R129 buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a 129, a 500. I never really bonded with it. Too heavy to chuck around but the v8 made you want to drive it faster than the car felt it wanted to go ( if you get my drift ). I thought it felt very nose heavy.

This is usually down to still being on original bushes etc, which means many 129s out there are well overdue a suspension overhaul. The suspension parts take quite a battering, largely shared with 124 but having to deal with a fair chunk more weight and performance (500E excluded). A 129 on fresh suspension will pedal along willingly at a serious pace.

The other "quirk" is that you're sat almost on top of the back axle.

Last edited:
Later cars are much better. The M112 v6 engine is so much more reliable.

We do currently have one for not a lot more money than you are looking at ;)

http://mercland.com/car.html?id=3713

Seriously, without plugging ours, you are much better going for a later car. There were lots of improvements over the R129 life.

I keep looking and wishing - this one ticks many boxes for me (would like to have seen comand on the options list).
But I struggle with the mpg. I know that if you can't afford the petrol you shouldn't look at the car. That's the trouble with the derv engines in the current e-class convertibles & SLK

This is usually down to still being on original bushes etc, which means many 129s out there are well overdue a suspension overhaul. The suspension parts take quite a battering, largely shared with 124 but having to deal with a fair chunk more weight and performance (500E excluded). A 129 on fresh suspension will pedal along willingly at a serious pace.

The other "quirk" is that you're sat almost on top of the back axle.

Indeed. In that respect the closest car i have owned in 'feel' was a lancia hpe i had years ago. Turn the wheel and you almost get a hint that the rest of the car is following.

Don't get me wrong i am sure in perfect order the 129 is great and mine was a 50000 good one not a smoker. I'd just like to have tried a smaller engined one because now i have tried an e55k in my w211 i am convinced that a 500 might be the more enjoyable car.

One gets so little extra from the added power these days on normal roads, that smoothness and balance are more important (to me at least) than power above all else. Otherwise buy a sports car.

I keep looking and wishing - this one ticks many boxes for me (would like to have seen comand on the options list).

There was a (rare) factory satnav option for the R129. I just use the TomTom in ours :D

There was a (rare) factory satnav option for the R129. I just use the TomTom in ours :D

One of the SLs I went to see had something similar to this
8250d1052323950-suggestions-navigation-sl500-please-aps30.jpg

Yup that's the sort of thing. IIRC there was an older version that replaced the sunglasses box on the dashboard.

When I bought my R129 last year I was in need of a daily driver, for want of a better phrase, as it was to be my only car, I use a scooter to commute and a 1000cc bike for my speed fix. After a lot of consideration and advice from this forum, some of which I took on board and some such as going for the 500 I ignored, I bought a 2000 SL320. I went for the V6 as it's generally considered more reliable, and it is very smooth, and it has a few things such as xenon lights & memory seats that I wanted.

I did buy it on condition, it wasn't perfect as it needed new front wings and a new soft top, but the rest was sound. It had a full service history, not every receipt but a fully stamped up service book, and the MOT history checker showed one advisory in ten years, a discoloured indicator lense. This to me implied that the previous owner(owners as I'm the 5th) had kept on top of the maintenance rather than waiting for things to get shown up on an MOT.

I've had the wings replaced with new Mercedes ones and the roof is booked in for a KHM soft top to be fitted at the end of May. The car will probably stand me in more than it's worth by the time the roof is done, about £7500. It's not concours but very clean and tidy and I love it, it drives very well, still pretty well composed on spirited B road driving.

Should I have bought a 500, on aural pleasure and probably on later values perhaps, but the SL320 V6 was my choice and so far I haven't regretted that choice. :)

Im inclined to believe the SL320 is probabbly the best all round package. But its like I say, I think the early white cars look very "period", with a late 80's early 90's vibe.
I am biased, I used to drive a white 944 S2 a few years back, before white became popular again on new cars.
But its not a done deal, if a really good SL is offered to me in any engine and colour combo Id be a fool to not consider it.

Thanks for all your input so far.

Im inclined to believe the SL320 is probabbly the best all round package. But its like I say, I think the early white cars look very "period", with a late 80's early 90's vibe.
I am biased, I used to drive a white 944 S2 a few years back, before white became popular again on new cars.
But its not a done deal, if a really good SL is offered to me in any engine and colour combo Id be a fool to not consider it.

You don't fancy a 944/968 cabriolet then? :D

In which case, what's stopping you getting the Mercland car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom