• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S Class Who and Why

There are loads of free simple apps (both IPhone and Android) that reduce pics in two or three clicks...I use an Android one called "Photo and Picture Resizer"....an name they clearly put a lot of thought and imagination into!!!

There are loads of free simple apps (both IPhone and Android) that reduce pics in two or three clicks...I use an Android one called "Photo and Picture Resizer"....an name they clearly put a lot of thought and imagination into!!!
I have a samsung phone and the standard Samsung picture app that comes pre installed is able to resize.

Why an S Class? My reason was simple in 2007. At the time I was living in Norfolk and working in Yorkshire. The change from an E Class to an S Class halved my stress levels on that journey my my own metric.
The 3 litre V6 diesel, the gearbox, the performance and the fuel consumption were all much the same, but the additional comfort, refinement and sense of calm made all the difference. I never really entered many cities with the car and I had a large garage so didn't really notice the size increase.
I kept the car 2.5 years and it was replaced when I was doing less miles by a CLS.
The CLS could be more fun than the S, but gave away a just little in refinement.
Spool forward to 2020 and I bought an even more refined car than the S Class, the Audi A8. But, as my requirement to travel mega miles in retirement decreased after 2.5 years, I bought something a little more fun, the Porsche Macan.
This allowed me to sell my MX-5 as I now have a car capable of looking after me over a reasonable milage and can be driven like a Sportscar when required. I can also get the dogs in it....and It fits in my smaller garage after a house move.
Am I just too practical?

Am I just too practical?
But will it last?

Steve Cropley has a great put down for you. Noting that the Macan outsells every other SUV in its class with 87,000 units annually - more than Jaguar makes across all models - he then goes on to say - how can Porsche retain that air of exclusivity when it does that ...... the trouble with the Macan is that there's one parked outside every school of an afternoon...

(Complaints please to SteveCrapley@Autocar etc)

Last edited:
iMike its a wonder you didn’t see my car, I was visiting friends on Southside Common/ Murray Road last week.
To quote Bob Hoskins "Oi, but that's my manor !"

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 17.00.02.png

But will it last?

Steve Cropley has a great put down for you. Noting that the Macan outsells every other SUV in its class with 87,000 units annually - more than Jaguar makes across all models - he then goes on to say - how can Porsche retain that air of exclusivity when it does that ...... the trouble with the Macan is that there's one parked outside every school of an afternoon...

(Complaints please to SteveCrapley@Autocar etc)
I don‘t want a car to be exclusive, I want it to be good.

Why an S Class? My reason was simple in 2007. At the time I was living in Norfolk and working in Yorkshire. The change from an E Class to an S Class halved my stress levels on that journey my my own metric.
The 3 litre V6 diesel, the gearbox, the performance and the fuel consumption were all much the same, but the additional comfort, refinement and sense of calm made all the difference. I never really entered many cities with the car and I had a large garage so didn't really notice the size increase.
I kept the car 2.5 years and it was replaced when I was doing less miles by a CLS.
The CLS could be more fun than the S, but gave away a just little in refinement.
Spool forward to 2020 and I bought an even more refined car than the S Class, the Audi A8. But, as my requirement to travel mega miles in retirement decreased after 2.5 years, I bought something a little more fun, the Porsche Macan.
This allowed me to sell my MX-5 as I now have a car capable of looking after me over a reasonable milage and can be driven like a Sportscar when required. I can also get the dogs in it....and It fits in my smaller garage after a house move.
Am I just too practical?
Was the A8 really more refined then the S, how was it overall, would like your thoughts on it.

The short answer is yes.
You can read all about it here:

Would like to try a bargain S, not sure which model is 'best' if only to compare the seat for comfort against my W212. Just did a 2000 mile trip to Skye and back via the Lake District and the seat wasn't the most comfortable.

So which S class has the best seat anyone?

Would like to try a bargain S, not sure which model is 'best' if only to compare the seat for comfort against my W212. Just did a 2000 mile trip to Skye and back via the Lake District and the seat wasn't the most comfortable.

I would say that the seat in my S class has so many variations, it did take me a while to set it up. It can be most uncomfortable if you get it wrong as I did, for quite a while. I don’t know if the seats vary at all, I remember watching a video about them developing the seats so guess not much more than can do. I also found , with the first German car I have owned, that they tend to be on the firm side, as opposed to, for example Lexus.
I have done seriously long journeys, Orkney‘s back to Chester, no problem , and I do have back issues and if I get the seat setting wrong I soon know about it.

I have a 2011 S350L (W221 facelift). The seats are Passion (Nappa) leather. They are heated, and ventilated with memory and have the "comfort" headrests. Lots of adjustments to play with to get it just right but these are the most comfortable car seats I've experienced.

I have reached a year from retirement age.
And for years I hankered after a 2015 BMW 7 series, but always at the back of my mind was an S Class.
My heart won and I bought a 7 Series.
But since then I have been wondering, did I get it right!
And I find myself constantly looking at the equivalent aged S Class.
Is the ride of an S Class better?
As, for me is the over riding factor.

And for years I hankered after a 2015 BMW 7 series, but always at the back of my mind was an S Class.
It’s been a long time since I had a go in a 7-Series. Best have a go in an S-Class back-to-back with the 7 -Series to be sure.

Interesting one, and as ever not always a simple answer..a 2015 7 series could be the last of the F01 generation or possibly first of the newer G11series ?...I owned a 2011 730d for a year or so and afterwards test drove a similar aged Sclass owned by a friend...the S class rode way better although it was on smaller 18inch wheels compared to my 7 that was on 19's and didn't have air suspension that the S class had. I currently drive a 2016 W222 S class short wheel base on 20inch wheels which still rides beautifully but not quite as supple and cosseting as the 18s. I have also driven a newer 20 plate 7 series on 20inch wheels and was genuinely surprised at how much better my S Class rode in comparison...the 7 series had a very floaty primary ride in comfort but quite crashy secondary ride which I wasn't expecting, but may have been better on smaller wheels. I guess the point is with so many different suspension/wheel size/tyre choices and setups available on the same model it can really effect the ride quality from one to another. Generally speaking I believe older S classes ride better than equivalent 7 series...but I'm biased :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom