Rear High Intensity Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulPJ

Car
C220 CDi
Hi Chaps, was checking all the lights last weekend and noticed that I only had 1 high intensity rear. Does my W204 only have the one or has a bulb blown? Many thanks Paul

Mercedes only fit one, if the bulb had blown you would (should!) have a dashboard warning. :)

High intensity rear? Do you mean the fog light?

Yeah, there's only a fog light on one side, the right side.

If a bulb was blown, you'd get an error on the dash. If you open up the rear left cluster, you'll see a space for another bulb, but it won't work, that's for LHD cars who have the fog on the left not the right.

Thanks for your help guys. I didn't know if the car would issue a warning or not as my previous car did not warn you if they blew.

High intensity rear? Do you mean the fog light?

Yeah, there's only a fog light on one side, the right side.

If a bulb was blown, you'd get an error on the dash. If you open up the rear left cluster, you'll see a space for another bulb, but it won't work, that's for LHD cars who have the fog on the left not the right.

High intensity is the correct term "Fog light" is not, the high intensity light or lights are to be used when visibility is significantly reduced be it by fog, rain, snow etc

Thanks for your help guys. I didn't know if the car would issue a warning or not as my previous car did not warn you if they blew.

The MB is well designed, on my car (W203) if a bulb fails it will, where able, use another light in it's place, e.g, a blown rear turn indicator will be replaced by a flashing reversing light, if my front indicator fails it will flash the front high intensity light to compensate and give a signal.

It's the same on the 204.

If a front indicator fails, it gently pulses the fog high intensity light on that side to act as an indicator. It only does it gently, so the bulb glows an orange.

High intensity is the correct term "Fog light" is not, the high intensity light or lights are to be used when visibility is significantly reduced be it by fog, rain, snow etc

Significantly reduced is the important bit. Drivers who put then on when normal rear lights are still clearly visible are a PITA. When they are really needed they are invaluable but many times they are a nuisance and diminish the contrast with brake lights. Some drivers are simply not up to making the judgement.

190 said:
Significantly reduced is the important bit. Drivers who put then on when normal rear lights are still clearly visible are a PITA. When they are really needed they are invaluable but many times they are a nuisance and diminish the contrast with brake lights. Some drivers are simply not up to making the judgement.

The people who put rear fogs on when it's raining heavily are more of a PITFA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom