Red CLS63 Shooting Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does it feel any heavier/different than the coupe?
I was wrong yesterday; yes it does. As became apparent today on the rotten non-motorway roads this country now has, the ride is noticeably firmer than that of the 350 SB, which has Airmatic, and the Pirellis on it are quite noisy. They're also quite new, so it will be a few thousand miles before I replace them with Goodyears, which I have on the 350, and which are very noticeably quieter.

I was wrong yesterday; yes it does. As became apparent today on the rotten non-motorway roads this country now has, the ride is noticeably firmer than that of the 350 SB, which has Airmatic, and the Pirellis on it are quite noisy. They're also quite new, so it will be a few thousand miles before I replace them with Goodyears, which I have on the 350, and which are very noticeably quieter.
Well done on your buy! I saw this a day before I was heading down to Portsmouth but somehow resisted the temptation. Maybe I shouldn’t have! Red definitely suits the Brakes. You could swap the Pirelli’s with your Goodyears from the 350 to see if it is the tyres - they should be the same size/rating if you have 19’s on the SB😊. Is the ride still very acceptable? Light coloured interiors also go well with Red Brakes btw - not sure how big a job that would be though… Most importantly - how is the soundtrack?

It is the tyres; the Pirellis are noisier than the Goodyears on the same tarmac. The ride's OK; acceptable rather than very acceptable. It's not harsh, but the 350, unsurprisingly, rides better.

White leather in a red car would not be to my taste; beige would be OK, as would I think pale grey.

It sounds fine, but not too loud on cold startup. It's never as quiet as the 350, but I had an E63 with the same engine, so (as with the ride) I knew what to expect; I can live with it.

Whereas I'm under the impression that the W211 and W212 had airmatic on the AMG derivatives, is this not the case with the CLS, or was it optioned out by the original owner for a more sporty character?

My S211 E55 did, my E63 S212 did not, and this one hasn't either. There are only two on eBay at the moment, and neither of those ads mention Airmatic, but whether that's just sloppy dealer ads I don't know.

Would appreciate some pics when you have time Dennis. Interior too. 🙏🥳👏

Congrats on your purchase, lovely car.

So it's on springs front and rear? Did your 212 have after market springs at the rear then?

PS agree with your pimpmobile comment, but then I like boring/ funeral black 😉

my E63 S212 did not, and this one hasn't either.
AFAIK, the W218 and the E/S212 AMG 63 cars all have air suspension at the rear and steel springs on the front. Are you sure you don’t have air suspension at the rear of this one?

The 212 had self-levelling rear suspension like all the 212 estates, but not full Airmatic. Whether the Shooting Brakes are the same I don't know, though it would make sense if they were.

will be going to Terry Gates soon to have the intercooler circuit pump changed, though; an intermittent problem with that was what did for my E63 with the same engine.
What pump will you use? Is it an upgrade performance wise?

Slightly paranoid about this, so will be my next job I think!

Don't know what pump I'll use yet. I'll see what's available. I've not seen any posts about the problem I had, and the e63 had 90K on it, while this has less than 50K, but better safe than sorry.

The first sign was a misfire at high revs on full throttle. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have put a new pump on straight away.

They are pretty much similar underneath - all the S212 and X218‘s have rear air suspension to manage the self-levelling. On the AMG the brochure says “AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension with adjustable damping and rear air suspension with self levelling”.

Re your confirmation re the Goodyear’s - I need to try something other than Pirelli’s on mine then as on s9me surfaces they are louder than I would expect - the only problem being they do last spectacularly well...

Hyacinth is a great colour - I was a bit nervous as to how I would get along with it but it’s spectacular when you see the car every time after cleaning it. I have a crystal grey interior (which doesnt appear grey at all but takes the edge off it being too bright and it works fine together - although my previous ‘Brake was Tenorite Grey with black inside and I was happy with that too. Whatever the colour inside it’s a pretty fine place to spend time. The Hyacinth gets a lot more attention - not sure thats a good thing but reassuring in some way😊.

One thing‘s for sure - yours is not something you’re likely to see another of on a regular basis. From recollection I’ve only ever seen one 63 - a facelift - in Hyacinth for sale in the past couple of years apart from yours. Hope it continues to delight.

The 212 had self-levelling rear suspension like all the 212 estates, but not full Airmatic. Whether the Shooting Brakes are the same I don't know, though it would make sense if they were

It does indeed have airsprings on the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom