Service today, it should have been so easy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
" service manager gives job sheet to workshop manager, workshop manager gives jobsheet and service task to one of the mechanics. and there in lies the problem." the problem being that they don't employ mechanics, only plugger inners :fail: :fail: :fail:

Problem with dealers now is you need to go past 3 people before you can speak to anyone with any common sense.
You hit the nail on the head with that statement. Common sense is long gone. Unless there is a written procedure or hand holding, nothing will be done. Not just in garages but all over. Its the famous last words when there is a f### up, whether its the courts, health service, police, not just them but all over. LESSONS LEARNT. No one takes responsibility.

Just for info we always do a walk around with move camera on the job tablet after reception .
Everything is recorded to the J/C--R/O.
Plus we look under the seats for firearms, especially loaded and cocked pistols' asking the customer to remove them for safe keeping
What is so difficult
Tuercas viejas

Problem with dealers now is you need to go past 3 people before you can speak to anyone with any common sense.
This sort of process is endemic in many businesses that are supposed to be providing a service. Most B to C financial services companies have done it for years, and even GP surgeries are increasingly following a similar model :wallbash:

The first contact the "customer" has with the organisation is generally with someone low-paid, possibly physically attractive (if it's a face-to-face environment), and with a knowledge base limited to following a basic process script that captures the customer's details and a superficial record of what the customer's requirements are. Anything more than a "standard" request from a customer and the organisation fails to qualify the need properly at that initial stage, meaning that time is wasted further down the line, costs escalate and the customer becomes frustrated.

Hargreaves-Lansdown is an interesting business that realised the pitfalls of this model and instead chose to employ intelligent, inquisitive, knowledgeable staff to engage in the first contact role who they paid a much higher salary commensurate with their skills and knowledge, and saw a significant increase in customer satisfaction, business volume and profitability. Not difficult to understand why, if - as that business did - you are prepared to pay more than lip service to the notion of customer satisfaction.

So car has gone in for its service, and me using the dealer network for the first time, I am sat here at MB brooklands, received the dreaded call from the technician, and after the visual checks, all is in order thankfully.

Front Brk/disk 5% worn, Rear Brk/disk 10% worn
Front tyres 6mm
Rear tyres 4mm
Adblue will be topped up.

I had already checked the brakes/disk, and measured all the tyres, so would have been shocked, if they had said any of the above needed replacing.

Got the video and visual check report.

So all is good so far, and happy with the service.

Now patiently waiting for the service to be completed.

Fingers crossed Benz, hope you've found a good one. Good luck. 😎

Just got my car back from Merparts (my local Indy) who found an error in the latest MB software update (2021_06) that produced faults in the steering, ABS and run flat indication systems.

After an email exchange with Stuttgart, someone with knowledge of R230 technology was found, the offending line of code was located and corrected. Thank god for the Mazzoni Brothers’ knowledge and experience. I shudder to think what our local main dealer would have done with an issue like this…😱

Attachments

• EAB50871-6ED0-462B-B0BB-E9CF2A88DFC7.jpeg
    EAB50871-6ED0-462B-B0BB-E9CF2A88DFC7.jpeg
    663.4 KB · Views: 23
Fingers crossed Benz, hope you've found a good one. Good luck. 😎
Just got back home, and have to say first impression was very good, they did what they had to do, no upselling whatsoever, no finding extra work, no damage to the car, which was one of the things I was worried about, told them not to wash the car, and they didn’t, emailed me the service sheet straight away, even before me collecting the keys, and left a key fob battery in the car.

Yes they did a job they were paid to do, but after all the negative stories I have read on forums, I was a touch apprehensive to be honest, but my first dealer service experience was positive.

And waiting was not a problem, as one can pass the time at the museum, and also watch the cars on track outside.

Thanks Markjay for the recommendation, I hope Mb Brooklands continue in this vein for my next 2 services.

Just for info we always do a walk around with move camera on the job tablet after reception .
Everything is recorded to the J/C--R/O.
Plus we look under the seats for firearms, especially loaded and cocked pistols' asking the customer to remove them for safe keeping
What is so difficult
Tuercas viejas
I respect the Americans right to fight me till my last dying breath for their bears to have 2 right arms.

This sort of process is endemic in many businesses that are supposed to be providing a service. Most B to C financial services companies have done it for years, and even GP surgeries are increasingly following a similar model :wallbash:

The first contact the "customer" has with the organisation is generally with someone low-paid, possibly physically attractive (if it's a face-to-face environment), and with a knowledge base limited to following a basic process script that captures the customer's details and a superficial record of what the customer's requirements are. Anything more than a "standard" request from a customer and the organisation fails to qualify the need properly at that initial stage, meaning that time is wasted further down the line, costs escalate and the customer becomes frustrated.

Hargreaves-Lansdown is an interesting business that realised the pitfalls of this model and instead chose to employ intelligent, inquisitive, knowledgeable staff to engage in the first contact role who they paid a much higher salary commensurate with their skills and knowledge, and saw a significant increase in customer satisfaction, business volume and profitability. Not difficult to understand why, if - as that business did - you are prepared to pay more than lip service to the notion of customer satisfaction.
Precisely my experience with HL too, I’m not a big customer but their level of customer care puts many to shame, it is possible but you need committed individuals at the head of the business to be brave and so many aren’t, they count the beans instead.

Just got back home, and have to say first impression was very good, they did what they had to do, no upselling whatsoever, no finding extra work, no damage to the car, which was one of the things I was worried about, told them not to wash the car, and they didn’t, emailed me the service sheet straight away, even before me collecting the keys, and left a key fob battery in the car.

Yes they did a job they were paid to do, but after all the negative stories I have read on forums, I was a touch apprehensive to be honest, but my first dealer service experience was positive.

And waiting was not a problem, as one can pass the time at the museum, and also watch the cars on track outside.

Thanks Markjay for the recommendation, I hope Mb Brooklands continue in this vein for my next 2 services.
Astonishing that you see the fact that they didn’t damage your car as worthy of mention. Illustrates the problem really, i.e. None of us are actually surprised anymore when they do!

but you need committed individuals at the head of the business to be brave and so many aren’t, they count the beans instead.
The irony is that HL's approach - which most bean counters would have baulked at ("How much for someone to answer the phone?") - has resulted in them having many more beans to count.

If people focussed more on value than on cost, we'd have many more successful businesses.

Astonishing that you see the fact that they didn’t damage your car as worthy of mention. Illustrates the problem really, i.e. None of us are actually surprised anymore when they do!
It’s probably reading too much stuff on forums, one becomes a touch paranoid😀

It is all about service,my local indy is more than fair,faults and services are done without bother,it is a family run garage his daughter mans the the phones books things in and is who you speak to when you turn up with your car.
I broke the arm of the ride height sensor on my S ,I was 6 miles from the indy,I dragged it there and saw the daughter she called her dad who was rammed out with work,my car was out on their forecourt,he took one look dragged a large trolly jack out got the rear of the car up went into the workshop came out with a big once only and fixed it and said I will order the part come back in two days and we will fit the new part,cost nothing to get me mobile.

Completely mirrors my one and only visit to an MB dealer for a recall, erm I mean "Technical Enhancement". Why it is necessary to run the gauntlet of 2 different receptionists before you get to a service advisor is beyond me.
When I go to my trusted indy for any work, I drop the keys at reception, confirm the work and my contact number and I'm away (although 9/10 times the boss will stop what he's doing to have a quick chat about life in general.)
To be fair to MB Brooklands, this is exactly what happened with me today, got asked my name, job sheet taken out, confirmed my number and email, handed over my keys, and off I went, approximately an hour later get a call from technician, confirms a visual check has been done, tells me disk/pads and tyre wear, and he tells me the report and video will be emailed shortly, and he will now continue with the service, 2 hours later get another call from technician to say the service has been completed, car will be parked at the front, and I should collect keys from reception in 10 minutes, and said service sheet and invoice (although i have service plan) will also be emailed shortly, so no need faffing about at reception.

So it was a very simple and straightforward, if MB Brooklands can do it, why not others, no need to over complicate thing, just for the sake of it.

Yes for a straightforward service, and with no other advisories, then what I experienced today, should be replicated at any other dealer, it’s when one has advisories, or intermittent faults, or other such like repairs, then a face to face conversation with a technician is more suitable, and this is where sometimes the dealer experience may not be positive, according to people who have experienced this. Whereby a good Indy, who one has built a good relationship with, and are on first name terms, like I am with Terry and W/Gates, can be very useful indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom