Road blocks to catch smokers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think probably the key sentence is "The culprits’ employers will also be informed and also be heavily fined".

I thought this thread was about smoking cars not people. Catching some of the idiots driving around in smoke machines would be brill, but I have to agree, what a waste of our money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roadblocks set up to catch drivers smoking - Telegraph

Good to see in these austere times that our guardians have so much time and spare resource on their hands.

I could think of many other H&S Regulations that would save more lives and injuries if properly enforced with such vigour.

I live in Tendring, typical of that council:doh: Thank God I don't drive a company vehicle:thumb: Oh I forgot I stopped smoking 3 years ago :p:D

Roadblocks set up to catch drivers smoking - Telegraph

Good to see in these austere times that our guardians have so much time and spare resource on their hands.

I could think of many other H&S Regulations that would save more lives and injuries if properly enforced with such vigour.

Lighting a cigarette and/or smoking whilst driving is just as dangerous if not more so than using a phone whilst driving. I'm all for it being banned in all cars but then again im all for it being banned altogether.:eek:

At first glance this appears to be crazy- like most Telegraph headlines. However the 2006 legislation that applies:- The law made it illegal to smoke in all vehicles used primarily for business purposes by more than one person
So the person driving the car doesn't own it and they are not the only driver - its essentially a workplace environment- possibly used both by smokers and non smokers- its a pretty enclosed environment -with recirculatory air conditioning -completely so. There is therefore the distinct possibility of a build up cigarette smoke residue on the trim of the car and in the heating/ ventilation/air-conditioning system over time. These residues are largely composed of known carcinogens albeit at very low concentrations. However if you can smell them you are ingesting them and this is best avoided. People particularly at risk would individuals suffering from asthmatic or other breathing problems and women in the early stages of pregnancy for example. As part of their job they have no choice but to enter this environment and its the duty of care of the employer to minimise risk to their employees.

Grober - I agree the legislation is there to protect employees.

However, in my career I have come across dozens of factories, etc. where the airborne contaminants are more hazardous, in far higher concentrations and a greater number of employees are exposed than the (usually) lone smoker in the cab of of his repmobile, white-van or LGV. These places haven't seen anyone from either the Council or HSE in living memory.

It's a shame this effort was not expended elsewhere.

I trust that, whilst going about this fine and worth activity, they will also be doing PNC, MOT,VED, licence and insurance checks.

Thought not. :mad:

Of course not, although that would be a far more worthy pursuit....

Lighting a cigarette and/or smoking whilst driving is just as dangerous if not more so than using a phone whilst driving. I'm all for it being banned in all cars but then again im all for it being banned altogether.:eek:

No it isn't, it's not even in the same league.

People have been smoking in cars since the first car arrived on the planet & it's been a relatively hazard free activity in all that time.

I say this as a non-smoker who regards smoking as a stupid & filthy habit.

People have been smoking in cars since the first car arrived on the planet & it's been a relatively hazard free activity in all that time.

Totally disagree. Concentrating on:

Getting pack out of coat = getting phone
Opening pack and trying to select tab = dialing
Fumbling for lighter = let's also say dialing
Concentrating on lighting the thing = chat
putting lighter away again = chat
Putting window down so that your car doesn't smell quite as much of tabs because although you smoke you can't stand the smell = chat
Throwing tab end out because you can't be bothered to use/clean ashtray = littering

I bet dropped tabs etc account for as many accidents as mobiles. People get done for eating sandwiches at the wheel nevermind playing with fire!

m.

Totally disagree. Concentrating on:

Getting pack out of coat = getting phone
Fags already in car NOT in coat pocket
Opening pack and trying to select tab = dialing
One hand and teeth gets fag into mouth
Fumbling for lighter = let's also say dialing
Lighter again in car (centre console)
Concentrating on lighting the thing = chat
Really easy to light a cigarette as the end of it can be seen whilst it is in your mouth
putting lighter away again = chat
Back into centre console
Putting window down so that your car doesn't smell quite as much of tabs because although you smoke you can't stand the smell = chat
You never wind your window down? Not difficult, push window switch
Throwing tab end out because you can't be bothered to use/clean ashtray = littering
Fair point

I bet dropped tabs etc account for as many accidents as mobiles. People get done for eating sandwiches at the wheel nevermind playing with fire!

Never dropped a tab in 20+ years of smoking and driving.

m.

I agree smoking shouldn't be allowed in company vehicles but to say it is more dangerous than being on a mobile phone is drivel. I used to drive 40k a year in a previous job never whilst smoking did I lose track of the fact I was driving. I also had a built in hand free telephone , I can say catagorically I could talk on the phone and get from one end of Essex to the other and not recall how I got there i.e. I had driven on "autopilot" brain on the conversation rather than the driving. I now turn off my phone when driving and will not use it until I stop in a safe place, normally my destination. As for texting don't even go there.

I say this all as an ex-smoker who doesn't allow smoking in my own car. Mobiles phones should be banned from being used in cars full stop not even on hand free. Just think back to the days of freedom when you could just drive to your next job listening to the radio without some numpty from work harrassing you, aaaaaaaaahhh bliss:)

I'm afraid I disagree that smoking in a car is on the same level as using a mobile phone. Most smokers, and yes, I am one, can open a pack, get a cigarette, put it in their mouth and light it without using any primary brain functions whatsoever. It is second nature and instinctive. Using a mobile phone on the other hand takes concentration and uses primary brain functions that are then taken from the task in hand - driving.

However, there is an aspect of smoking in cars that is frighteningly careless and dangerous... The dropped cigarette! There are documented cases where the result has been death and not only for the dropper. Consequently I rarely smoke in the car although I can't in honesty say I never do.

This law though is not about the merits or not of the actions of smoking in a car, it's about smoking in public places and in that respect, even as a smoker, I completely agree with it. It is a filthy habit and the effects for non smokers are foul and disgusting let alone unhealthy.

Regards,

Have to disagree. The mere fact that fire is involved in the car is on its own a reason to ban it. What about obscured vision from the smoke? Not holding the steering wheel properly? Just as dangerous as a phone.

As for smoking in a car since it arrived on the planet it wasnt that long ago that drinking and driving wasnt the crime it is now. Its a matter of time until smoking in a car is banned altogether.

Have to disagree. The mere fact that fire is involved in the car is on its own a reason to ban it. What about obscured vision from the smoke? Not holding the steering wheel properly? Just as dangerous as a phone.

As for smoking in a car since it arrived on the planet it wasnt that long ago that drinking and driving wasnt the crime it is now. Its a matter of time until smoking in a car is banned altogether.

Use the car cigarette lighter, no fire!:) What about obscured vision from looking at your mobile phone whilst trying to dial or worse text someone! I used to be able to hold the steering wheel fine whilst smoking I can't say that about holding a phone to my ear or trying to dial.;)

God anyone would think I was still smoking, why do I care??????:dk::D

never whilst smoking did I lose track of the fact I was driving.

Good response but that's simply you. I suspect thousands of people have had conversations on mobiles since they were first brought in, especially as car phones and also not had a crash.

I still think if you can see it or not lighting the end of a tab still means that is what you are concentrating on.

Also, steering wheel isn't held properly either. I just can't see how people can get done for eating a sandwich but having a tab isn't banned.

I'm actually not bothered by it though. The only aspect that does annoy me is that smokers tend to litter a lot. Too out of breath to make it to the bin I guess!

m.

EDIT - lack of flame is still hot. In fact in car lighters are potentially worse as the slot is well below the line of the dash and no-one is going to risk burning their dash. At least a lighter (unless its a zippo) will go out if you drop it. Dropped tabs are the same issue. Difficult to drive with your tackle on fire!

As for dialing... speed dial anyone? I'm also pretty sure that not everyone has their tabs placed in the centre console, people forget and will start a rummage... even if they are their, there is no way that they will do the whole process without looking at what they are up to, just human nature!

Last edited:

You would have to recognise that alcohol has a considerably larger impact on ability to drive, and for a more prolonged period (i.e. the whole journey) in comparison.

If one is to ban smoking in cars due to the distraction level of lighting a cigarette, should we then also be looking to ban adjusting the radio/sat nav as being equally distracting? Or indeed listening to music at all, as people might sing along and not be concentrating. Perhaps ban talking to your passenger - a boon for men with nagging wives :D

You would have to recognise that alcohol has a considerably larger impact on ability to drive, and for a more prolonged period (i.e. the whole journey) in comparison.

If one is to ban smoking in cars due to the distraction level of lighting a cigarette, should we then also be looking to ban adjusting the radio/sat nav as being equally distracting? Or indeed listening to music at all, as people might sing along and not be concentrating. Perhaps ban talking to your passenger - a boon for men with nagging wives :D

You forgot ban all children in cars. Put them in livestock vehicles.:D

You forgot ban all children in cars. Put them in livestock vehicles.:D

My apologies. No kids of my own so that one slipped my mind :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom