Servicing at Mercedes or Halfords?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Correct, and more crucially, if your car is automatic then it will need to have the ATF changed next year - and this will be pricey unless you have a service plan.
The ATF service is a funny one.

I have had it done on the Mrs' SLK but have never bothered previously and did need a new box on my S class while it was under warranty thankfully.

However, there is a dealer who advertises on here and seems to sell exclusively diesel, auto MB from around 5 to 10 years old. I don't often see ATF services documented on the history that he provides for each car. The guy has a great reputation on here so I have to assume that very few cars that he sells suffer from auto gearbox failure post sale.

I have had it done on the Mrs' SLK but have never bothered previously and did need a new box on my S class while it was under warranty thankfully.

However, there is a dealer who advertises on here and seems to sell exclusively diesel, auto MB from around 5 to 10 years old. I don't often see ATF services documented on the history that he provides for each car. The guy has a great reputation on here so I have to assume that very few cars that he sells suffer from auto gearbox failure post sale.
Service history is often concise and does not always provides a full list of all service itmes replaced. You really need to look at the individual bills.

With regards official MB automatic transmission service internal, these can be 3 years, 4 years, 5 years or never ('sealed for life'), depending on the year and model.

As it happens I bought an ML 350 cdi from him. It had had a gearbox service at 37 k miles and as it was at about 70 k , when I bought it , I got him to service the gearbox and change the ATF , including the torque converter which he did at cost of materials only as part of pre collection servicing. It ran beautifully for the year that I had it !

Service history is often concise and does not always provides a full list of all service itmes replaced. You really need to look at the individual bills.

With regards official MB automatic transmission service internal, these can be 3 years, 4 years, 5 years or never ('sealed for life'), depending on the year and model.
Additionally...

In terms of mileage, the change interval ranges from 37,500 miles to 77,500.

And, for some cars it's 'change every xxxxx', while of others it's 'change once at xxxxx".

So again it really depends on the model and year of the car.

As it happens I bought an ML 350 cdi from him. It had had a gearbox service at 37 k miles and as it was at about 70 k , when I bought it , I got him to service the gearbox and change the ATF , including the torque converter which he did at cost of materials only as part of pre collection servicing. It ran beautifully for the year that I had it !
I mean no slight on the dealer.

I just noticed that sometimes the cars have had the service done but not always, my E class gearbox was perfect without any service.

Maybe we are conditioned to fret about such stuff as a result of the 2000 - 2008 (ish) chocolate MB equipment?

I wouldn't take my 15 year old, 170000 mile beater Volvo to Halfords. In fact I'd not let them near a bloody roller skate. Find a good indie, Halfrauds is for snow foam and sponges. Seriously bud, why on earth buy a premium brand car and let some spotty teenagers feck it up.

As others have said, if I see Halfords on the service record when buying a car, I'd walk off because if that is how little you care for it then it's going to be a shed...........

Some years ago, I used to service the car for my retired father.
When it needed a new set of tyres, I took it to the local Halford's for a set of 4.
A BIG MISTAKE !!!!
BIG - BIG - BIG !!!!
I drove it away ... All appeared OK.
About a year later, the car was due for a service.
As usual, I took off all 4 wheels to check brake and suspension parts.
Every brake nut had been fitted using a badly-fitting socket on a Halford's air gun.
Every one was completely rounded off.
The guy fitting the wheels must have been brain-dead.
Every wheel nut had to be removed using a Lancashire spanner [hammer and cold chisel ].
A new full set of nuts was required for each wheel.

Thank heavens that my elderly father hadn't suffered a puncture in this time and faced this problem in an emergency situation at the roadside.

Halfords ........ I wouldn't pay them to empty the ash trays.

I wouldn’t get Halfords to service anything. Maybe let them try and change a headlight bulb on a Golf for a laugh (you have to take the bumper off). Some of their socket sets and spanner’s are OK though, with a lifetime warranty.

Some of their socket sets and spanners are OK though, with a lifetime warranty.

That's true - But would they honour the guarantee some years down the line ?
Would they even be in business ?
Lifetime warranties are easily handed out and sound good, but may not be so easily realised.

Lifetime warranty aslong as products are on the shelves being sold.

I'd rather take it to the local farm shop than Halfords , they would have more of a clue what they were doing with it than them Clowns.

It's quite broad view to say they are all rubbish. ;)

I know guys that work at Kwik-Fit who are very good mechanics, time served and VOSA registered for MOT's and I'd trust them to do my car for certain things.
A friend takes his old car to the local Halfords and is very pleased with the service he gets.

I'm sure there are a "lot" of bad service guys in these sort of places but to say they are all the same would be incorrect in my opinion.

Then again our Service Manager at my closest main Mercedes dealer once said to me "seems you know about these cars than I do".

Back to the OP question, it's unlikely Halfords will be doing exactly the same service points as the main dealer (assuming the dealer does everything!) so its doubtful it is a like for like comparison.
It wouldn't be my choice on a fairly young MB car and as others have said would make me consider a purchase down the line.

I'd find a good Indy where you can be assured they are going to do the work stated.

In terms of MB indies look for one that's officially subscribed to the MB service system-- this means they take out some form of annual subscription and invest in the correct MB diagnostic system. This will permit them to add to/access to the car's digital service record, recall notices and software updates. For most modern MB's this is probably the way to go, but this does involve financial commitment by the independant and will be reflected in their labour charges [ still usually cheaper than the official MB service route] Also depends on just how intrusive the service is going to be and how its recorded -if your car still has a service book to stamp then the above may not apply?

In terms of MB indies look for one that's officially subscribed to the MB service system-- this means they take out some form of annual subscription and invest in the correct MB diagnostic system. This will permit them to add to/access to the car's digital service record, recall notices and software updates. For most modern MB's this is probably the way to go, but this does involve financial commitment.

Access to Mercedes DSB only is actually a no cost option for an independant dealer.

It's only if you want to have a Star system etc. that this involves equipment and payment(s).

Access to Mercedes DSB only is actually a no cost option for an independant dealer.

It's only if you want to have a Star system etc. that this involves equipment and payment(s).

This could change after Brexit - unless the UK agrees with the EU to retain the EU Block Exemption.

Some of their socket sets and spanners are OK though, with a lifetime warranty.

That's true - But would they honour the guarantee some years down the line ?
Would they even be in business ?
Lifetime warranties are easily handed out and sound good, but may not be so easily realised.

I managed to shear off one of their Torx sockets once. Took in the broken one and they replaced it with a new one; no need for a receipt or proof of purchase. Times are hard for retailers but I hope they do survive.

So I have a 2015 Mercedes C250 AMG Line premium + bluetec and it is due a ‘B service’. I have got a quote from Mercedes at £468 and for a full service at Halfords it’s £189. Just wanted some advice on which one, as the previous services were done at Mercedes garage before I bought it, but at half the price is it worth going to Halfords? I don’t plan on selling this car in the foreseeable future so not too worried about resale value when buyer sees Halfords stamps. The mileage is 25,400. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
do not go to halfords! mercedes do a service plan where you can pay monthly! £36 a month for my mercedes c220cdi 2012

It's definitely worth doing - I do something similar with my cheap daily runner. However, since you're covering most things yourself I don't see the need to spend £350 each year on a main dealer service plan.

He puts used engine oil in his car ???

I used to give my old oil to a pal who was quite happy to put it in his Metro. Mind you, I was changing the oil every 500 miles. No, I'm not missing a zero, five hundred. It was a Renault 4CV without an oil filter. I think that the official oil change period was every 1500km.

LG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom