• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S212 tailgate trim removal?

ChrisHGTV

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E250 Avantgarde Estate, Alfa GTV V6, Vespa, Ducati, many bicycles...
Dear learned collective!

Ive found a source of another possible rattle - the drivers side of the light grey trim of the tailgate. (As in image below) This side is definitely a bit loose. Does anyone know how to remove it though? I’m assuming it just pushes on with some retailing lugs?
DADC4181-BB30-41C4-84A8-FC1E8159FCE0.jpeg

Hi - did you work out how to remove this trim? I am looking to remove mine to help install rear dash-cam wiring (through the rubber gaiter to behind the headliner). Like you, I assume its just a load of push clips, so just pulls off, but I'm basing that hunch on my previous BMW; I'd rather have some Mercedes experience to draw on :)

Hi - did you work out how to remove this trim? I am looking to remove mine to help install rear dash-cam wiring (through the rubber gaiter to behind the headliner). Like you, I assume its just a load of push clips, so just pulls off, but I'm basing that hunch on my previous BMW; I'd rather have some Mercedes experience to draw on :)
I did yes, it’s actually quite easy. You first have to remove the plastic covers on both handles by prying up with a small screwdriver. The part that comes off is the part of the handle that ends up almost horizontal when the tailgate is open if that makes sense. There then 4 bolts and that plastic bottom piece comes off. Youll need to unplug the light and switch connectors. I’d unplug the switch first - I accidentally pressed it which caused all kinds of mayhem! Once the bottom plastic part is off the carpet section is just held on with clips so you have to pull it downwards to release. The plastic piece at the other side of the carpet section is all part of the same piece (The plastic section that also covers where the rear wiper gubbins is). The remaining plastic section next to the window is next. There’s a particular order you have to follow. First press in the bottom of the upright section - so inwards towards the centre of the window. I had to give it a bit of a thump. Start at the end just next to where the gas strut fits to the tailgate. There’s one push clip at the bottom there, then one further along nearer where it bends round to the top of the window. Do the same with the opposite side and you’ll see the remaining clips are along the top of the window. You can pull these towards you. You have to refit this part in the same order or you could break the clips. It'll be clear when you take it off. On mine I found that last plastic piece that’s like a U shape was a bit loose and rattled so I added some thin cushioned tape (actually number plate tape) where the clips slide in to take up any slack. It’s quite straightforward, just make sure you uncoil the sides of that last plastic piece before you try to remove the clips at the top of the window. And watch the tailgate switch - I inadvertently hit it twice! Hope that helps.

I did yes, it’s actually quite easy.
Thats fab.thanks. So basically start with the handles at the bottom and work up. Mostly clips except the bolts behind the covers holding the handles. And unplug the electrics! Got it :)

Thats fab.thanks. So basically start with the handles at the bottom and work up. Mostly clips except the bolts behind the covers holding the handles. And unplug the electrics! Got it :)
Ha ha just realised above where I say uncoil I mean undo! Predictive text!

How did you get the rubber cable gators off, been pulling and prodding but they won't let go. I'm the same trying to wire for rear dash cam. Cheers

I did yes, it’s actually quite easy. You first have to remove the plastic covers on both handles by prying up with a small screwdriver. The part that comes off is the part of the handle that ends up almost horizontal when the tailgate is open if that makes sense. There then 4 bolts and that plastic bottom piece comes off. Youll need to unplug the light and switch connectors. I’d unplug the switch first - I accidentally pressed it which caused all kinds of mayhem! Once the bottom plastic part is off the carpet section is just held on with clips so you have to pull it downwards to release. The plastic piece at the other side of the carpet section is all part of the same piece (The plastic section that also covers where the rear wiper gubbins is). The remaining plastic section next to the window is next. There’s a particular order you have to follow. First press in the bottom of the upright section - so inwards towards the centre of the window. I had to give it a bit of a thump. Start at the end just next to where the gas strut fits to the tailgate. There’s one push clip at the bottom there, then one further along nearer where it bends round to the top of the window. Do the same with the opposite side and you’ll see the remaining clips are along the top of the window. You can pull these towards you. You have to refit this part in the same order or you could break the clips. It'll be clear when you take it off. On mine I found that last plastic piece that’s like a U shape was a bit loose and rattled so I added some thin cushioned tape (actually number plate tape) where the clips slide in to take up any slack. It’s quite straightforward, just make sure you uncoil the sides of that last plastic piece before you try to remove the clips at the top of the window. And watch the tailgate switch - I inadvertently hit it twice! Hope that helps.
Seems crazy you basically have to strip the entire tailgate just to take the grey trim off 😮‍💨

How did you get the rubber cable gators off, been pulling and prodding but they won't let go. I'm the same trying to wire for rear dash cam. Cheers

They aren't just plain ol' rubber, they have a plastic shell inside, with clips on all four sides - I managed to lever it off with brute force, but now I can see the construction, a plastic trim removal tool pushed in at one end and one in the middle of the side to release the clips, then twist and it'll pop off easily. A wide bladed screwdriver used carefully will also work just as well.

20231016_113517.jpeg

They aren't just plain ol' rubber, they have a plastic shell inside, with clips on all four sides - I managed to lever it off with brute force, but now I can see the construction, a plastic trim removal tool pushed in at one end and one in the middle of the side to release the clips, then twist and it'll pop off easily. A wide bladed screwdriver used carefully will also work just as well.

View attachment 148224
Yeah that's what I did in the end pal all sorted now. Had an astra estate before this and never had to strip the tailgate on that to this degree 😂 thanks for getting back to me though bud 👍🏻

Attachments

• signal-2023-10-15-10-30-40-039.jpg
    signal-2023-10-15-10-30-40-039.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom