• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Settings wont change

DoN7B1ink

Car
C-Class 180 Sport 2002
Hey all, not sure if im doing something wrong, just went into my merc and changed the settings from kph to mph but still showing kph, this is what i did, turn the keep to the 2nd position then went though the menus and change it to mph then i pressed on the button with the 2 windows assuming that it will change to mph but it still showing kph, took the key out and back on and still the same, do i need to start the engine to change it?

The car always shows KPH in the cluster LCD as the speedo is only in MPH.

To change this you need to have the car recoded to Dutch coding.

The car always shows KPH in the cluster LCD as the speedo is only in MPH.

To change this you need to have the car recoded to Dutch coding.

Oh i see thanx for that, so why does it have kph and mph in the options if you cant change it?

It has to display KPH by law, so even though it's listed in the options, you can't change it on a UK car.

I think you need to press the + or - buttons to 'enter' the selected option. Pressing the 'window' button moves you on to the next menu, cancelling the previous selection.

I think Will is describing how one can permanently set the display to mph (in the outside temp display)- I thought this was only on later (facelift) 203s?

If you don't have an owner's handbook, download one from here, American version but close enough!

Mercedes-Benz - Home of C, E, S, CLS, CL, SLK, SL, R, GLK, M, GL, G Class - Service and Parts - Owners Manuals

It has to display KPH by law, so even though it's listed in the options, you can't change it on a UK car.

One can and one has ;)

The requirement is that the car is capable of displaying kph, which it is by selecting that setting.

I think you need to press the + or - buttons to 'enter' the selected option. Pressing the 'window' button moves you on to the next menu, cancelling the previous selection.

Yes thats what i did, should have explained better, i press + to set it to mph then i pressed one of the window buttons.

Yes thats what i did, should have explained better, i press + to set it to mph then i pressed one of the window buttons.

Download the handbook, it's hard to explain (well for me anyway!)

Edit - Reading it again, I think you need to press either the ^ or v button to 'set' the option. The window button will move you to the next menu.

Last edited:
Is Dutch coding the same as UK mode deletion? IIRC Alfie mentioned it was coding the cluster to something like world-wide i.e removing UK specific code. I thought Dutch coding brought things like chirp on locking?

Download the handbook, it's hard to explain (well for me anyway!)

Edit - Reading it again, I think you need to press either the ^ or v button to 'set' the option. The window button will move you to the next menu.

Well i cant remember what i pressed but i highlighted the mph as i moved it a few times but left it on the mph, how can i have outside temp permamant? does it need recoding?

It only needs to be able to display kph, not a requirement for driving in UK.

You can get this done, on some Mercs, I know the w203 can be done. Which reminds me I need to get mine done.

Is Dutch coding the same as UK mode deletion? IIRC Alfie mentioned it was coding the cluster to something like world-wide i.e removing UK specific code. I thought Dutch coding brought things like chirp on locking?

And does Dutch mean that everything is in Dutch? I did not realize it was this simple?I thought it was like chipping a phone and something was done via the STAR machine.

It is done via STAR and no it's not in Dutch. Well mine isn't ;)

Guys, I am a tiny bit confused with this. Is it possible to change the LCD display from kph to mph without putting the vehicle on STAR. Can it be done at home by going through the menu and at the relevant point, flicking the window up/down button as is suggested above or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick.

It can be changed via the steering wheel buttons but it will revert to kph on the next ign on. Only STAR can change it permanently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom