Retailer markup on tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A point found on the hukd comments log re tyres was that summer tyres might be cheaper now :dk:

I expect summer tyre manufacturing and stock levels are quite tightly managed in order to avoid over-production and high stock levels as winter approaches.

But it does raise the question of 'is there an optimum time of the year to purchase summer tyres?'.

I wonder if someone's done some price timeline graphs? Where I am on the south coast, it's usually so mild in winter that I don't bother with winter tyres, so summer ones are of interest.

In which case, there is no holding charge, no risk on their part as they take payment first - so how come they were not able to match the Germans

The public seems to assume that all retailers can just slash their prices on demand, and only the cheapest price matters.

This is why half the shops (or more) on the high st have given up, and the only people making any real money are Amazon and Ebay, who are both really just middle men and who don't pay any tax - unlike all the shops who used to be on the high st.

And this is why everything is just cheap junk from China hiding often hiding behind well known brands (who've folded thanks to all the cheap chinese junk and a buying public who object to anyone making more than 1% profit)

Race to the bottom, innit.

What are the Germans doing that we can't do!

Trying to get market share by working at a loss?

Tyres in Germany are cheaper period. They go through a helluvalot more than we do.

All those part worn tyre places get their tyres from Germany as they change them in sets with much more tread than is common in this country.

I have often wondered why Kwik Fit sell tyres for my ML for £438 a pair on-line but in store for £620 a pair. Makes no sense when the tyres are fitted at the same tyre centre.

I have often wondered why Kwik Fit sell tyres for my ML for £438 a pair on-line but in store for £620 a pair. Makes no sense when the tyres are fitted at the same tyre centre.

Usually if you buy online you have a delay of 3 days before fitting.

So that's for customers who can wait.

The other price (assuming they manage to hold it) is for those who can't or won't wait.

It makes perfect sense to them to try and pitch a higher price at those with need vs a lower price for those prepared to wait.

It's not the worst example of the online click and collect vs walk-in and buy racket.

Too many inflated egos...get a grip! Tread carefully.

Last week received delivery of two summer tyres for the good woman's Mazda from Camskill and yesterday received delivery of four winter tyres for the FIL's Audi from Germany. Delivery times were excellent on both and cost was far cheaper than I had originally imagined. No doubt about it, shopping around (still took an hour) is well worth it particularly if one's no fussy about who or where the supplier is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom