SAAB heading for the scrapyard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
S
Have you owned one and had poor experiences or are you simply regurgitating internet nonsense?

Had the use of Saabs, friend was a stealer and he didn't rate the 93/95 either.

I had a 9-5 2.3LPT auto. Ran it for two years. One of if not the most comfortable cruising cars I had owned. Far more comfortable than the W210 it replaced (both company cars).
W210 no faults or problems. Saab ate ecu's for breakfast. Resell got raped trading in the Saab. So someone got a steal. But for some mad reason I really liked the Saab.

Lets look at the car I use as a daily driver:-

09/07 "57" Saab 9-3 1.9tdi (150) sportwagon vector sport anniversary with every factory option inlc sat nav.

Contract Hire 3+35 @ £309.00 + vat pm - based on 25,000 miles per annum. non maintained.

As I was simply expecting to hand this back at the end of the deal, the fall in residual values could be a huge bonus for me.

I've actually not done anywhere near the 25K per annum as our business changed, the car is currently on 43,000 miles.

I figure if it's £5,000 or less I have to buy it. There's a fair chance it could be less than that.

I actually like the car, which surprised me. My only criticism is the Sat Nav is not at all user friendly, but you get used to it.

Last edited:
Lets look at the car I use as a daily driver:-

09/07 "57" Saab 9-3 1.9tdi (150) sportwagon vector sport anniversary with every factory option inlc sat nav.

Contract Hire 3+35 @ £309.00 + vat pm - based on 25,000 miles per annum. non maintained.

As I was simply expecting to hand this back at the end of the deal, the fall in residual values could be a huge bonus for me.

I've actually not done anywhere near the 25K per annum as our business changed, the car is currently on 43,000 miles.

I figure if it's £5,000 or less I have to buy it. There's a fair chance it could be less than that.

I actually like the car, which surprised me. My only criticism is the Sat Nav is not at all user friendly, but you get used to it.

You tell them at the end of the contract it's only done say 50k by then and that's how they will price it. Not as a 75k that you've been paying for. If you went over your contract mileage, say 90k and told them they would price it at 75k and charge you 15k excess! Who's the contract hire company?

I felt I had to add my positive experiences to the generally negative view on Saabs.

I've been running a 93 Convertible since late '08 when I bought it as a pre-reg for a LOT less than the £30K retail!

In the year and a bit I've had it I've found it a very good, well built, comfortable drophead that is simply wonderful with the roof down and very snug and coupe like with the roof up. The TTiD engine is excellent, very torguey and economic.

Only problem I had was some trim peeling off the dash which was replaced under warranty and hasn't happened again with the new panel.

Of course, the value issue now is a problem as I was planning on changing after 2 years (I normally do) but with the miserable offers I've had for it, I may just keep it (unless Saab ARE bought...) as a run-about (my wife loves it so maybe I'll give it to her..). So, my experience has been good and if Saab survive I might look at another in the future.

You tell them at the end of the contract it's only done say 50k by then and that's how they will price it. Not as a 75k that you've been paying for. If you went over your contract mileage, say 90k and told them they would price it at 75k and charge you 15k excess! Who's the contract hire company?

Lease from Saab directly.

Up till a year ago I had a Saab 9-5 Aero saloon. Comfortable fast and frugal for a 2.3 turbo! Handling a bit suspect but a lot better than the 9-3 I used to have.

neither cars had any problems - 100% reliable.

and will their still be main dealers to honor the warranty or does this mean nipping to the local Vauxhall dealer.

Having tried the local dealer, I would stick with David Morris at Westwoodside.
a far better service.

My local Saab dealer say they will still do service and warranty work, whatever the outcome of the Saab/GM fiasco. Luckily, they are Volvo and Vauxhall service dealers too. What is sad to see though is their ever dwindling Saab stock. There are now no new ones in the showroom and just a handful of used outside. When I bought mine, you couldn't move for the Saab stock everywhere!

Having tried the local dealer, I would stick with David Morris at Westwoodside.
a far better service.

But he is more expensive certainly than the BMW dealer that I used for my previous car. It is tempting though as he is less than 2 minutes drive for me.

And for warrenty repairs the consumer does not always get the choice...

I notice they are advertising Saabs heavily at the moment (radio and newspapers).

I notice they are advertising Saabs heavily at the moment (radio and newspapers).

That must be clearing old stock as they are no longer producing vehicles.

Occasionally I'll see a 54 or 05 plate Rover and think, muppet.

Had our eyes on a 4 seater soft top in 3-4 months time.
Options include Audi A4, Saab 9-3, BMW, VW Eos & Volvo C70
Will the demise of Saab mean there are bargains to be had?
I would hope the muppet catagory described above wouldn't necessarily apply in the case of Saab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom