• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Rubbing noise when turning right under power and faint vibration

JB052

Car
W209
My car (CLK 280 automatic) has recently developed a rubbing noise when accelerating through a tight right hand bend (eg a small roundabout) it seems to originate from the centre of the car rather than the suspension and doesn't appear to occur if I'm not applying power. I'm also under the impression that there is a vibration through the cabin on most roads at all road speeds which I haven't noticed previously.
Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated?

My car (CLK 280 automatic) has recently developed a rubbing noise when accelerating through a tight right hand bend (eg a small roundabout) it seems to originate from the centre of the car rather than the suspension and doesn't appear to occur if I'm not applying power. I'm also under the impression that there is a vibration through the cabin on most roads at all road speeds which I haven't noticed previously.
Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated?
There is a C class platform issue , that might fit your description. The foot brake cable to the rear breaks a clip and drops onto the top of the propshaft which then rubs and makes a noise . It’s hidden under one of the heat shields under the centre of the car.
I don’t think this would account for vibration though .

Could well be a control arm bush worn allowing the front wheel to rub on the inner wing guard.

A worn bush on the control arm will also cause a vibration as the hub will not be held tight.

Car is booked in next week for a check over, initial indications are that vibration may be due to a failed engine mounting.

Update
When looked at from underneath engine mountings appear to be ok and the engine is not in contact with the front subframe as originally thought.
Front near side wheel bearing now seems the most likely cause and has been replaced, initial impressions are favourable.

I would go with the footbrake cable clips as well
My understanding is that they couldn't see any issues with the cable but will ask for confirmation.
I understand that if the clip(s) fail it would make a rubbing noise, not convinced it would be felt as a significant vibration. Appreciate the 'heads up' on a possible issue that I wasn't aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom