• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S Class Who and Why

Joking aside I don't think I've eve seen anyone as young as that behind the wheel of one....I do see them more as...erm?.....older mens cars. When you get to that age that you will sacrifice steering feel, on the limit handling, accept excessive body roll and the forget the ability to rear wheel steer (without punching a hole backwards in a hedge at least).....for that floating cloud like ride.
Haha that was incredibly diplomatic! But you're right they tend to appeal more to the senior gentleman. I almost liked the contrast of me as the driver in terms of looks and age. I wouldn't have bought one if I wasn't doing the miles the way I do. I literally do 120 miles to pick up my daughter, turn round and come back. It's M25/M3/M4 so all cruising really so it was perfect for it.

The thing is, with the ABC set up in the CL it doesn't roll or feel wayward at all. I'd imagine an S500 with the same suspension would feel tighter on the bends than the Airmatic. The CL feels like a much smaller car in the bends than it is, very clever how it manages that. I've got my Saab 9-3 for long drives now too, not comparable but it's pretty comfortable but the CL is like a prettier, sportier S.

Haha that was incredibly diplomatic! But you're right they tend to appeal more to the senior gentleman. I almost liked the contrast of me as the driver in terms of looks and age. I wouldn't have bought one if I wasn't doing the miles the way I do. I literally do 120 miles to pick up my daughter, turn round and come back. It's M25/M3/M4 so all cruising really so it was perfect for it.

The thing is, with the ABC set up in the CL it doesn't roll or feel wayward at all. I'd imagine an S500 with the same suspension would feel tighter on the bends than the Airmatic. The CL feels like a much smaller car in the bends than it is, very clever how it manages that. I've got my Saab 9-3 for long drives now too, not comparable but it's pretty comfortable but the CL is like a prettier, sportier S.
I think that works to a certain extent BUT there is a group of younger people who bag their S classes (lower the suspension) and cruise around in them too. This is where some traditionalists will not like the fashion of lowering the car closer to the ground.

I think that works to a certain extent BUT there is a group of younger people who bag their S classes (lower the suspension) and cruise around in them too. This is where some traditionalists will not like the fashion of lowering the car closer to the ground.
Very true, as some cars become cheaper to buy they will fall into the hands of those willing to modify them. Admittedly, some with the cash will modify expensive cars too but it's less common.

I sun an S/CL Class group on FB that's managed to wrack up nearly 3,000 members. We have one notable modder on there who has a 2003 CL500 which is lowered, had it plastidipped or something similar in a flip cherry red colour. It's actually very very nicely done and looks spot on, he's always changing bits and pieces which stirs up some positive conversation on the group.

He is the only one who posts so they're still not hugely popular with the modifiers but it does happen. I think most modders, generally younger guys have more interest in a C63 or A45 than a huge barge. See modified barges more in the VW scene that's for sure.

I want to get a S65 one day but I am afraid it will make me dump my much loved E63. I wish it made sense to have them both…

I have a 2018 S400d W222 and love it. I had a Lexus LS430 for a long time which I loved, and in some ways regret selling, but age and availability of spares particularly in Europe meant it had to go. My brother bought an S Class , and I drove it and tbh could not believe how pleasant it was to drive and how manoeuvrable for such a large car. I instantly bonded with it, and bought mine just under 29 months ago.
I specifically only use it for long motorway journeys and get over 50mpg in the summer, which is just amazing and hi 40’s now. It suits my purpose and I do feel special each time I drive it. It is large, but it kind of doesn’t matter once on the move and it just eats up the miles. I didn’t buy it for status, I am 72 so over all of that, but liked the colour combos and overall quality feel. It also has the winter pack with heated armrests which are just lovely to experience.
I will not do massive mileage, but want to tour Europe, and bought LWB so I can take friends in comfort.
Only downside is , it wears out front tyres, got 14000 on Conti‘s but we shall see how I get on with Michelins, which I prefer. I get it serviced at the main dealer, with a Mercedes Service Plan, who have so far been excellent (Inchcape).
My brother uses his daily, and tows a caravan and loves his.
I am unsure how long I will keep it, and judging from comments on here there do not seam to be many faults……but it is loaded with technology which may fail after 10 years, but may not. I certainly did not buy it expecting it to be cheap to own, new list price was £102k, and am prepared , but obviously hope not to be necessary.
Finally, whilst I never seek them, I am constantly complimented by strangers regarding the looks, style and colour combo. It is Midnight Blue with Beige interior with 20 inch wheels and is always clean and well polished and does look amazing, and is my pride and joy. There is definitely a very good reason why the S Class is so well regarded.
However my local driving is done in my wife‘s Jazz Hybrid, another amazing car but that is for another blog.
Cheers, Roger

I might as well add this here while I still might be one of the youngest S class owners to reply to this thread 😆
I was 28 years old when I bought my first S class. It was an S600 w221 model and the first Mercedes I bought to actually keep for myself.

As most of you have seen here, I did modify my S class and I loved the way the car looked. To me it looked oem+ but not everyone might agree with me :)

Why did I buy it? I wasn’t looking for an S class but a friend of mine told me about one of his client having an s class and that he was thinking of selling the car. I thought I’d go and see it. Once I drove the car, the performance of the V12 TT blew me away! Especially from such a big, heavy car.
I thought the way it looked, it didn’t match its performance, that’s why I fitted the AMG kit on mine. Seeing that Mercedes sold even the diesel model with the AMG kit from factory, I thought it wouldn’t be such a bad thing to fit the kit on mine.

I fell in love with the shape of the w221. It had so much road presence. i think they look so good with the AMG kit.
Out of all the cars I’ve owned and I’ve owned a few performance cars over the years, the s class got the most attention from all different age groups and everyone seemed to love the car. I won’t lie, it put a smile on my face hearing a teenager compliment how nice the car looked and next time I’d be having a chat with someone in their 60’s- 70’s and they’d be complimenting the car just the same.

It had so many options that you don’t even get on some new cars. To me, the S class has more than you’d want on a car and still feels modern enough ( w221 model )

The ride is amazing and mine was lowered and running 21 inch wheels. It was still the smoothest car I’ve ever owned :D

For me it’s not about status or proving anything to anyone. I have been told I look younger than I am so I have had a few comments in the past from people saying this must be your fathers car or I must be doing something to be able to drive an S class but you’ll always come across people like that. It doesn’t bother me now, if it makes them feel better to think that way then that’s fine by me.

I thought I was bored of my S600 and I did sell the car. Soon I realised I wasn’t bored of the S class w221 model. Recently I bought another one and I said if I ever bought another S class, it would have to be a genuine AMG model but as I haven’t mentioned which AMG model it is yet, I will leave that information out. Soon it will be revealed :)
The S600 was a long wheel base and so is the one I recently bought. I live in London and sometimes the parking can be a bit tricky.

I have noticed that I’m more chilled when driving the S class compare to how I’d drive an M3. It is fun sometimes looking in the rear view mirror and seeing a sports car getting smaller and smaller. I had a few people get surprised in the past

One last thing….. it seems like the days are coming to an end having such big engine cars and I want to enjoy them while I can :)

Last edited:
I have a 2018 S400d W222 and love it. I had a Lexus LS430 for a long time which I loved, and in some ways regret selling, but age and availability of spares particularly in Europe meant it had to go. My brother bought an S Class , and I drove it and tbh could not believe how pleasant it was to drive and how manoeuvrable for such a large car. I instantly bonded with it, and bought mine just under 29 months ago.
I specifically only use it for long motorway journeys and get over 50mpg in the summer, which is just amazing and hi 40’s now. It suits my purpose and I do feel special each time I drive it. It is large, but it kind of doesn’t matter once on the move and it just eats up the miles. I didn’t buy it for status, I am 72 so over all of that, but liked the colour combos and overall quality feel. It also has the winter pack with heated armrests which are just lovely to experience.
I will not do massive mileage, but want to tour Europe, and bought LWB so I can take friends in comfort.
Only downside is , it wears out front tyres, got 14000 on Conti‘s but we shall see how I get on with Michelins, which I prefer. I get it serviced at the main dealer, with a Mercedes Service Plan, who have so far been excellent (Inchcape).
My brother uses his daily, and tows a caravan and loves his.
I am unsure how long I will keep it, and judging from comments on here there do not seam to be many faults……but it is loaded with technology which may fail after 10 years, but may not. I certainly did not buy it expecting it to be cheap to own, new list price was £102k, and am prepared , but obviously hope not to be necessary.
Finally, whilst I never seek them, I am constantly complimented by strangers regarding the looks, style and colour combo. It is Midnight Blue with Beige interior with 20 inch wheels and is always clean and well polished and does look amazing, and is my pride and joy. There is definitely a very good reason why the S Class is so well regarded.
However my local driving is done in my wife‘s Jazz Hybrid, another amazing car but that is for another blog.
Cheers, Roger
Very nice write up, would love to see some pictures of yours.

I might as well add this here while I still might be one of the youngest S class owners to reply to this thread 😆
I was 28 years old when I bought my first S class. It was an S600 w221 model and the first Mercedes I bought to actually keep for myself.
My friend purchased his daughter an old S-Class when she got her driver's license (~18 years old) in the late 90s. She hated it and often asked him to change it. His response, “It is big, safe and reliable. When you buy your own car you can buy what you want."

My friend purchased his daughter an old S-Class when she got her driver's license (~18 years old) in the late 90s. She hated it and often asked him to change it. His response, “It is big, safe and reliable. When you buy your own car you can buy what you want."

S class at the age of 18! Wow, I'm sure most people didn't expect a young girl to get out of the drivers door :D

S class at the age of 18! Wow, I'm sure most people didn't expect a young girl to get out of the drivers door :D
It wasn’t exactly new. There were a lot of MBs around in SA back then. My parents were driving them in the 70s.

Thank you very much for all of your kind comments. I am not ignoring your request and have taken some pics , but each time I try to upload I am told the file is too large. I am therefore looking at how, so please be patient with me. Kind regards,
Roger

Thank you very much for all of your kind comments. I am not ignoring your request and have taken some pics , but each time I try to upload I am told the file is too large. I am therefore looking at how, so please be patient with me. Kind regards,
Roger
Photo shoot the pics, that shrinks them, then post the pics. 👍

Attachments

• A6A3ADB5-C4C8-4A4A-B2A6-104197043E84.jpeg
    A6A3ADB5-C4C8-4A4A-B2A6-104197043E84.jpeg
    587.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 1FF2AE5A-1F1C-414B-B0C0-766F739F3491.jpeg
    1FF2AE5A-1F1C-414B-B0C0-766F739F3491.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 46BB74CD-40DA-428A-9E5D-98B85ACD3CB9.jpeg
    46BB74CD-40DA-428A-9E5D-98B85ACD3CB9.jpeg
    418.9 KB · Views: 44