R230 SL central locking issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flowrider

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL500 (R230) / Audi S5
This lockdown is killing my SL! I have another issue today, the central locking has stopped working. The red LED flashes on the keys but the doors and boot don't unlock. I can access the car manually with the key and open the boot with the door switch, the locks all operate from the internal locking/unlocking buttons, the soft close boot works as does the seat lumbar support so I think the PSE pump is ok. My iCarsoft has no errors against the PSE either. I have checked all the fuses behind the drivers seat.

Any ideas where else to look?

Thanks for any assistance.

There are 4 more fuses in the engine compartment for central locking (see Chart), also have you scanned all 3 SAM modules for DTC's.R230.jpg

Is there not several vacuum pipes leading from the PSE pump so the locking / unlocking pipe could be compromised which would explain the soft close and seat lumber support working.

Is there not several vacuum pipes leading from the PSE pump so the locking / unlocking pipe could be compromised which would explain the soft close and seat lumber support working.
The car locks from the button on the dash so vacuum isn't the issue.

There are 4 more fuses in the engine compartment for central locking (see Chart), also have you scanned all 3 SAM modules for DTC's.View attachment 97630
Thanks for this, I have checked all the fuses and all are good. The Sam's have not errors.

I’m guessing you’ve tried both keys, new batteries in the fobs etc?

Batteries on the car fully charged/known good etc?

I’m guessing you’ve tried both keys, new batteries in the fobs etc?

Batteries on the car fully charged/known good etc?
Yes, all checked and ok. It's a mystery as nothing seems to be faulty. I will have to get it on STAR.

I wonder if your battery voltage dropped at some point if you’ve not been using it and has caused a stored fault code to appear?

As you say, best to get it on STAR first.

When you try to lock the car using the remote do the hazards flash thus indicating that the alarm is receiving a signal.

If it worked previously it sounds like low voltage issues. Starting with the rear consumer battery is this holding charge as you know the SL is power hungry, I have found using a genuine Mercedes battery is only £190 and makes all the difference compared to the so called OEM you get from Halfords. I too have been at home over COVID and have not used my SL for 4 weeks and it starts and works fine, in fact I have installed a small volt meter in the ashtray to check the charging voltage and stationary battery voltage.

Have you tried driving the car for at least 15 mins, take note of the dashboard to see if the 'Convenience Function' shows at first, then it should go off after 10-15mins, this tell you that your rear battery was very low in power so your heat/cooling seats etc will not work. Then once you have driven it for a while, try locking and unlocking the car . You may need to pull the rear fuse behind the drivers seat, the yellow 20A to reset the PSE pump too.

Have you checked that you have fresh batteries in your fob, the light may flash red, but they need good quality brand batteries.

This lockdown is killing my SL! I have another issue today, the central locking has stopped working. The red LED flashes on the keys but the doors and boot don't unlock. I can access the car manually with the key and open the boot with the door switch, the locks all operate from the internal locking/unlocking buttons, the soft close boot works as does the seat lumbar support so I think the PSE pump is ok. My iCarsoft has no errors against the PSE either. I have checked all the fuses behind the drivers seat.

Any ideas where else to look?

Thanks for any assistance.

Hi ... any update on the issue ? did you manage to solve it ? I have similar issue on mine, but the remote works on IR (like literally touching the sensors) just not on the RF.....

Hi ... any update on the issue ? did you manage to solve it ? I have similar issue on mine, but the remote works on IR (like literally touching the sensors) just not on the RF.....
Sorry to Gallon and A1EK above, I didn't see your posts until today for some reason.

An update........

Took the car to my indy who identified that the central locking antennae/module is faulty, this is the antennae that is mounted behind the dash just under the windscreen on the drivers side of the SL. We have ordered the part but it has been on back order for 4 weeks however my indy tells me the part is now in so all I need to do is arrange the install.

o good stuff ... all the best ... on ebay there are two listings ....

part number A2308201189

and Part number A2308200989

so would be good to see which part number was yours... (I believe your model is newer and SL500 )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom