rotting fuses and self destruct loom

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by coupe deville, Oct 7, 2008.

1. coupe deville

coupe deville Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
    have read a lot of posts about self destructing wiring looms and rotting fuses that look sound but aren't on the 124 models. mine is one of the first facelifts registered late 93 and the loom and fuses are ok. can anybody tell me when mercedes introduced these dodgy looms and fuses and what models they were fitted to

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Have you checked the loom in it's entireity or just the bits that you can see ;)

Its it possible it has had a new loom before you bought it ?

3. imadoofus

imadoofus Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    This and that.
    Originally, your car would have had one of the 'dodgy' looms

4. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Figures vary according to sources and MB-- the only authoritative source, are saying nothing! But any 93-95/96 car looms should be checked. W124 W202 are the ones you hear about but the bigger models are also effected especially the V8s with high under bonnet temperatures.

5. Number_Cruncher

Number_Cruncher Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1995 E300D
    When I replaced mine, (1995 E300D), I found a sticker on the new loom close to the connection block in the compartment with the brake master cylinder and duovalve - the date of manufacture of the new loom was printed on it. This might be a very quick way to see if a new engine loom has been fitted if such a sticker id fitted to the petrol engine looms.

6. imadoofus

imadoofus Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    This and that.
    My new loom doesn't have one

7. OP
    OP
    coupe deville

coupe deville Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
    Ive just checked whats visible, can't see a label or part number anywhere on it. Havent got any issues with it so it might have been done. Car has main dealer history up to 100,000 miles april 2003 when it would have been nearly 10 years old. would the local dealer Derwents in Wakefield look it up on the service records which might be still on computer or would he tell me to get my muddy boots off his nice and shiney clean floor