Saw this beauty today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I saw this Rolls-Royce Merlin engine earlier today.

Brilliant! I spent more time with the engine than I did with my client.

At 1200hp and supercharged, it got my mind racing as to whether it would fit in my Vito. :cool:

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce012.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce011.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce013.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce014.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce017.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce018.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce028.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce035.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce037.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce040.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce046.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce047.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce050.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce051.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce054.jpg

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce016.jpg

Don't make them like that any more I bet it will out last modern stuff

Beautiful to look at and a great noise I would say

14thNovember2012RollsRoyce016.jpg

Hmm ... the Battle of Britain was in 1940! And the picture shows a much later version of the Spitfire (I think a Mk XVI, which was made from 1944 onwards).

But great engine, and great aeroplane.

They don't make engines like that anymore, mores the pity.

Beautiful!

At 1200hp and supercharged, it got my mind racing as to whether it would fit in my Vito. :cool:

Well, the tank variant- the Meteor, which had no supercharger- could take the 28 ton Cromwell beyond 40mph, more than the suspension could handle, so had to be governed to a mere 540bhp.

But modding was rife, with no consideration for residual value of government property. Though in mitigation it did reduce the chance of a write-off due to the ingress of Jerry 88mm AP rounds.

Last edited:
Well, the tank variant- the Meteor, which had no supercharger- could take the 28 ton Cromwell beyond 40mph, more than the suspension could handle, so had to be governed to a mere 540bhp.

A certain madman has a meteor fitted in a rover sd1 body shell, although it is only the outer body that is standard rover. Read the updates in ppc magazine.:cool:

Duxford earlier this year, Spitfires, Merlins and Motors do - 2 Merlin engines on test stands / trailers. First one was started, then the other - the sound of 2 Merlin engines was awesome. One had a 3 blade prop, the other a 4 blade. Loads of people just stood and listened for ages (including me!!)

Nursing a semi here.......

The Merlin engine was restored by the Oliver Merlin apprentice club, which sees older workers mentor young people to share the wonder of pistons.
“We give them the new skills alongside the practical old skills,” Mr Oliver says. The company also funds an after-school engineering club at a local primary school.
Few youngsters have any concept of engineering or know anybody who works in the sector, he says.

The above was taken from THIS article in the Financial Times. A sometimes boastful Mr Oliver might not be everyone's cup of tea, but there's a lot of sense spoken in the interview.

My Allard has Stromberg carburettors too!

Time to buy the flying helmet, methinks..

Thanks for sharing - truly a great piece of engineering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom