Service today, it should have been so easy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before COVID-19, MB Brooklands service department had their own customer waiting area (with a viewing area overlooking the service bays), where you'd sit with the service adviser and discuss the service, and on occasion the tech or service manager would join in. Not quite the same as an indie where you walk with the garage owner under your car, but reasonable enough for dealer service. Since COVID-19, they have (understandably) reduced the contact between staff members and customers to a minimum.

Before COVID-19, MB Brooklands service department had their own customer waiting area (with a viewing area overlooking the service bays), where you'd sit with the service adviser and discuss the service, and on occasion the tech or service manager would join in. Not quite the same as an indie where you walk with the garage owner under your car, but reasonable enough for dealer service. Since COVID-19, they have (understandably) reduced the contact between staff members and customers to a minimum.
Very true with walking under the car with Terry or his assistants, they become mates to be truthful, one asks about their family, and can talk about life in general whilst they are working on the car.

I respect the Americans right to fight me till my last dying breath for their bears to have 2 right arms.
Just out of interest which "Americans" are you referring to.
Those in NA or Latino SA like Argentina, Brazil or Venezuela etc, all have the right to bear arms !
Tuercas viejas
" El Venezolano "

Reactions: m80
To be fair to MB Brooklands, this is exactly what happened with me today, got asked my name, job sheet taken out, confirmed my number and email, handed over my keys, and off I went, approximately an hour later get a call from technician, confirms a visual check has been done, tells me disk/pads and tyre wear, and he tells me the report and video will be emailed shortly, and he will now continue with the service, 2 hours later get another call from technician to say the service has been completed, car will be parked at the front, and I should collect keys from reception in 10 minutes, and said service sheet and invoice (although i have service plan) will also be emailed shortly, so no need faffing about at reception.

So it was a very simple and straightforward, if MB Brooklands can do it, why not others, no need to over complicate thing, just for the sake of it.

Yes for a straightforward service, and with no other advisories, then what I experienced today, should be replicated at any other dealer, it’s when one has advisories, or intermittent faults, or other such like repairs, then a face to face conversation with a technician is more suitable, and this is where sometimes the dealer experience may not be positive, according to people who have experienced this. Whereby a good Indy, who one has built a good relationship with, and are on first name terms, like I am with Terry and W/Gates, can be very useful indeed.
Good to hear a positive report 👍

Just out of interest which "Americans" are you referring to.
Those in NA or Latino SA like Argentina, Brazil or Venezuela etc, all have the right to bear arms !
Tuercas viejas
" El Venezolano "
It's the reason I wear a sleeveless T-shirt: I have the right to bare arms......😬

To be fair:

"She - what's wrong with your car ?
Me - nothing ....... and show the problem with the roof."

Doesn't make a lot of sense!

Sweeping generalisation: All dealers are completely usesless - it's taken 3 days to book daughter's SEAT in for service. I tried to go around the call-centre by calling the garage direct - they spoke to me (eventually) but referred me to the call centre to make the booking. Only the system was down, but not down enough that they couldn't absolutely insist that the car must have a coolant change at 2yrs old. They're just stealing money off people.

I also booked wife's VW in, but I have the service manager's email and he gets someone to call me. I still had to walk them through the additional items - I only car as the car has an extended warranty -but presumeably they must never change brake and Haldex fluid, last time they did the Haldex their system had the wrong interval, it'd been wrong for 2yrs.

Depends on the dealer I suppose. MB in general I think are rubbish. On the other hand I walk into Lexus and they bend over backwards including sorting minor issues out for free at regular services.

I kind of regret not getting another one. Wanted to try Merc again but I still believe Lexus get the fundamentals right (build quality, comfort and customer service).

One of the downsides of call centre booking arrangements is that they are impersonal. As a result, they will only quote 'book' pricing for routine jobs like pads and discs and even MOTs with no allowance for the fact that they may, for example, have the wheels off anyway during a service.
Prior to Covid and this arrangement, I could get indy-competitive prices for pads, etc from my 'local', but not now. As said, they have you over a barrel. I haven't played the business elsewhere card yet. We'll see what happens next service.

Ernie

So yesterday I noticed all my footwell ambient lights were not working, the white footwell lights were coming on when the doors were opening though, also the ambient light to the right of the steering wheel, the section just above headlight switch was also not working, and also the left side of the steering wheel up to the menu button, was dim compared to everywhere else.

Did some google search about any known issue last night, couldn’t find anything related to my fault, contacted my Indy explaining the situation to him, booked car in for next week for him to have a look.

This afternoon i noticed front passenger white footwell light wasn’t coming on, but the rest were, looked where the light was, and noticed a electrical connector just hanging loose by the top of the carpet area, instantly I knew that MB Brooklands who serviced the car 2 weeks back, changed a filter (think it’s pollen filter) which is behind the carpet in the passenger footwell, didn’t reconnect the light, so I went about taking the trimmings out to reconnect the light, once completed, all ambient lights were working as they should.

Am certain the technician must have known he has forgotten to reconnect the light, as I could see the cable hanging, so surely he would have also, he probably didn’t want to take things all apart again to reconnect, not very professional though.

Fortunately I sorted it in 15 minutes, and didn’t have to waste my time or possibly money trying to get it fixed.

At least I know they have definitely changed the pollen filter though 😉

Anyway just for others out there who ever have a similar issue.

Update on the roof seal:
Called the dealer yesterday and they've agreed to change the roof seal F.O.C , just have to wait for the part to be delivered. RESULT

Well, the S63 went in this morning for a service, Although the car said a B service, I had requested a B service last year before buying it & its only done a few hundred miles this year. So arrived at Arnold Clark Mercedes Dundee, service guy said Its a B service. I explained & showed him last years print out & he said no problem, A service it is. Courtesy car is outside (no charges for this although some people are saying they are being charged). This is where I think dealers are missing future sales. I think at the least they should give you a higher spec model of what you have or really give you the next model up in the range. You may not buy one just now but the seed has been sown, should you like it. They gave me a GLA, decent car but not what I would buy (before you jump on me, no offence to GLA owners) but I am a long time owner of S classes.
I digress, picked the car up this afternoon, had a good five minute chat to the AMG technician discussing the car & said they hardly ever see the S63 Coupe. I had asked for them not to wash it & they had attached a dedicated red label to the interior mirror which said "do not wash". I kept the label, as I shall attach it to my other cars when they go for service.
First class service from Arnold Clark Mercedes, Dundee. We are always quick to highlight bad service but its good to commend good service.

If the previous Service B had been recorded correctly on the DSB and on ASSIST, the confusion could have been avoided.

Sadly I have experienced dealers not logging the service correctly. Always worth checking the DSB after a service then if need be call the garage and insist they correct the service record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom