard - although again a lot of folk have fitted clear lenses on the original model. But pretty sure the basic panel shape is the same throughout the range. Guess its not super important really - as we are talking consideration of fibre glass replacements, it's not like concours competitions are really a consideration here... ;-)

The seller's email raises some concerns - I have no doubt they're being fabricated in one piece because it wouldn't work in GRP otherwise, the relevant sections would rapidly become too thick. To claim that being one piece vs two made them inherently superior would be disingenuous.

There's a couple of other comments in there that have an air of finger pointing when really their product should be able to stand on its own merit.

Doesn't raise any concerns with me - perhaps you read something different to me, or perhaps you have your 'glass half full' hat on.... I can't see any disingenuous claims that 'making them in one piece makes them inherently superior'... He just said that they are not easy to make in one piece, and as the first attempt wasn't perfect is doing them again. Isn't that something to be applauded??
Also not really any air of finger pointing there that I can see, just someone trying to do a good job that might be useful to others as well. Maybe instead of pouring scorn on fibreglass panels as some have done, or just exuding negativity, we just wait and see what the final finished product looks like.

Good point - most images of UK cars I've looked at, either pre 96 or later facelift do seem to have repeaters - but not all..... US and some EU models don't seem to have them as a rule. Only thing I'm really sure of is that clear lenses were used on face lift as standard - although again a lot of folk have fitted clear lenses on the original model. But pretty sure the basic panel shape is the same throughout the range. Guess its not super important really - as we are talking consideration of fibre glass replacements, it's not like concours competitions are really a consideration here... ;-)

Yes a lot of people fitted clear repeaters (and front indicator units) to pre-facelift cars to make them look younger. Similarly the '99 facelift rear light clusters (and even the oval door mirrors that went with them) were sometimes fitted to earlier cars!

He just said that they are not easy to make in one piece, and as the first attempt wasn't perfect is doing them again - information that we weren't party to, and an important clarification.

When someone makes a direct comparison with a product they're competing against (such as complaining about fit), it's usually because they're suggesting theirs is better.

Yes a lot of people fitted clear repeaters (and front indicator units) to pre-facelift cars to make them look younger. Similarly the '99 facelift rear light clusters (and even the oval door mirrors that went with them) were sometimes fitted to earlier cars!
Yup - and I have the six slat facelift front grille fitted on my pre-facelift, and I've also seen the earlier 7 slat grilles on later facelift models. With spare parts becoming ever harder to source I guess sometimes needs must...

It's more an attempt to make the vehicles appear newer - people have been doing it for many years now. Indicators, grille, bumpers and front Sacco panels are a straight swap and mostly still in reasonable supply. You are in the right direction on the sourcing though, a new replacement grille is furiously expensive (each slat is a separate part, plus the frame etc etc), so in the event of accident damage an earlier grille can be employed on a later car to save money - I've seen plenty of cases of this in the past especially when the facelift cars were sufficiently new for used grilles to be scarce.

Ironically it's become less prevalent as the cars have aged, the difference in value has narrowed and they've firmly entered classic status; the reasons for doing it have largely disappeared.

Last edited:
..... Maybe instead of pouring scorn on fibreglass panels as some have done, or just exuding negativity, we just wait and see what the final finished product looks like....
The 'scorn' and or 'negativity' is based on real world experience. The feedback is there, nobody is forcing you to accept someones opinion. If you wish to go down the fibre glass route by all means do so and report back - good luck.

surely the finished product ( fiberglass wing ) is only as good as the body shop that paints them ??

That is great advice, will order some Upol raptor and apply that.

Looks like I will have a few more days of removing the old protective coat & rust ahead of me, the grinder makes a lot of noise and need to keep my family and the neighbours sweet :) and not go at it for more than 20-30 mins per day.
Your not breaking any laws using the grinder outside
As long as it’s not before 8 am and after 9 pm. ( Scotland) other countries may differ.

surely the finished product ( fiberglass wing ) is only as good as the body shop that paints them ??
More to do with the way it’s moulded than painted I’d say,most boats are fibreglass nowadays and Gelcoat finish is usually brilliant.

i agree , these wings are gelcoat finished and look spot on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom