• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S205 C63 vs C63s differences

Rich764089

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63 AMG S212 5.5, W221 S500, W220 S600, GBS Zero, Defender Wolf 110, Audi A6 BiTdi, Octavia vRS
Hi. Please forgive the stupid question - I've done some searching, but good to get clarity from the knowledgeable folk here. I'm looking at a pre-FL 205 C63s. What are the *visual* differences (internal or external) between the standard and "S" versions please? Obviously there's the badge on the back! But the wheels could be either, right? What else?

Am I right that the "S" was a £6k premium for the 205? What's a realistic like-for-like difference now - £3-4k?

And out of interest, I does it say "S" on the V5?

Hi. Please forgive the stupid question - I've done some searching, but good to get clarity from the knowledgeable folk here. I'm looking at a pre-FL 205 C63s. What are the *visual* differences (internal or external) between the standard and "S" versions please? Obviously there's the badge on the back! But the wheels could be either, right? What else?

Am I right that the "S" was a £6k premium for the 205? What's a realistic like-for-like difference now - £3-4k?
Visual differences aside from the badge are either red or gold brake callipers (steel vs. ceramic) and also bigger diameter brakes for the S. Lots of S spec cars came with the sports seats, but you could option them out (I love them but they are personal preference).

I can't think of anything else that came solely on the S to mark it out as any different from the regular model (although i'm sure there will be some - other owners may want to correct me there!).

To answer your other question, yes it does show as a C63S on the V5.

Any other questions, just ask.

Visual differences aside from the badge are either red or gold brake callipers (steel vs. ceramic) and also bigger diameter brakes for the S. Lots of S spec cars came with the sports seats, but you could option them out (I love them but they are personal preference).

I can't think of anything else that came solely on the S to mark it out as any different from the regular model (although i'm sure there will be some - other owners may want to correct me there!).

To answer your other question, yes it does show as a C63S on the V5.

Any other questions, just ask.

Thanks, very helpful! Interestingly one I was looking at has grey calipers (steel discs), no sports seats, and appears as a normal C63 on an HPI check. So I'm suspicious someone may just have stuck an "s" badge on this one!

Is there a reliable site that will tell me the difference based on reg/VIN?

Thanks, very helpful! Interestingly one I was looking at has grey calipers (steel discs), no sports seats, and appears as a normal C63 on an HPI check. So I'm suspicious someone may just have stuck an "s" badge on this one!

Is there a reliable site that will tell me the difference based on reg/VIN?
Definitely sounds like a non-S car with the silver callipers - i'd be inclined to agree with the HPI check.

A VIN lookup will show the car as an S - with the following options (there are more but these are some of the main ones):

466 Active engine mount
467 Electronic LSD
M014 'Increased Engine Performance'

Thanks again - unfortunately the "HPI" check I did doesn't show the options.....

Thanks again - unfortunately the "HPI" check I did doesn't show the options.....
One thing you need to make sure is there (if noise is important to you) is this option: U78 Switchable exhaust system.

Be aware that that option is NOT present on all S models, a trap I very nearly fell into.

Good point! And that "suspect" car doesn't have it....

Definitely sounds like a non-S car with the silver callipers - i'd be inclined to agree with the HPI check.

A VIN lookup will show the car as an S - with the following options (there are more but these are some of the main ones):

466 Active engine mount
467 Electronic LSD
M014 'Increased Engine Performance'

VIN decoder shows none of these options - so looks like it's definitely a non-S with a £20 badge on the back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom