Sheffield crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Folks

It bothers me that I wrote this in an open forum. But hey, it bothered me enough to make me feel, I need to write about it. A day later and it still bothers me.

So why did I write it? Well here is the thing. I would ask that all of us have a little think before replying to threads like this where it may be reasonable to expect that some members on here will have been directly or, indirectly caught up in something similar that makes them feel strongly enough to publish a response.

These are not victimless crimes (are any crimes victimless?). People die and others lives are torn apart, all on the whim of some fool. Families are destroyed in the most awful slow burn manner. To some of our members these are not words on a forum. These are real people, loved ones, people who filled lives and now fill them for all the wrong reasons.

Sometimes the victims response may well appear harsh. But there is little left apart from harshness. Some can forgive, others cannot. But that was not a choice for them.

Enough said. In my families case, it still hurts every minute of every day. It doesn't go away.

Enough waffle from me.
Bruce , I can’t begin to comprehend what you and Ted must be living with every single day for the rest of your lives .

That’s why I think sentencing in serious enough cases should impose a similar punishment on the wrongdoers - something that will never go away , and something which will give them cause to remember their crime every single day until they die .

It’s no less than they dealt that out to their victims , and the families of their victims.

Bruce , I can’t begin to comprehend what you and Ted must be living with every single day for the rest of your lives .

That’s why I think sentencing in serious enough cases should impose a similar punishment on the wrongdoers - something that will never go away , and something which will give them cause to remember their crime every single day until they die .

It’s no less than they dealt that out to their victims , and the families of their victims.

Derek

My post was not directed at yourself. More a general blow off.

Regards punishment or sentencing. Prison is shown not to work, whatever “work” means here? Many of those who go inside see it as an easier lifestyle. Yes, they may consider some loss of liberty. But that’s it. They don’t suffer the pain, the tears, the loss that never goes away.

Many spend their days amusing each other with tales of their exploits. They know that a clean sheet will see them walk amongst us within a short period of time. Certainly while their victims are still serving their sentence.

I have no answers. Personally I would pull the trigger on the guy who murdered our family. Does it make me feel better? Who knows? I have not done it. But he deserved it and deserved to know it was coming.

I’m too old now to fight battles rolling around the deck. But I can still want my pound of flesh. I can still hope for justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to keep a cool head when discussing this very sombre topic...

Here's a thought. The person who drove his car while drunk and killed a family, or the joy-rider who drove at 60mph in a 30mph zone and hit a child on his way to school... they never set-out to kill anyone.

And have they been given the choice, they would have obviously preferred it didn't happen.

What they did do, was to callously take a risk that ended-up costing people's lives.

So in what way are they any different to someone who got caught driving while drunk, or doing 60mph in a 30mph zone, but by a stoke of luck didn't cause an accident and didn't kill anyone?

Both those who ended-up killing and those who got caught before they hurt anyone, had exactly the same frame of mind. Why would their punishments be different?

How about punishment based on the severity of the offence, and not on on the severity of its (intended or unintended) consequences?

E.g., anyone caught knowingly driving a rubbish lorry with faulty brakes will get the same sentence as someone who actually crashed the lorry and killed people.

The severity of the offence is the same... the lack of consequences is down to pure luck. Why should we be rewarding 'luck' with lenient punishment?

In the same vein, anyone stabbing or shooting another person will get the same sentence regardless of whether his victim lives or dies. The perpetrator should not get any time off simply because the victim survived due to a miracle (or to quick response from paramedics).

The only difference between murder and attempted murder is that in the latter case the would-be killer did a poor job. As far as the offending is concerned, both people set-out to kill another person. Why the different punishments?

Last edited:
Criminal - "life" sentence with a likelihood of parole and early release.
Victim's family - life sentence with no chance of parole, no early release.

I read not that long ago, and no, not in the daily mail, about a father whose last and most searing memory of his daughter is of her bike, with its pretty pink tassles laying abandoned in the street. His daughter raped and murdered to fulfill an evil creature's sordid desire.

He has no escape from that memory, no parole, no good behaviour.

Another story from recent times about a 2 year old, murdered by his crazed stepfather for losing his shoe in the park. His last moments, screaming in fear, heard by passers-by.

Emotional you say? Damn right it is and it bloody well should be for anyone with any empathy in them.
I'd happily have the ****ers shot. What does it cost to keep them in maximum security? Waste of money.

Criminal - "life" sentence with a likelihood of parole and early release.
Victim's family - life sentence with no chance of parole, no early release.

I read not that long ago, and no, not in the daily mail, about a father whose last and most searing memory of his daughter is of her bike, with its pretty pink tassles laying abandoned in the street. His daughter raped and murdered to fulfill an evil creature's sordid desire.

He has no escape from that memory, no parole, no good behaviour.

Another story from recent times about a 2 year old, murdered by his crazed stepfather for losing his shoe in the park. His last moments, screaming in fear, heard by passers-by.

Emotional you say? Damn right it is and it bloody well should be for anyone with any empathy in them.
I'd happily have the ****ers shot. What does it cost to keep them in maximum security? Waste of money.

We learned in seconds how fickle life is. No time for goodbyes, nothing. Yet we had years to endure his grinning murderer.

Derek

My post was not directed at yourself. More a general blow off....

Bruce , neither perceived nor taken that way .

So far a civilised discussion on a difficult topic .

Trying to keep a cool head when discussing this very sombre topic...

Here's a thought. The person who drove his car while drunk and killed a family, or the joy-rider who drove at 60mph in a 30mph zone and hit a child on his way to school... they never set-out to kill anyone.

And have they been given the choice, they would have obviously preferred it didn't happen.

What they did do, was to callously take a risk that ended-up costing people's lives.

So in what way are they any different to someone who got caught driving while drunk, or doing 60mph in a 30mph zone, but by a stoke of luck didn't cause an accident and didn't kill anyone?

Both those who ended-up killing and those who got caught before they hurt anyone, had exactly the same frame of mind. Why would their punishments be different?

How about punishment based on the severity of the offence, and not on on the severity of its (intended or unintended) consequences?

E.g., anyone caught knowingly driving a rubbish lorry with faulty brakes will get the same sentence as someone who actually crashed the lorry and killed people.

The severity of the offence is the same... the lack of consequences is down to pure luck. Why should we be rewarding 'luck' with lenient punishment?

In the same vein, anyone stabbing or shooting another person will get the same sentence regardless of whether his victim lives or dies. The perpetrator should not get any time off simply because the victim survived due to a miracle (or to quick response from paramedics).

The only difference between murder and attempted murder is that in the latter case the would-be killer did a poor job. As far as the offending is concerned, both people set-out to kill another person. Why the different punishments?

Many good points , and these matters are indeed weighed up by the judiciary when considering sentencing .

First point, I can not even begin to imagine what you guys have been through, it has affected me, that is unusual.

The human brain is computer like - program it wrong and it will cause trouble. Program it correctly and it won't as much. First thing the Military does is destroy the bad programming and replace it with good [for them] programming. Prison does the opposite in terms of what is good for society.

If the military cannot reprogram the man [which is unlikely unless the brain is ill] then hand him over to the medical people, not prison on it's own, unless you want people re-programmed like a prison on the streets.

Well, do ya punk! :):)

Yes, it is believed they were racing. The dead woman was a pedestrian.

Yes - I saw that on social media, Sunday night. Not too far from me, I shop at Lidl on Bilton Road.
Tragedy - it does appear they were racing, and they aren’t young.

Cars are missiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom