Seen today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
I didn’t get a photo because I was driving.
On the road from Volos to Parga in Greece on Germán plates, the most enormous BMW X7. Big road presence and a nice looking car.

Range Rovers, Q7s and Cayennes are good looking cars.

I beg to differ! First, they are invariably bigger than the parking spaces in supermarkets, so if you're unlucky enough to get one parked next to you (after you've carefully parked in an open area as far as poss from the store entrance) chances are you'll have parking dings on your doors. Secondly, with a primary school entrance 50 yards below our garage driveway, we get them "parked" (AKA abandoned) in the roadway as the yummie mummies can't park to save their lives, let alone be bothered to park more than 20 yards from the school entrance. and when they park across my driveway and I am foolish enough to remonstrate gently and politely, the foul mouth abuse I receive - often with the their and other sprogs within hearing distance - is beyond belief.

Reactions: 219
I beg to differ! First, they are invariably bigger than the parking spaces in supermarkets, so if you're unlucky enough to get one parked next to you (after you've carefully parked in an open area as far as poss from the store entrance) chances are you'll have parking dings on your doors. Secondly, with a primary school entrance 50 yards below our garage driveway, we get them "parked" (AKA abandoned) in the roadway as the yummie mummies can't park to save their lives, let alone be bothered to park more than 20 yards from the school entrance. and when they park across my driveway and I am foolish enough to remonstrate gently and politely, the foul mouth abuse I receive - often with the their and other sprogs within hearing distance - is beyond belief.
A strip of 1/2” ply with 1” nails hammered through and placed across your drive might persuade them otherwise ...

Mercedes make large cars too you know :D

The other week VW Golf drivers were getting stick on the forum for the ‘R’ models and now the BMW X7 (which can’t have been out long enough for anyone to have had a negative encounter with!) are the new evil...:doh:

It’s a bit of a lightweight, and smaller against MBs offering...:)

Reactions: Abb
Born in the USA!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mercedes make large cars too you know :D

The other week VW Golf drivers were getting stick on the forum for the ‘R’ models and now the BMW X7 (which can’t have been out long enough for anyone to have had a negative encounter with!) are the new evil...:doh:

It’s a bit of a lightweight, and smaller against MBs offering...:)

It is those enormous GL things that cause the most offence to me! If they are not big enough to be seen from space, MB decided to put some ludicrously big petrol V8 engines in some of them too, so they can be heard coming from another continent! Just ridiculous and completely unnecessary! ;):D

Who on earth would contemplate buying one!

It is those enormous GL things that cause the most offence to me! If they are not big enough to be seen from space, MB decided to put some ludicrously big petrol V8 engines in some of them too, so they can be heard coming from another continent! Just ridiculous and completely unnecessary! ;):D

Who on earth would contemplate buying one!

Americans - that's the primary market.

While many people buy such cars for their practicality, towing ability, carrying capacity , ground clearance for speed bump infested streets, perceived big car safety in the urban jungle etc :) ---- and I was going to add off road capability- but that's pushing it a bit :rolleyes: For some there's also a curious "acceptable face of ostentation" vibe associated with this type of vehicle. Where prospective buyers in the past might have veered away from the ostentatious show of wealth a large limousine be it Bentley Rolls Maybach or Phaeton might have conveyed, the appeal of the "utilitarian image" of a very expensive large 4x4 seemed to be it afforded sufficient social camouflage of that intention. [without hiding it all together of course as that would defeat the purpose];)

DD9-FF62-D-A221-4174-AA72-D2-B8477-E48-E7.jpg

Nice! lol

bugs-bunny-cartoon-clip-art-bugs-bunny.jpg

I'm not a fan of SUVs at all, to me it's just another US influence that manufacturers are exploiting. They're generally a lot heavier than 'normal' sized cars, meaning more wear on the road, you can't see past them which often takes away your ability to drive pro-actively, they're especially annoying when parked near corners blocking any view into a junction. Then there's the additional issue that a lot of people that drive them can't get to grips with their size and as a result drive and park them badly. If they're bought for their actual abilities as previously mentioned then each to their own, but buying a huge thing like an X7 just as a show of wealth or a feeling of superiority, which quite often means they're driven with that kind of attitude, makes me hate them. Unless you're towing a caravan or similar or you live on a farm or you need the load capacity on a regular basis, essentially a good reason for owning one, then I don't understand why a decent sized estate won't do the job for you. Rant over ;)

I'm not a fan of SUVs at all, to me it's just another US influence that manufacturers are exploiting. They're generally a lot heavier than 'normal' sized cars, meaning more wear on the road, you can't see past them which often takes away your ability to drive pro-actively, they're especially annoying when parked near corners blocking any view into a junction. Then there's the additional issue that a lot of people that drive them can't get to grips with their size and as a result drive and park them badly. If they're bought for their actual abilities as previously mentioned then each to their own, but buying a huge thing like an X7 just as a show of wealth or a feeling of superiority, which quite often means they're driven with that kind of attitude, makes me hate them. Unless you're towing a caravan or similar or you live on a farm or you need the load capacity on a regular basis, essentially a good reason for owning one, then I don't understand why a decent sized estate won't do the job for you. Rant over ;)
I’m not sure an X7 would be considered to be a show of wealth, any more than a BMW 5/7 Series would be. Don’t get me wrong they’re a relatively expensive car, but for me at least the statement it makes is more “family & middle class” than “superiority & wealth”.

PS X5 3.0d MSport can be had for £599 deposit and £599 per month at the moment, from a BMW main dealer. Incredible value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom