• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

"Senna"

Khamen

Car
C63 AMG Coupe
Finally got the chance to see this over the weekend, and I have to say what a brilliant piece of film-making (although you could argue that with such rich source material it would be hard to make a turkey).

Although the spectre of his inevitable fate hung over the entire film it provided a powerful insight into the life of a man of overbearing focus, drive and ambition. Not to mention a little matter of supreme skill behind the wheel.

Nobody wants to see things in sport such as eventually happened to Senna and Roland Ratzenberger at Imola, but in an age of seemingly grey, technical drivers it really brought home to me how much we miss such personalities in F1.

Best F1 driver ever? I don't think we can ever say for sure, but a fantastic tribute to one of the all time greats.

K

I went to see it 3 times when it came out at the cinema, I thought it was a really moving film. Those cars looked so difficult to drive where as todays F1 cars and drivers don't look exciting to watch at all.

Great film/documentary. I was suprised how we've got used to such a sanitised current F1 format after seeing how exposed etc those chaps were so relatively recently.
Edd

Even my Partner sat and watched it. He was a master and yes those F1 cars were beasts, such a shame he went too early .

Ant-toe-knee said:
Even my Partner sat and watched it. He was a master and yes those F1 cars were beasts, such a shame he went too early .

sorry are you talking about your partner or Senna? ;-)

Very good film, and definitely rewatchable.

I will be honest, I shed a year at the crash scene footage - even though you know what is coming for about an hour.

S

She'll be putty in my hands ;)

I didn't cry for an hour, I meant that I shed a tear and you know what is going to happen for about the first hour of the film! I am not that soft!

Last edited:
In the footage of the final driving moments, he does seem to input left steer with no result, then seems drop his arm/head further left as if to try and get more steering, or is it just me??

I'd seen a documentary on this before and they seemed to think that due to the car running a few mm too low and an untimely bump that the car ground out to a point that it wouldn't alter course. On a different note its good to have kimmi raikonnen back in f1, he's one of those characters that racing needs!

I saw the film some time ago, and it was my wife who asked me if I wanted to see it at the cinema!:eek:
The whole thing is done brilliantly with out any narration, and the clips are edited so well that there is no need for any commentary even if you are not a racing fan.
I was privileged to be the first person ever to strap Senna in an F3 car when he came to test for Eddie Jordan racing in 1982. He was, of course, quick but within 10 laps had made the car faster than it had ever been around Silverstone before. The following year he was to become the opposition as I ran Brundle in the epic F3 battle of ’83. We lost out to Senna eventually at the final round and the rest, as they say, is history.
Martin Brundle and I had some recompense as we became World Sports car Champions together a few years later at Jaguar.:)
Oddly, another driver who featured in the film walked around the Monza circuit with me just a few months ago while we were both looking at the circuit with our respective young drivers. Martin Donnelly. We are indeed fortunate that some of the driver from this era survive to this day and I agree we need more characters like them in F1.:o

I watched this movie last night ans it was very good indeed. It really highlights some of the politics in the sport expecially during the Prost/Senna battles.

JM Baleste, the then (French) president of the FIA, appeared to be somewhat, errr, Partisan shall we say.

There is a little narration in the film, mostly what youd call links though, much of which is actually soundbites of the protagonists of the time.

I felt like I was watching a well crafted documentary rather then a movie.

I didn't realise how religious Senna was, which sometimes seemed to conflict with what he was required to do.

I'm glad I watched it.

Just watched senna what a amazing film up there with the all time greats and what a guy a true legend.rip.

Great documentary film one of the best. Another good one to watch in he same genera is the Jackie Stewart - fly Scot from the bbc. These guys were real hero's it' was brutal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom