rotary buffer/polisher

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy_k

MB Enthusiast
Car
Alfa GTV 3.0
for those who live near to an Aldi store - this week they have 240mm rotary polishers in their "bargain bins"

Mains powered with a max rpm of 3000 they will make light work of polishing

Price including 2 pads = £12.99 and an additional pack of pads (3 fine 3 fluffy) costs £6

Andy

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

don't do it, all it takes is a wee bit of grit on the buffer head and you have nice deep perminant swirls all over your car. :eek:

Use a good quality cloth and elbow grease to get that perfect shine. :cool:

It must be something in the air. I have just started a thread on this. Check out:

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6997

With regard to doing nasty swirl damage if you use the right tool and follow some basic guidelines this wont be a problem. However if you use the wrong tool things could get nasty.

Check out the web links and videos in the above thread.

You've convinced me. I think I'll buy one. 20 mins to polish a whole car? It can't be done, surely!!!!

If you use the Porter Cable not the Aldi special!!

altreed said:
You've convinced me. I think I'll buy one. 20 mins to polish a whole car? It can't be done, surely!!!!

Remember you have to do the boring bit first of having to wash it and make sure the paint work is really clean. (no grit etc) Then yes it took about 20 minutes to cover the whole car once you get the hang of it. Also you are not tired out when you have done it and your hands are not cracked, because you are no where near the polish.

I must confess when I used it first I was a little nervous so it took me a bit longer. The wash, drying the vehicle with a towel and polish took me about 1.5 hours. But it normally takes me between 45minutes and 1 hour to wash the vehicle properly, I do about 500 miles a week and it gets really mucky.

I then discovered you could run the Porter Cable over the trim etc of my W211 without any problem and if any polish got in gaps it was such a thin layer you could remove it easily. Unlike hand polishing. On the textured black plastics (mud flaps etc) I was a little more careful and used autoglym bumper care to fetch out polish I accidently got on this.

The problem is you start to become a perfectionist and start going over bits a few times and then you think "this is so easy I will put a coat of Autoglym extra gloss protection on" and then "I wonder what finish I would get with another coat" So you can easily waste an afternoon if you want to.

The chap at autopia.com who is really helpful is called David. Email him on their support address if you want to purchase but their site is set up for International orders and calculates all the postage etc online. Get some extra pads as well, these dont weigh much and are cheaper than the UK.
Then study the videos on how to use it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom