Run flats or alternatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I lugged a full size spare with a new tyre around for 21 years in my W201 and it never got used. More remarkable still is 30 years of riding motorcycles with tube type tyres and I've never had a flat.

I've always thought that run flats are a solution to a problem that barely exists. The balance of benefits vs drawbacks is all wrong.

I lugged a full size spare with a new tyre around for 21 years in my W201 and it never got used. More remarkable still is 30 years of riding motorcycles with tube type tyres and I've never had a flat.

I've always thought that run flats are a solution to a problem that barely exists. The balance of benefits vs drawbacks is all wrong.
Just a thought, but I wonder if motorcyclists tend to observe the road surface a little more closely than car drivers? :dk:
A nasty pothole is possibly a bent rim in the car, but a matter of considerable potential injury to the biker.
Certainly the 'narrowness' of the bike makes avoidance of some road objects easier.
I'm sure 50 years on a bike has improved my observation as a motorist.

PS. Do you know that a greater number of punctures occur in wet conditions as sharp objects are lubricated by the water as they pierce a tyre:eek:

Just a thought, but I wonder if motorcyclists tend to observe the road surface a little more closely than car drivers? :dk:
A nasty pothole is possibly a bent rim in the car, but a matter of considerable potential injury to the biker.
Certainly the 'narrowness' of the bike makes avoidance of some road objects easier.
I'm sure 50 years on a bike has improved my observation as a motorist.

PS. Do you know that a greater number of punctures occur in wet conditions as sharp objects are lubricated by the water as they pierce a tyre:eek:

I've had one puncture in 45 years of riding bikes, always have roadside assistance but never have used it.
I agree bikers are more aware generally, helps to keep them safe and miss hazards on the road.
Then again I rarely go out in the rain nowadays as means I need to clean it again.
63CF5AE6-89C3-474A-90CE-B43EF99D8917.jpeg

Last edited:
The contact area of a m/cycle tyre is very small compared to a car tyre, plus a car in general, has two tyre tracks where as a m/cycle has only one.
Must make it more unlikely for a m/cycle to pick up punctures than a car.

I like to sleep at night, i bought a slim spare with the help of the forum for sizing (thanks again gang) so slim spare and jack off ebay, the puncture stuff you have in the boot has a date on so check that, so i also bought slime as the tyre can be repaired with that as mercs stuff you throw the tyre away and lastly i have the plugs as well. So now i sleep sound and in control and i don't wait for anyone for hours........... i hope

For them that carry a spare make an effort and check your pressure every 15 years or so, just in :) case
Ha Ha great, but when i get back in bed at 2 in the morning i can go off to sleep, Ha Ha that was good.

I've had one puncture in 45 years of riding bikes, always have roadside assistance but never have used it.
I agree bikers are more aware generally, helps to keep them safe and miss hazards on the road.
Then again I rarely go out in the rain nowadays as means I need to clean it again.
View attachment 109867
Nice bike but its not a Lambretta

I always get rid of all the run flat tyres from the cars I buy. Regular tyres and a jack but can’t remember the last time when had to replace a punctured tyre. That’s why you should have breakdown cover and don’t even bother about jacks

I always get rid of all the run flat tyres from the cars I buy. Regular tyres and a jack but can’t remember the last time when had to replace a punctured tyre. That’s why you should have breakdown cover and don’t even bother about jacks
But if your able you can change a tyre in 15 mins when you have a spare, how long will you wait for breakdown to arrive ?

I like to sleep at night, i bought a slim spare with the help of the forum for sizing (thanks again gang) so slim spare and jack off ebay, the puncture stuff you have in the boot has a date on so check that, so i also bought slime as the tyre can be repaired with that as mercs stuff you throw the tyre away and lastly i have the plugs as well. So now i sleep sound and in control and i don't wait for anyone for hours........... i hope
I love those plugs , they are a god send .

But if your able you can change a tyre in 15 mins when you have a spare, how long will you wait for breakdown to arrive ?
1hr usually. But how often do you actually puncture a tyre and have to change it on the side of the road?
never had the need to do it on the go, always noticed the leak at home and then went to a garage

1hr usually. But how often do you actually puncture a tyre and have to change it on the side of the road?
never had the need to do it on the go, always noticed the leak at home and then went to a garage
But if you do get a puncture do they bring a new tyre, lend you a spare or low load you to a garage ?
Never had to do it, I know with my bike they will pick me up, but with a car ?

It might be your policy but it's not illegal and plenty of tyre places will fix them. The ones that don't are generally the usual suspects who always tell you that your puncture cannot be repaired just to sell you a new tyre.
No you are so far from the truth there fella........... the reason we won't repair fun flats is because people like yourself think it's safe to repair them but once it's done and you blast off down the road and it blows out and you crash then you automatically blame us for fixing the tyre that had almost killed you...... you then take us to court for damages so it's best that we don't fix them in the first place. It's your choice to either but a new tyre or get a back street garage to fix it and take a chance. Never said it was illegal to fix them and it's your choice to buy a new tyre or walk away as no one is holding a gun to your head............ It's all about safety and the customer not killing themselves and nothing more.

So, I've researched the option of a spare "skinny" wheel & tyre and there is no where to store it in the car other than flat on the boot floor. Seems that there is/was a factory option to have a spare wheel well but as an after-fit its serious work. I may get a skinny for use on road trips, but don't want to carry one all the time.

I've now reduced the options to:-
4 new run flats.
4 new standard tyres together with puncture repair slime & a small compressor.

I've read so much that I don't know what to believe:-

Run flats
  • More susceptible to side wall damage particularly from pot holes (we live on an un-made road with loads of pot holes and in recent years have replaced several standard tyres due to side wall damage)?
  • Tread wear is higher than standard tyres?
  • Not reparable following a puncture - post 35 above?
Standard tyres
  • Slime doesn't fix all punctures?
  • Certain slime types can be washed out allowing a subsequent repair?
  • Probably better ride quality?

So, I've researched the option of a spare "skinny" wheel & tyre and there is no where to store it in the car other than flat on the boot floor. Seems that there is/was a factory option to have a spare wheel well but as an after-fit its serious work. I may get a skinny for use on road trips, but don't want to carry one all the time.

I've now reduced the options to:-
4 new run flats.
4 new standard tyres together with puncture repair slime & a small compressor.

I've read so much that I don't know what to believe:-

Run flats
  • More susceptible to side wall damage particularly from pot holes (we live on an un-made road with loads of pot holes and in recent years have replaced several standard tyres due to side wall damage)?
  • Tread wear is higher than standard tyres?
  • Not reparable following a puncture - post 35 above?
Standard tyres
  • Slime doesn't fix all punctures?
  • Certain slime types can be washed out allowing a subsequent repair?
  • Probably better ride quality?
I guess if you go standard and slime doesn’t work you have to just accept that a puncture has to be considered a break down.

I’ll be going standards as soon as these runflats are worn out.

12 months roadside assistance came with the car. Don't know if that is renewed with main dealer servicing - don't think so as it is on a 24 month service interval. Something else to research :wallbash:

At the moment car is hardly used at all :(. Bought just before christmas and haven't used a tank of fuel yet.
Once Covid is over it will most likely be used for local shopping (up to 20 mile round trip) say twice a week. Occasional weekend visits to the coast or similar (up to 50 mile round trip). Uk weeks/weekend trips away (anything between 150 mile and 1000 mile round trips)
We have in recent years done the Grand Tour of Italy - 3000+ mile trip, North Coast 500 - 1500+ mile trip.

Ride quality is not an issue. But the risk on a longer trip of a puncture then a range on a run flat of 50 miles could be an issue.
It's always important to work out "requirements" before trying to designing the "solution."

It's hard to see a requirement for "run flat safety" in that list, apart from the "Grand Tour" piece. (And it's unlikely that you'll be repeating THAT trip this year)

Normal tyres with slick are my prescription to your condition.

It's 200,000 miles since I last had a flat 13 years ago, late one evening, 20 miles away from home. It's just not on my radar as an issue. Being lazy, I called the AA and they fixed it within 90 minutes of the call.

My runaround errand car is a 330i SE on normal tyres with a 5th spare wheel that lives on top of a cupboard in the garage, just on the off-chance that the car might do a long distance tour one day. (It won't). More likely, I might break down one day locally and call my wife out with the spare.

Runflats on the 3 series are appalling, even on an SE spec car.

Save your money: buy normal tyres.

One day run-flats will be worth the extra money and deliver a comfortable ride, but not any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom