• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Sanity check: 3SDM 0.06 rims with Bridgestone Potenza Sport on CLS55?

Simonty

Car
CLS55 AMG
Hello everyone. I've owned a CLS55 for a couple of years now and, when it works, I really enjoy driving it and looking at it.

I've seen a few CLS 55s kicking around with larger wheels and it tends to look amazing. But I am aware that going larger on the alloys could make the ride firm and jarring. For this reason I'm looking at 19" (up from the stock 18"). Trouble is whilst I've found a wheel I feel looks fantastic, if a little "Euro", it is very hard to visualise it on the car.

I need to change the rear tyres and the original wheels are starting to get close to wanting a refurb so it seems like the time to harmonise all the tyres and freshen up the look at the same time.

Wheels of interest:

Tyres of interest:

The package costs £1,946 but I may sell the old wheels to help with that.

I'm really just pleading for opinions!!! A sanity check. Many thanks :-)

Simon

Aftermarket alloys can look a bit naff in general, have you looked at 19s that were available from the factory when it was new?

Anything newly available is out of my price range but I have seen some sets on Ebay, one or two of which have some appeal. Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: MeQ
Anything newly available is out of my price range but I have seen some sets on Ebay, one or two of which have some appeal. Thanks for the feedback.

Something already refurbed or something requiring refurb will help keep the price down. Have a look at cars being broken for parts and see if any have a full set of wheels available.

Thanks ever so much. I did also come across this website. It's the wrong era CLS so does take a little mental squinting to make any sense of it.

Other option is to just change my tyres and be stupid elsewhere, such as by putting on a 77mm SC pulley kit or getting some headers imported....

With the state of the roads ATM i would look at a set of 13`s with 150 profile tyres.

For the record i replaced the 18`s on the CLS with 19`s and within 5 mins of drive the difference was evident and not in a good way.

K

Might be worth buying 5 if you move to 19’s , that way you have a spare for the pothole cracks .

With the state of the roads ATM i would look at a set of 13`s with 150 profile tyres.

For the record i replaced the 18`s on the CLS with 19`s and within 5 mins of drive the difference was evident and not in a good way.

K
The 19's on my 3 Series are definitely going when I wear out the crappy Flintstone run flats.
I'd go down to 17's if I could, but they won't fit over the front calipers, so it'll be 18s on proper tyres.

The 19's on my 3 Series are definitely going when I wear out the crappy Flintstone run flats.
I'd go down to 17's if I could, but they won't fit over the front calipers, so it'll be 18s on proper tyres.

The EQE running on 20s is a far better ride than the previous 2017 c-class on 18s 🤷🏻‍♂️

The 218 CLS SB rides perfectly well on 19s. Not crashy, but fairly firm, but as it's an AMG that's to be expected. It's not as good as an S211 Elegance with airmatic, but not as much as a barge either.

Hello everyone. I've owned a CLS55 for a couple of years now and, when it works, I really enjoy driving it and looking at it.

I've seen a few CLS 55s kicking around with larger wheels and it tends to look amazing. But I am aware that going larger on the alloys could make the ride firm and jarring. For this reason I'm looking at 19" (up from the stock 18"). Trouble is whilst I've found a wheel I feel looks fantastic, if a little "Euro", it is very hard to visualise it on the car.

I need to change the rear tyres and the original wheels are starting to get close to wanting a refurb so it seems like the time to harmonise all the tyres and freshen up the look at the same time.

Wheels of interest:

Tyres of interest:

The package costs £1,946 but I may sell the old wheels to help with that.

I'm really just pleading for opinions!!! A sanity check. Many thanks :)

Simon
Just personal taste....but those wheels look really dated to me.....like 1990s dated. Something more modern would bring the car to life. Most Mercs looks great with 507 style alloys. Genuine ones are stupid money....lots of near identical reps out there though.

Real (house remortgage forms just out of shot!!!).

1711974690273.png

Not real! (Affordable)

1711975048850.png

I don't like those at all, on any car; the OP's original suggestion looks much better.

Thats the issue I guess....its all down to personal taste and if the OP likes them that's all that matters.

1711978305551.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom