S class w222 / E class W213 (‘16 onwards)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good luck !! Pay the right price for the right spec and it'll be a bargain for a few years' luxury motoring.

Who would believe, for example, that this eighty thousand pound 3,000 mile S350CDI can now be bought for just £30k ?

The Benefit in Kind tax breaks on Company car EV's has dumped some great ICE vehicles onto the used market at silly prices.

65606b6e273544ad976daf05145b834f.jpg

60013e49b7c64d5d8dfc42c8d390c60a.jpg

Last edited:
Oops! I think I have missed some key info that transpired throughout this journey. The w222 s350d is a great car, the Mrs insisted on AMG line stylistically so that meant LWB by default and whilst we can’t deny it is an amazing car, for her (and perhaps if I’m being totally honest for me too) it just felt that bit too big to handle, I’d like to think we would have learnt how to handle it comfortably and swiftly whatever the scenario, however, the search evolved to focus on the W213 e class models. We’re talking what might be quite small incremental margins to accomplished drivers of larger sized vehicles here but the differences in size do add up and we felt there is a noticeable difference, I think the ‘Russian doll’ comparison is simplistic but good in that - one can fit a c in an e and an e in an s class.

So we scoured the web for good examples of the w213 of which i’d say there are quite a few particularly if you’re not fussed about colour, seat material, instrument cluster style, SE or AMG Line trims (the SEs are arguably more practical with the space saver spare wheel I think) but of course the Mrs set a spec list and would not budge the must haves were as follows:

- AMG Line
- Diesel / Diesel Bluetec
- Grey or Dark Blue
- Panoramic Roof
- Full Nappa Leather
- Full Continuous Digital Dash with Apple CarPlay
- Open Pore Ash Wood trim including the Centre console area (this may be trivial but basically this rules out anything pre 2018 I think as all earlier examples have a high gloss style black Centre console embellishment here as far as I could see and these are prone to scratching easily)

The nice to haves but not essentials/ or some flexibility:

- Burmester sound system
- 30k miles
- Approved used / Full Mercedes s/history

- Some driving aid toys (eg blind spot assist, driving assist+ 360 camera)
-Split rear folding seats

Finally despite my searching efforts it was the wife’s eagle eyes that came across an approved used E220d Bluetec 2018 with 36k on the clock and a full MB service history. The spec is as follows:
- Cavansite Blue, AMG Line (prem plus), COMAND online, Full Digital Dash, Apple CarPlay, Panoramic Roof, Saddle Brown Nappa Leather, Panel Trims in Open Pore Black Ash Wood including Centre Console, Burmester sound system, split rear folding seats.

We brought her home today and we are, so far reassured by the quality of the trim fittings, seats and overall ride quality as I think one should expect with any MB to some extent. We are quite amazed by the level of tech in the car and the ambient lighting feature is quite a nice party trick which during our searches we were not really able to appreciate fully first hand given the longer daylight hours these months.

We are still figuring out all of the buttons/settings I’m sure they are self explanatory most of them but I still have to figure out how to program the memory seats (yes I know despite being a big M 1 2 and 3 there!) and what that button next to the heated seat button on the driver’s side does have not used the cruise control feature yet (in this car) but I wonder what the silver button on the end is for as the older MB cruise control stalk didn’t have one.

Pictures will follow (might take a couple of days so please bear with)

I’d like to thank the forum members for all of the advice received - all, as always, much appreciated.

We are still figuring out all of the buttons/settings I’m sure they are self explanatory most of them but I still have to figure out how to program the memory seats (yes I know despite being a big M 1 2 and 3 there!) and what that button next to the heated seat button on the driver’s side does
The memory function is easy enough. Set it to how you want and then press M and 1 for the main driver and so on for the other. Only annoyance for me is that it doesn’t remember the setting for the rear view mirror, just the seat and steering wheel. My son said the button next to the heated seats let’s you control the passenger seat to some extent but I can’t remember if it’s the memory settings or heat, I think it’s heat but not 100% sure. Not sure why you’ld need to control that seat really.

Oops! I think I have missed some key info that transpired throughout this journey. The w222 s350d is a great car, the Mrs insisted on AMG line stylistically so that meant LWB by default and whilst we can’t deny it is an amazing car, for her (and perhaps if I’m being totally honest for me too) it just felt that bit too big to handle, I’d like to think we would have learnt how to handle it comfortably and swiftly whatever the scenario, however, the search evolved to focus on the W213 e class models. We’re talking what might be quite small incremental margins to accomplished drivers of larger sized vehicles here but the differences in size do add up and we felt there is a noticeable difference, I think the ‘Russian doll’ comparison is simplistic but good in that - one can fit a c in an e and an e in an s class.

So we scoured the web for good examples of the w213 of which i’d say there are quite a few particularly if you’re not fussed about colour, seat material, instrument cluster style, SE or AMG Line trims (the SEs are arguably more practical with the space saver spare wheel I think) but of course the Mrs set a spec list and would not budge the must haves were as follows:

- AMG Line
- Grey or Dark Blue
- Panoramic Roof
- Full Nappa Leather
- Open Pore Ash Wood trim including the Centre console area (this may be trivial but basically this rules out anything pre 2018 I think as all earlier examples have a high gloss style black Centre console embellishment here as far as I could see and these are prone to scratching easily)

- Burmester sound system
- 30k miles

Finally despite my searching efforts it was the wife’s eagle eyes that came across an approved used E220d Bluetec 2018 with 36k on the clock and a full MB service history. The spec is as follows:
- Cavansite Blue, AMG Line (prem plus), COMAND online, Full Digital Dash, Apple CarPlay, Panoramic Roof, Saddle Brown Nappa Leather, Panel Trims in Open Pore Black Ash Wood including Centre Console, Burmester sound system, split rear folding seats.

We brought her home today and we are, so far reassured by the quality of the trim fittings, seats and overall ride quality as I think one should expect with any MB to some extent. We are quite amazed by the level of tech in the car and the ambient lighting feature is quite a nice party trick which during our searches we were not really able to appreciate fully first hand given the longer daylight hours these months.

We are still figuring out all of the buttons/settings I’m sure they are self explanatory most of them but I still have to figure out how to program the memory seats (yes I know despite being a big M 1 2 and 3 there!) and what that button next to the heated seat button on the driver’s side does have not used the cruise control feature yet (in this car) but I wonder what the silver button on the end is for as the older MB cruise control stalk didn’t have one.

I’d like to thank the forum members for all of the advice received - all, as always, much appreciated.
Sounds lovely buddy , looking forward to the pics

It's a common problem. Every relaunch means that cars get bigger and bigger: the Polo becomes Golf sized, the 3 series becomes 5 series (E39 sized) and so on.

And length is a problem, no matter what wives say. My son still grimaces from his 15 year old recollection of me trying to get an S500L (W220) around the spiral ramp of an Art Nouveau garage in central Paris, late one Saturday night in 2006

The E class is a great car. That's why they consistently sell a quarter of a million every year. Hope it works out well for you.

Last edited:
The S is indeed a large car but when you park it next to an E, I don't think it's a lot bigger personally.

A lot of it is how you perceive the car.

I find it just as easy to move it around as I did my previous E Class, and there is a good 40cm more so the S.

The widths are fairly similar on most cars these days so it's only really the the longer wheel base you have to contend with.

With a 360 camera, they really are easy to move around.

That said, the S is a bigger car and although I love how it drives and everything about it, I would consider an E Class next time if I can comfortably drive one around.

I love having the space in the S but I don't really need it if I can comfortably fit in the E.

My E was a 211 so not a fair comparison with a 222 but nevertheless, the S is that much more comfortable for me but then I am 6'4".

You are the ones who have to drive the car and therefore it has to suit you the most so good luck with it.

An E Class is hardly slumming it!

Now will someone please buy a SWB S350d and let me know how good it is :cool:

I'd find one at a local MB dealer and go and try it yourself! :cool:

As the American voiceover guy would say in Call Of Duty 5 (World At War), out-f-ing-standing!

As SWMBO said to me, "Just because you think you can get it in, doesn't mean to say that I can."

5250 vs 4900 mm.

It's only 14 inches, but it does make a lot of difference when parking on London streets.

Even with modern parking aids some people are very nervous parking.

Cavansite Blue was my colour of choice too, is it 20” wheels multispoke, do like the look of tan leather, something different.

Attachments

• 0F0991B7-F96C-4166-B164-0A6A6C8496D4.jpeg
    0F0991B7-F96C-4166-B164-0A6A6C8496D4.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 16
Cavansite Blue was my colour of choice too, is it 20” wheels multispoke, do like the look of tan leather, something different.
Love those rims (should have mentioned they were also certainly on the nice to have list too) it’s got the 19” twin spoke (standard on AMG Line I believe)

- AMG Line
- Grey or Dark Blue
- Panoramic Roof
- Full Nappa Leather

- Burmester sound system
- 30k miles

There can’t bea lot of difference between the models now because my SE has the same spec.

Very nice - I like the SE stylistically too.

The uploaded file (photo) is too large (4mb) took a screenshot of it went to upload and it has ballooned in size to 8.8mb?! Looks like I will have to do some image file resizing faffing.

Well I would like to see some pictures,I do not think I have ever seen a Cavansite Blue with Saddle Brown seats.

That’s lovely - 350?
Wanna sell it ?
It’s a 220d Bluetec

… I’m quite sure she, like her older friend in the following pic, is a keeper, I am absolutely flattered by the generous compliment though - thanks.

Attachments

• AA97A752-BDE3-4688-B5B5-66E45005273C.jpeg
    AA97A752-BDE3-4688-B5B5-66E45005273C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom