W164 ML63 - How Mad Would I Be...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
PS the 0-60 time you found is wrong, mine will do 0-60 in 4.6 seconds all day long.
Hmm...doubtful......the factory time is 5 second dead.......4.6 is only 1/10th slower than a 204 C63......in something that weighs over half a ton more with the aerodynamics of an aircraft hanger!!!:(

Hmm...doubtful......the factory time is 5 second dead.......4.6 is only 1/10th slower than a 204 C63......in something that weighs over half a ton more with the aerodynamics of an aircraft hanger!!!:(
They’re also more powerful than a standard C63 and have four wheel drive :thumb:

Aero won’t be relevant on the 0-62mph dash really.

They also may have slightly different gear ratios.

Either way, I think you could use the old Rolls-Royce answer, in the days when they did not quote bhp figures, when asked how much power their engines had: "Sufficient".

I would have expected a W204 C 63 to be quicker accelerating too, but it’s not based upon my experience.

IMO....the official difference of 0.5 seconds slower (5.0 instead of 4.5) is probably close to the truth in ideal circumstances. If anything makers lie about there 0 to 60....claiming them to be quicker than possible.....not slower. 0 to 60 wont be affect much by aero.....but the extra half ton will have a big effect.

The only way the old 911 (964) turbo could get close to the claimed 0 to 60 was by holding it on the redline .....then just sliding your foot sideways off the clutch. Not nice to witness...but I saw one of Porsches test drivers do just that at Goodwood in about 1991 (?)!! He told me quietly that quite a few driveshafts had met their maker that way during testing!!!

If it's at all a worthy comparison, my 1.75ton w211 e63 would do a 4.3 to 4.5sec 0 to 60 on the drag race app consistently without launch control and it's rwd in cold weather. Mind you it was on mps4 tyres which are very nice grippy tyres

1000047520.jpg
I see no reason why you can't get a 4.6 out of an ML63 given it will grip even better

That 6.2 engine is special, taking it to the 7k red line is an event to cherish every time

If it's at all a worthy comparison, my 1.75ton w211 e63 would do a 4.3 to 4.5sec 0 to 60 on the drag race app consistently without launch control and it's rwd in cold weather. Mind you it was on mps4 tyres which are very nice grippy tyres

I see no reason why you can't get a 4.6 out of an ML63 given it will grip even better

That 6.2 engine is special, taking it to the 7k red line is an event to cherish every time

I'm not keen on high-revving engines, but as the revs pass 2K it's already making 360 lb.ft/500 nm, so it won't be necessary to rev the nuts off it to make good progress.

I've spoken to the indie where the maintenance has been done for the previous (eight years) owner, and was told he was a long-term customer with several Mercedes, and very particular; if it needed doing, it was done. Rear air bags, dampers, suspension arms, engine and gearbox mountings were mentioned as well as routine servicing. I reckon it's a good 'un.

And finally, I can swap in the later NTG2.5 COMAND, so I can play my music without faffing about. I've run out of reasons not to buy it, so (unless it's gone; fingers crossed...) I have to, really.

I'm not keen on high-revving engines, but as the revs pass 2K it's already making 360 lb.ft/500 nm, so it won't be necessary to rev the nuts off it to make good progress.

I've spoken to the indie where the maintenance has been done for the previous (eight years) owner, and was told he was a long-term customer with several Mercedes, and very particular; if it needed doing, it was done. Rear air bags, dampers, suspension arms, engine and gearbox mountings were mentioned as well as routine servicing. I reckon it's a good 'un.

And finally, I can swap in the later NTG2.5 COMAND, so I can play my music without faffing about. I've run out of reasons not to buy it, so (unless it's gone; fingers crossed...) I have to, really.
Chop chop slim.

Thank me with a decent bottle of single malt.

Decision made 👍🏻

I just sold my e63 so I'm on the market for something new myself. I like them high revving but also like intact headbolts. I wonder how much it costs to replace them these days 🤔
I've never tried a 113k yet or v12 so they're my preference followed by a 6.2 from AMG or a v10 m6 or maserati 4.2 or 4.7 NA ... let the hunt begin ...

Last edited:

As Mrs Spiky is oft heard telling me.....JFDI :)

I like them high revving but also like intact headbolts. I wonder how much it costs to replace them these days 🤔.
I've never tried a 113k yet or v12 so they're my preference followed by a 6.2 from AMG or a v10 m6 or maserati 4.2 or 4.7 NA ... let the hunt begin ...

Given that it has 107K miles on it, I'd hope the headbolts have either been sorted long since, or have never needed to be.

The 113K is my favourite Mercedes engine, bar none, but it's not high-revving; sledgehammer torque from nowhere is its forte. The only reason the 113K E-class did not have the seven-speed gearbox from the start was because the 'box couldn't handle the torque, so it kept the old five-speed, which was (relatively) slow-shifting. It was actually a touch quicker to 60 than the original 156, which did have the seven-speed, and it would have been even more so if it had had the seven-speed. Also, unlike the 156 and 157, it was virtually bombproof as well.

That conversation with the indie has to be worth it's weight in gold ahead of viewing it

No guarantees of course on this, but that could be worth the best part of the value of the car (compared to buying 'a dog')

Would you / will you keep it Q car spec or get the itch to just nudge it's persona into view.....

I am also tempted to purchase it today but i dont really require one, that said i can use it daily without paying the ulez fee unlike my 202s .................

e55 you really should leave a deposit on it to remove others temptation slim.

That conversation with the indie has to be worth it's weight in gold ahead of viewing it

No guarantees of course on this, but that could be worth the best part of the value of the car (compared to buying 'a dog')

Would you / will you keep it Q car spec or get the itch to just nudge it's persona into view.....

I don't much care for heavily-tinted windows; I prefer the blue Avantgarde tinted glass. Just another straw in the wind, but they're all blowing in the same direction. I'm not that keen on black cars, tbh, but I suppose I could look at getting it wrapped in something like Tanzanite, then it would be perfect for my taste; subtly classy, not in-your-face... The biggest factor was that chat with the indie, though.

Anyway, I bowed to the inevitable; deposit paid.

Q-car? I'll take the 6.3 AMG badges off the front wings, I think, but leave it stock apart from that. Taking the badges off the tailgate would be a bit pointless; those exhaust tips are about as stealthy as a Challenger II in a Tesco car park...

A-car? I'll take the 6.3 AMG badges off the front wings, I think, but leave it stock apart from that. Taking the badges off the tailgate would be a bit pointless; those exhaust tips are about as stealthy as a Challenger II in a Tesco car park...
Good news, congratulations? Have you viewed it yet?

If people will know what it is from the back then they know what it is from the side - just leave them on I reckon 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom