S202 C43 Lateral Acceleration Sensor, am I correct on the location?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blobsta

Car
S202 C43 Wagon
Hi all,

I have been doing some work on my C43 Wagon and fitting some stereo upgrades. I managed to get my small class D amplifier under the boot carpet (the piece just behind the rear seats) and was very pleased with myself, this however was short-lived as I think I've damaged some wiring to the aforementioned sensor. Since I fitted the amplifier, the BAS and ESP (I think) warning lights have been on. They come and go sporadically anyway mostly when I've been playing with the car a lot and let the battery drain down but having charged it fully, I know this isn't the issue. I can start the car and have no warning lights but within about 30yds of driving they illuminate - I expect as a result of monitoring wheels turning.

So I have the below code and my diagnostic is nice and specific in as much as it tells me down to which component I need to investigate, what I don't have is a resource of component locations. Can anyone point me at a TIS or similar resource for the 202?

As always, thanks for any help here.
IMG-5196.jpg

As I get cross when people don't update their threads to say what the fault was, I have to post my resolution here :)

This was actually the sensor at fault, I was sure it was going to be wiring but @RogerSausage suggested that the sensor had "had a wobble" and it got me thinking that I could well be wrong; surely if my diagnostic could tell me it had a short to ground it would be wiring but equally it said it could be open circuit, well it can't be both can it?

I found a secondhand sensor on eBay for £9.99 including delivery, removed from an A Class apparently but has the same part number so I ordered it. It arrived this afternoon and 20 minutes later it was fitted, test driven and fault codes no longer present. RESULT!

On the off chance anyone else is trying to diagnose the same issue, the BAS and ESP (I think) lights, the two amber ones on the left of the cluster would come on as soon as the car went over about 15MPH (20KMH) and throw this fault. I thought it strange that it didn't do it as soon as you start the car but it must test or reference the module as soon as you are over that speed.

Part Number for my car isn't model specific as you can see: 000 542 65 18 made by Bosch. It is located under the boot floor just behind the rear seats in the S202 Wagon. You need a T30 Torx to remove the two lashing points directly behind the seat and then remove that piece of carpeted trim to reveal the sensor. It's held down by 3 10mm nuts. Hope this helps someone out in the future.

Richard
IMG-5244.jpg

Thanks for completing the thread! Fwiw anyone seeking the same item in a late w208 cabrio, you’ll find it behind the big plate in the boot, next to the roof pump unit.

As I get cross when people don't update their threads to say what the fault was, I have to post my resolution here :)

This was actually the sensor at fault, I was sure it was going to be wiring but @RogerSausage suggested that the sensor had "had a wobble" and it got me thinking that I could well be wrong; surely if my diagnostic could tell me it had a short to ground it would be wiring but equally it said it could be open circuit, well it can't be both can it?

I found a secondhand sensor on eBay for £9.99 including delivery, removed from an A Class apparently but has the same part number so I ordered it. It arrived this afternoon and 20 minutes later it was fitted, test driven and fault codes no longer present. RESULT!

On the off chance anyone else is trying to diagnose the same issue, the BAS and ESP (I think) lights, the two amber ones on the left of the cluster would come on as soon as the car went over about 15MPH (20KMH) and throw this fault. I thought it strange that it didn't do it as soon as you start the car but it must test or reference the module as soon as you are over that speed.

Part Number for my car isn't model specific as you can see: 000 542 65 18 made by Bosch. It is located under the boot floor just behind the rear seats in the S202 Wagon. You need a T30 Torx to remove the two lashing points directly behind the seat and then remove that piece of carpeted trim to reveal the sensor. It's held down by 3 10mm nuts. Hope this helps someone out in the future.

Richard
IMG-5244.jpg
Nice one, glad you got sorted 👍🏼

Spoke too soon. Two days of euphoria and the fault is back. Exactly the same circumstances too. Bugger. Out with the multimeter a bit later I think.

OK, embarrassing admission time. This was entirely my doing and I have to own it.

So I took the lot out again and again found no issue, went for a drive and again all is well. So what on earth is going on? There are no witness marks on the wires, nothing is damaged and it all works until I put the trim back in...

Think about it man for goodness sake, what is different. The only thing I have done is fit an amplifier and a small subwoofer... with a massive magnet on the back of it... hold tight, I've got an idea...

The sensor is roughly under the green icon here:
Whats-App-Image-2022-06-11-at-4-33-30-PM.jpg

I'm amazed that the magnet on the speaker could affect it from that distance but I turned the box round and the problem is resolved. I felt like an absolute idiot but I'm glad it was a simple fix.

OK, embarrassing admission time. This was entirely my doing and I have to own it.

So I took the lot out again and again found no issue, went for a drive and again all is well. So what on earth is going on? There are no witness marks on the wires, nothing is damaged and it all works until I put the trim back in...

Think about it man for goodness sake, what is different. The only thing I have done is fit an amplifier and a small subwoofer... with a massive magnet on the back of it... hold tight, I've got an idea...

The sensor is roughly under the green icon here:
Whats-App-Image-2022-06-11-at-4-33-30-PM.jpg

I'm amazed that the magnet on the speaker could affect it from that distance but I turned the box round and the problem is resolved. I felt like an absolute idiot but I'm glad it was a simple fix.
Well diagnosed buddy , good thought process .

That made good reading, glad the issue is resolved ! It looks like the yaw sensor is "plug and play" ? Reason I ask is because I want to swap mine for a replacement, and then the yaw rate sensor. I have an annoying "click" on my R129 when the car goes over a bump. It comes from the seatbelt reel momentarily losing power. I replaced the fuse with an ammeter and coinciding with the click came a momentary loss of current from 3.8A to nil and back again. It's not the roof controller, so next up are the above sensors. Plug and play would suit me fine !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom