Shed / Garden Workshop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ierton

Car
Volvo V60 T6 Recharge - BMW 1250GS
Looking for a wooden shed / workshop about 12 x 8 - any recommendations?

Pressure treated / tanalised / natural log cabin ?
12mm / 15mm shiplap / 19mm loglap ?

teatime.gif

Some places I've looked:

sheds.co.uk
ShedStore
Garden Buildings Direct
Waltons
Sheds Direct
Skinners Sheds
Tesco

Need it to be sturdy - want to fit a workbench at one end and I have a compressor / shelves / tool boxes etc.

Used Waltons before, good value for money. Remember treat with good proofer ( CuprinoL) before assembly, this will ensure longer life. It may be worth fitting additional battens to the sides for extra strenght for shelving etc.

Check the quality before buying. I bought 2 for this house, a 10 x 10 garden shed that was obviously built down to a price rather than up to a standard (and compared to the other one, it showed!). The 12 x 7 (later extended to 18 x 7) for my carpentry workshop was a lot more expensive but is far sturdier and better quality.

For the workshop, which had 50mm framing, I bought 40mm Kingspan insulation board and cut it to fit between the framing of 3 sides and the roof (4th side is all door), then clad the inside walls and roof with 18mm ply, which means I can screw things to the walls just about anywhere. I've made and fitted workbench (with drawers and cupboards under) full width of the closed end and most of the way up one side, attached to 4x2 screwed to the walls!

Thanks.

How do you check the quality of a product bought online though?

A bit far - my cousin ( a carpenter) made mine- 12ft x 12ft, apex roof.

Here's the spec:

Everything tanalised except the shiplap.
3"x2" bearers for supporting the floor
3/4" exterior ply floor
3"x2" uprights
Redwood shiplap (less knots than whitewood)
4"x2" rafters
6"x1" ridge (I think)
1/2" exteror ply roof
Heavy duty felt (not the cheap shed felt)
Framed/ledged/braced door (much more sturdy and allows proper hinges)
Creocote (oil based creosote replacement)

The cheaper sheds use 2"x1.5" or 2"x2" uprights and rafters, featheredge board or whitewood shiplap, T&G floors and roofs and shed felt.

I hope that helps- I can post a couple of pictures tomorrow if that would help?

Cheers.

I've noticed the more expensive sheds all use T&G floors and roofs - though I suppose exterior or marine ply of your thickness isn't an option!

We Brought our Workshop from this company they even delivered and installed it all we had to do is paint it
Timberlux

Add to developer215's post - build your own

Go look at sheds at anywhere local & note the materials used. Sketch it out & list the quantities of materails needed and get a couple of local builders merchants to quote.

Last one I built was 12' x 8' and cost about £350, compared to buying at over £600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom