• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Rear coil springs

Neils65

Car
C220 AMG sport
I have a 2012 c220 coupe AMG sport and I am looking at changing the rear coil springs as one is broken. Can anyone advise on size and type?
When I look online it asks if it has lowered suspension or chassis, as far as I’m aware, it’s absolutely stock so do I just go for the one ‘without lowered suspension or chassis?
Any help would be appreciated.

Dealer would be my go to place as MB springs are specific to your vehicle and only your vehicle , there are colour coded bands on the springs that denote the rate / height for your car as they take into account all the options fitted to your specific vehicle at the time of build.

There have been a few on here that have fitted springs from various third party suppliers and the ride height and ride quality have been compromised.

They maybe a bit more expensive that ones from EPC / Autodoc / eBay etc but you will get the correct ones which are fit and forget.

K

Kenny is 100% spot on . Take it from an owner of a (fairly) rare C55 AMG finding the correct springs for your MB is a bloody minefield . Your first (and best bet) is actually finding colour codes and/or a part number on the actual springs fitted to your car. That in itself is not always 100% accurate as a previous owner might have got that wrong.

VIN number to someone like MB of Newcastle on Ebay might be the best bet if you have no other way of properly identifying the springs you have fitted. It might cost more , but ....

PS Re cap of my story for my front springs that I have posted on here previously.

Manged to see a bit of the P/N , the words 'AMG' and 'Eibach' left on my corroded front springs . Took this information to MB in Modesto California (I was working over there at the time) , Eibach UK and eventually Eibach Germany . Eibach Germany would not sell me the springs and I ended up getting them (eventually) from ? ..............

Mercedes Benz Newcastle at about £90 each spring :doh:

Good luck

Thanks Petrol Pete, I have had parts from MB Newcastle before and they are fair so I will definitely give them a go.
Much appreciated. Neil

Glad you are taking that approach . Forgive me if you already know all this but springs can be very deceptive to measure .

For example(s) a rear coil spring (in your hand) the exact diameter and length that looks identical to the one on you car might be 100% wrong because it has a wire diameter 2mm smaller/greater and half a coil more (or less) that might not be spotted by the naked eye .. I learned this from (admittedly DIY) tuning of motorcycle suspension where a slight change can make a big difference , probably less so in the cars we all drive on the road , but it's worth spending a bit of time and effort to get it right.

let us know how you get on. 👍

I will do Pete, I know exactly what you mean being a biker in a younger life…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom