• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S Class Who and Why

I always feel good when I'm in my car and still look back at it when parked up. I really like the comfort and quality of the nappa leather heated and ventilated seats. The ride quality is brilliant despite the 20" wheels. Distronic is a revelation. I just wanted a car that was reasonably priced, reasonably reliable and made my feel "special" when I was either driving it or just cleaning it. This W221 fits my requirements very well and averaging just over 40mpg is a bonus.

View attachment 135504
View attachment 135505
View attachment 135506
View attachment 135507

Very nice indeed. What engine do you have in yours?

You mention distronic, it seems many come without it. It also seems the ones that come with night vision don't seem to have distronic.

I have night vision in my current w212. I would definitely prefer distronic if I were to pick from either.

One thing I'm also not sure about. Do all w221 come with Intelligent light systems. Or is it active beam assist.

I have the ILS on my 212 and it offers great visibility.

Rubbish.
An S class buyer will enjoy the experience of being in the most comfortable and luxurious model Mercedes produce.
Take a ride in an E class, then step into an S class. The difference is immediate.
If an owner can afford an S class, why not. It's not about status, its about getting a great car.
@AMGeed - It is possible that you are both right. For some it maybe a choice based on status and wanting to appear in the right car. For others it could be as you have explained.

I do like the S class range of cars and think that they would be great for long road trips where you can relax while coasting along the motorway at a reasonable rate of knots. (M25 excluded but at least you can relax while waiting)
I have not driven a S Class but can imagine that it is a very nice experience and the S65 AMG Coupe version appears to be an amazing car from what I have seen. So the S class gets my :thumb:

Very nice indeed. What engine do you have in yours?

You mention distronic, it seems many come without it. It also seems the ones that come with night vision don't seem to have distronic.

I have night vision in my current w212. I would definitely prefer distronic if I were to pick from either.

One thing I'm also not sure about. Do all w221 come with Intelligent light systems. Or is it active beam assist.

I have the ILS on my 212 and it offers great visibility.
Mine has the 3.0L Diesel Bluetec engine.

Distronic is a rare option in the W221. I was looking for ages to find the spec that I wanted. I think that all the facelift W221 come with ILS.

Distronic is a rare option in the W221. I was looking for ages to find the spec that I wanted. I think that all the facelift W221 come with ILS.

Ok excellent, thank you for the info 👍

Lovely machine you have there.

Both Distronic Plus and ILS were (paying) options on the 221, but fitted as standard on the 500 and above.

I have a 2006 S600 - bought last spring. You do get a lot of car for your money. Even my local garage was surprised how many 'modern' options it has for a 16 year old car - that's a benefit of Mercedes introducing their latest tech in the S-Class before later making it available on other models. A later car with the same tech would have cost me a lot more. I bought it as a way to experience a powerful multi-cylinder petrol engine before it becomes difficult to run one. I wasn't disappointed - the engine is sooo smooth, with only a hint of it's sporty nature making its way into the cabin. I've been running it in comfort mode most of the time, and it still blows the socks off most fellow road users, despite pulling away in 2nd gear and changing up very early.

As well as having awesome performance, it's perfectly happy (and so am I) wafting around in serene comfort. In fact my driving style is notably different when I'm in it - I'm much more patient, relaxed and courteous. That's a bonus that I didn't expect, because I'm rarely in a hurry anyway, and have had biggish cars for the last 15 years or so. It's a car that's good for the soul!

As a serial S class owner (all new), its a great place to be. Everything is just right, dashboard, seating, comfort, it has it all. The S class is where Mercedes introduce the latest technology ie Distronic, self park, night vision etc., long before it filters down to their other models. Fabulous ride, space, just has it all. My first Mercedes was a CLS, the original shape which I loved & would have continued with them but they changed the style which to me was awful, so they gave me an S class for the weekend. No comparison. S class from then on, apart from a mental aberration when I decided to get a BMW Grand Coupe as I thought it would be comfy & sporty. It was neither. Kept it for about a month then traded it in for an S class. Lost a fortune due to BMW heavy discounting. The back seats on my cars are hardly ever used. A few people have mentioned status & although you poo poo it, in your subconscious it is there, you do think this is a better place to be than that car & you do get treated better by the dealership, for obvious reasons, but still never been given any freebees when taking delivery of a new one. :mad:

A 500 been linked to a different thread/section of the forum doesn't seem to have distronic fitted. 06 registration

My comment was about the size causing issues/challenges rather than comfort. Personally I’d go for the LWB for the full experiences, and avoid tight car parks.
Bobby, commenting on size and comfort leads me think you’re posting on the wrong forum here ….. 😂

I’d Bloomin love an S Class in any guise. 350d AMG Line would be perfect. As much power/torque as most people need in a car. And can bling it up with AMG badges, mats, quad exhaust etc.
I though / think the point of the S class is to keep it nice, understated, classy and elegant? Or at least, I bought mine for those reasons...

I though / think the point of the S class is to keep it nice, understated, classy and elegant? Or at least, I bought mine for those reasons...
My car is exactly as it left the factory. It came with £15k worth of factory fitted options and is totally original. Nothing added and nothing taken away 😁

A 500 been linked to a different thread/section of the forum doesn't seem to have distronic fitted. 06 registration

An 06 plate would be pre-facelift (2009 - 210 iirc). The info applies to facelift models.

hth

...........................A few people have mentioned status & although you poo poo it, in your subconscious it is there, you do think this is a better place to be than that car & you do get treated better by the dealership, for obvious reasons, but still never been given any freebees when taking delivery of a new one. :mad:
Aah a honest man.

Re the freebees - when I lived in Australia, I had a new LandCruiser 200 and then a New SLK350. Both cars fell into the luxury tax category and were heavily taxed and expensive compared to here (my my SLK (in 2012) cost ~£60k (~ AUD 100k) at the time. Both dealers lavished me with all sorts of gifts and invites to events (track days, golf days etc). Nothing like that here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was 36/7 when I bought my S Class, the main appeal was pure comfort. My general driving is 500 miles in one weekend every other weekend. Nothing I've driven matches the comfort, quietness and ability of an S drive to do mile after mile without fuss.

I've owned an E Class, I own a CLS63 still, my other half has had a CLS, two MLs and an SL. The S class was more refined than all of them and felt like a real occasion to drive despite being a diesel. Also, I loved the presence it had and the way it looked although that was more the W221 that did it for more.

My only criticism of the S Class was that it wasn't a car you'd go and get in and drive for the sake of it. This is something I've noticed since buying my CL. That has all the refinement of the S Class but with a sportier drive. It's like a toned down version of my CLS63 with the comfort of the S. You could sit in it for hours on the motorway or take it for a blast for the sake of driving it.

An S Class is a special car in my opinion and undoubtedly a step up from the E Class in my opinion. In the same way a C Class is to an E Class.

I was 36/7 when I bought my S Class
Joking aside I don't think I've eve seen anyone as young as that behind the wheel of one....I do see them more as...erm?.....older mens cars. When you get to that age that you will sacrifice steering feel, on the limit handling, accept excessive body roll and the forget the ability to rear wheel steer (without punching a hole backwards in a hedge at least).....for that floating cloud like ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom