Replacing 19” rims with 17”

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndrewOl

Car
E350 A207
My 2010 A207 came with copy AMG 19 wheels that are not holding up that well due to poor finish and a magnetic attraction to kerbs. I don’t really want to commit to a refurb as that will only cure one of the issues and I’m not convinced on the quality of the wheel on the first place. Not wanting to spend too much money I found a set of MB 10 spokes in good condition from a W212. At 8J and ET48 they should be close enough to the original 18’s that came with the car and are certainly a better fit than the 19’s that are on it now. They have been used for winter wheels and are fitted with Pirelli sottozero tyres. Question is do I just run these down (they all have 5mm) or swap them out now for some summer rubber? Can’t see me swapping tyres back and forth. If I was that worried I would fit all season tyres and be done with it.

Cheers
Andy

Are the tyres winter tyres? If so, I would save the winter tyres for the winter and get a set of summer as if not you would be doing a disservice for both :)

You'll get good grip with the Sottozeros, but they will wear faster than summer tyres. Might as well just use them up, then replace them.

Will the 17" clear the front calipers?

17 inches wheels will clear 350mm and on the A207, the 350 came with 322mm standard, so we should be fine!

Thanks for the replies. 17s are listed on the build sheet but at 7.5J ET 45. So the 8J ET48 should clear ok. It had 245’s on it when I bought it and although tight to the strut that was on a 8.5J ET45 19” rim so it will be close with 245/45/17. I can always come down to 235 if the tyre fouls.

Back to basics.

You’ll get more comfort from winter tyres but they will use slightly more fuel than Summer tyres in Summer. I doubt that you’ll notice the difference.

I don’t believe that they “will wear faster.” I also doubt that you’ll notice much of a performance difference unless you’re driving in really hot conditions at very high (illegal) speeds.

Don’t know how quickly you get through tyres. (It’s all down to driver style). Unless you’re high mileage and/ or all brakes and hard acceleration it could be a year before you “need” to change tyres. So your call…

There’s no legal requirement to change tyres with the seasons in the UK. We dont have the variation and extremes to justify it.

Personally, in tranquil Hampshire, I’d just run on the existing tyres and delay the visit to Micheldever tyres until next Spring 2023. ( But I only drive at legal speeds and I struggle to wear out tyres at all.)

So picked up these little Ronal beauties last night. Seem in fantastic nick, only a couple of blisters on the inner face from road rash. Outer face look unmarked. Testament to the previous owner. Good value at £300 I think. May be the original tyres as no removed weight marks. Will fit them up on Saturday to see what the clearance and look is like. Only slight concern is the tyres are dated 3512 which kinda makes sense given the condition of the wheels. The tyres look unmarked with nice even wear. As I understand it the 10 year thing is a recommendation and really it is down to condition? Looking at them and given your helpful advice regarding running the Sotto in summer I’m minded to use them until next summer when they will probably be below 3mm which is generally when I change. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• E6D5152C-6D64-4E42-8D95-56AD1B1A7F30.jpeg
    E6D5152C-6D64-4E42-8D95-56AD1B1A7F30.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 8
Fitted the wheels and they look a good fit and the clearance is fine. Tightest spot is between the front tyre tread and the spring cup. Guess this is a design thing as the radius of the tyre hasn’t changed. They look better on the back in my opinion. The 19 9j’s were a bit Carlos Fandango for me.1653158128090.png

I would certainly get new rubber.....running on UV degraded ten year old rubber is not the best idea.........

Yup, recommended max age on tyres is around 5 years assuming they haven' been stored away from light for much of that, but on a car being used

Anyway, the compound will be very now hard, something to factor in if comfort is important.
Also tyres technology has moved on in the last 10 years, even on mid range rubber

Just to close this one out. The ride has improved quite a bit. The A207 is still pretty firm as it has the harder sports suspension. Handling wise it does feel softer probably due to the higher profile tyres. Still plenty grip for a car like this and the 17’s are a much better match for the car than the 19’s in my opinion.

19's are the cosmetic choice: they're pretty. Perfect for people who don't drive very far.

17's and 18's are the mainstream.

If I had a fiver for every time I'd heard someone wanging on, and on,
about ride quality on their car after buying big wheels and sports suspension
I'd be a very wealthy man....

(Do update us when you switch from 10 year old Winter tyres to new Summer rubber.)

19's are the cosmetic choice: they're pretty. Perfect for people who don't drive very far.

17's and 18's are the mainstream.

If I had a fiver for every time I'd heard someone wanging on, and on,
about ride quality on their car after buying big wheels and sports suspension
I'd be a very wealthy man....
Here's a bit more money for the pot, my C207 came with 19s and they are NO problem whatsoever, the ride and handling are fine, and I do use my car on a daily basis and it's lowered and still fine, as for AndrewOl his car is great but in IMO his car is now underwheeled 17s are to small. Don't forget only my opinion. 🙂

Here's a bit more money for the pot, my C207 came with 19s and they are NO problem whatsoever, the ride and handling are fine, and I do use my car on a daily basis and it's lowered and still fine, as for AndrewOl his car is great but in IMO his car is now underwheeled 17s are to small. Don't forget only my opinion. 🙂
It is absolutely all about personal taste…

(And I only want a fiver from the guys complaining about hard ride after having ordered sports suspension and large wheels.).

Is yours Sports suspension and lowered,

or normal suspension and lowered?

I agree that it does look better on the 19’s. I could have lived with the poor ride quality as the 17’s have improved the ride not transformed it. The ride is harsh mainly due to the basic design and the option of the sports suspension. The reason for the change was really down to the damage being picked up with such low profile tyres. The car is driven mostly by my wife and it was proving difficult for her to not pick up some light kerb damage. The 19’s were not OEM and had been changed by a previous owner, they are cheap AMG copies, so a pro refurb was hardly worth it. The original wheels were 18’s which are probably the best compromise for looks, practicality and ride. Not sure why they were ditched. With an unlimited budget I would go for 18’s but given the 17’s we’re a bargain at £300…..
The Pirelli sotto tyres are pretty good even though they are old winter tyres. Bit noisy but grip is good in the dry and they should be fine in the wet. I will run them down a bit and then change to summer or all season as I have all seasons on my other car and they seem to offer enhanced wet weather performance with no downside in dry summer months on a standard sort of car.

Is yours Sports suspension and lowered,

or normal suspension and lowered?
To be honest Mike, not sure if my car has the sports suspension, think it might do, as mine is a C207 265bhp 125 edition model, but as said it's fine on the H&R springs and the stance is just right. 🙂👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom