R129 centre console - CD storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
My R129 still has the standard audio cassette storage in the centre console, which is just wasted space. Popped in to the local dealer this morning to see what the options were.

There's still a replacement CD storage insert available ... however the price is £156 plus VAT! :eek: :eek:

Alternatively there's a plain storage bin insert for £12.88 plus VAT, so guess what I ordered? :)

I also found out that R129 OEM mats are still available, albeit only the velour ones. So ordered a pair of those in black for £39.81 plus VAT.

As usual I couldn't fault the parts dept. (Tony Purslow Guildford) - very friendly and helpful.

I found out the exact same thing - ordered the storage bin as the cassette unit is useless. I've never seen a CD unit on eBay either for an R129 so you're a bit limited. For £160 it is illuminated however :rolleyes:

BTB 500 said:
My R129 still has the standard audio cassette storage in the centre console, which is just wasted space. Popped in to the local dealer this morning to see what the options were.

There's still a replacement CD storage insert available ... however the price is £156 plus VAT! :eek: :eek:
I have one of those laying around here, as well as the standard storage box. I dunno how much the W202 counterparts are but probably similar in price, IIRC they're very expensive.
BTB 500 said:
I also found out that R129 OEM mats are still available, albeit only the velour ones. So ordered a pair of those in black for £39.81 plus VAT.
Velour is the only oem option according to the brochure, no ribbed or rubber versions. Sounds vaguely dirty... :rolleyes:

Bill, I think you'll find that ONLY black is available.

I ordered a set from a third party for mine (cream beige) but they make them up from OEM templates.

Have you got the bin insert yet? I need to do exactly the same thing with mine.

Cheers,
Greg

Not sure about other OEM mat colours, there were several on the list but they only checked stock on black because that was what I wanted anyway! I was going to use AutoStyle otherwise.

The parts dept. reckoned they'd have the mats and console insert by tomorrow; I have a day off on Thursday so will hopefully collect then. Will keep you posted.

Fitting on the centre console looks OK, from what I can see if you remove the side-hinged lid and frame (2 screws each side) the whole console top should lift off. It might also be retained somewhere at the front though. Then I'm assuming you can just lift the cassette storage out and drop in the replacement bin. I'll take some pics. when I do it.

The cassette unit literally just pulls out and has a bulb connector. Takes 30 seconds to swap them over.

Bill, as Stats says, the cassette unit just lifts out (mine took a little persuading).

Guess the new box just slots in its place?

CD storage was out for me too, because of the price and because my head unit is MiniDisc (CD changer in boot).

Pics when it arrives please!

Thanks,
Greg

PS - have you upgraded the bulbs in your headlights? Mine (OEM I assume) are rubbish.

stats007 said:
The cassette unit literally just pulls out and has a bulb connector. Takes 30 seconds to swap them over.

After first removing the console top (with the roller-blind type covers on)? Or is this not necessary? Thanks.

BTB 500 said:
After first removing the console top (with the roller-blind type covers on)? Or is this not necessary? Thanks.
Its not necessary, Bill. Just move the roller blind to the top and pull the cassette unit out, thats all you need to do.

Greg

GregE240 said:

PS - have you upgraded the bulbs in your headlights? Mine (OEM I assume) are rubbish.

I'm going away Thursday lunchtime so definitely won't be able to fit it till I get back, but I should be able to post a pic. of the part before I go.

AFAIK my headlights are standard ... they seem OK to me?!

GregE240 said:
Its not necessary, Bill. Just move the roller blind to the top and pull the cassette unit out, thats all you need to do.

Greg

Thanks, in that case I might be able to fit it on Thursday!

GregE240 said:

Dealer called yesterday to they they had the part, but I'm still waiting to get my Sharan back from service/MOT before leaving for Birmingham at 2PM. So no pics till Sunday night at the earliest - sorry!

BTB 500 said:

As usual I couldn't fault the parts dept. (Tony Purslow Guildford) - very friendly and helpful.

Hi BTB

Any chance of letting me have the part # for those oem mats
Need to order a set myself but i get all my bits via our commercial MB parts suppliers and they are not good at tracking down #'s
Thanks

Just got home from 4 days in Birmingham, so no pics yet - sorry!

Part number for the velour OEM mats (black) is MQ38512905, £39.18 plus VAT.

Pics., not had time to fit it yet.

Attachments

• bin1.jpg
    bin1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 60
  • bin2.jpg
    bin2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 53
R129 Centre Consol Replacement Part #

Gents,

Would it be possible to get the part number for the replacement bin? Also, I am in the US, is it available for order via the internet or should I consult my local MB dealer?

Cheers!

New SL500 Owner

Welcome to the forum. Your dealer should be able to supply this. See this thread for full details:

Cassette Storage Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom