• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Replacing Audio 10 with new headset. Fibre optic an issue?

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I'm thinking of replacing my Audio 10 with a face off, single CD, USB socket headset.

It would be more convenient to have a 16GB USB pen drive containing my Mp3's than to keep changing CD's.

Can I install a head unit such as this one without the fibre optic cabling becoming an issue?

Also I've read on the forum that the original speakers in my 2002 S210 are not at all bad with a new headset installed?

Any opinions and advice greatly appreciated.

Paul.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
As long as you are removing the original cd changer that maybe fibre optically fed and you have no factory amp to contend with, then I think your car just uses standard ISO connectors for power and speakers. I assume your car is single din aswell, so no fascia adaptor needed.
I fitted a Kenwood KDC-BT8044U to our W203 recently, it really is a decent unit for the money, you get BT with separate mic, USB, handheld remote and sounds decent aswell with the crappy stock W203 speakers, paid approx £180, but probably less right now.
There was a guy with a similar car to yours that did something similar recently.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/86890-w210-aftermarket-head-unit-help.html
HTH
Jon.:thumb:

Many thanks for the advice Jon. Not as complicated as I thought then.

I am looking for a unit with a USB socket on the front so I can insert a pen drive. I may well then get a similar unit for the Sprinter and use the pen drive for both units.

Cheers,

Paul.

Subject to the advice of members I have decided to go with this unit.

From what I have read it connects well with bluetooth, has the all important USB pen-drive slot, the steering wheel controls would work, the unit colour is changeable (amber would suit the dash on my S210) and the hands-free microphone is crystal clear.

My plan is to install a sub in the space where the 6CD changer is currently located.

Has anyone used one of these units?

TIA.

Paul.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

I think that is a great unit for the money, similar to my Kenwood in Spec. with the added bonus of FRONT USB connectivity, I have the USB lead from mine going into the glovebox (W203), where the old CD changer cables were routed into the the centre console area.

If this Alpine had been out a while back I am 100% sure that I would have picked it over the Kenwood, at the time there were no Alpine units with built in Parrot Bluetooth, also the lack of a Kenwood adaptor for the Canbus to give me steering controls via the 10 way ISO is frustrating for me, I do not want to cut the 10 pin ISO to extract the Can Hi/Lo, I am pretty sure Alpine will still have a steering wheel controller for your application also.

Oh well...

Good choice anyway mate.

Jon.

Hi Paul,

I think that is a great unit for the money, similar to my Kenwood in Spec. with the added bonus of FRONT USB connectivity, I have the USB lead from mine going into the glovebox (W203), where the old CD changer cables were routed into the the centre console area.

If this Alpine had been out a while back I am 100% sure that I would have picked it over the Kenwood, at the time there were no Alpine units with built in Parrot Bluetooth, also the lack of a Kenwood adaptor for the Canbus to give me steering controls via the 10 way ISO is frustrating for me, I do not want to cut the 10 pin ISO to extract the Can Hi/Lo, I am pretty sure Alpine will still have a steering wheel controller for your application also.

Oh well...

Good choice anyway mate.

Jon.

Many thanks for the advice Jon.

I'll post back when I get the unit installed.

Cheers. :thumb:

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom